Don Matwe's Army Challenge Chaos Blog

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Don Matwe's Army Challenge Chaos Blog

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Ok, the basement is all dry and my daughters 3 week holiday is over so she's gone back home. I can now start with the army challenge, but it doesn't look good this month. I may have to admit that I'm no Jedi and take a wildcard this month. I'll just give 'er nails in Sept.

Sorry lads, but this is what I think I'll start with:

Beastmen Ltd ed BSB, and converted Khazrak. I took his whip and changed it to a arrow-ridden shield that he's holding above his head.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Don Matwe's Army Challenge Chaos Blog

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:16 pm

well gets to painting! You can do those two guys up, no problem!

Glad to hear your house is fixed up.

Nice work on the shield, I really dig it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:31 pm

yeah cool idea on the shield.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Proof that I started. I'm in the mood to paint lately, so I should be just truckin' along in the next few weeks.

I don't use whips, so I changed it to a sheild.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Very Nice Don! What I like about it the most is that if you didn't tell me you did any converting on the model, I wouldn't know. That really is a compliment! Nice attention to detail on areas like the arrows and the chipped paint detail on the shield. Well done, and I am glad the painting bug has hit you. Look forward to seeing more.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Yeah I'm really quite impressed with this model, much better than the original version.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:22 pm

I figured I'd better do this properly so as not to repeat my last performance. These 2 barrels o' fun are going to be my Nov entry. I'm trying to decide whether to make them identical, or to "mark" them by giving them colors that would indicate a Nurgle, Khorne, Slaanesh, or tzeentch army. I can't wait to start these a few days before Dec!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Now that is an impressive sight. Kind of reminds me of a picture I saw in white dwarf one time.....a fellow bought an army all in one shot. He stacked the boxes up and they came up tohis shoulders....I thought that was really cool.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I have done ZERO painting in a loooong time. My lack of a November entry should be pretty obvious. Anyone that knows me will know that I have been very busy the last 6 weeks. My gal and I are trying to buy a house, open a Comic Readers' store by the new year, and get married in January. Every single night has been a ton of papers, advice and nervous excitment/stress. Just thought I would fill you guys in, so you didn't think it was you. Well, maybe it's Scott, but the rest of you are fine.... Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:37 pm

I started these a couple days ago. As of now they are primed and brown..not very exciting. Gotta' start somewhere though. I wanted to put Ogre Tyrant arms on the DB, but I don't think I'll have time.

In the raw. You'll notice the Great Weapons!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I see some basing touch-ups?

I luv minotaurs! You should go to town on making up some really big great weapons for these boyz

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 pm

As of Tues night, still have lots to do and not impressed, but they'll be done!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I changed his arms to the Ogre Kingdom Tyrants' arms. Added an unfortunate villager and you have this. Not quite half finished, but you get the idea...

Oh ya, do your rank and file cost $25.00 each? Mostly done. Half my frickin' paints are dried up and the ones that are still "good" are so dry they are practically paste. These Mino's were painted in dust.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 pm

really nice Don, they look awesome. I especially like the doombull conversion. Skin a nd fur areas have nice depth.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 am

Can't wait to see them running away on Sunday. Nice work.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 am

Scott, always the eloquent one...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Alright. I have been using a lot of glue lately (for figs) and now I feel it's time to paint.

This is what I have assembled lately:

That's 15 Knights, 10 Horsemen, 60 Marauders, 2 Stegadons that I'll use for Warshrines and a stack of other stuff to the left. The other stuff is 36 Warriors, a bunch of different Lords, champions and 2 Hellcannons. The Hellcannons are actually assembled and are easily the most pain in the ass model I've put together -- except for an OK scraplauncher. 2 Hellcannons can suck down a can of primer almost by themselves. I want to paint them all "Tzeentchy" so I want the flame skulls the same style as the Dark Elf Sorceress "spirit vapour" circling around her. Look at the DE armybook and you'll know what I mean.

The Stegadon Warshrines I want to paint "Chaos" style..whatever that means. I have a gamesday Archaon on foot and a Harry the Hammer coming in the mail to put on top of these guys. I thought of painting the 2 most famous Chaos characters like gold statues and mounting them on top of the Stegadon Howdah's for all to worship. Throw some skulls and other sacrificial items on top with a few chaos banners and call it done.

This is my first attempt at a snow theme for bases, so if anyone can let me in on their recipes for snow that would be appreciated.

Scott, I asked you how you do your gold and you ignored me --like a man protecting his gold Wink I thought it looked awesome on the "Spartan" fig you did and would like to rip it off, er...I mean copy it.

I posted this so I'll get off my ass and start painting!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Looks like the start of something good there Don. I'm interested to see your take on snow bases. You know I might steal your steagadon idea and use it for the cauldron of blood.

A good gold recipe I have found is......tin bits base color, then thin layers of shining gold, devlan mud wash, rehighlight with shining gold, final highlights of chainmail on the edges.

Lets see your first test model when its ready!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 21, 2009 9:50 am

I was going to follow this fellows' recipe for snow:
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=17048&st=0&hl=

His gold reads a little involved

I'm taking my 24 painted warriors -- green bases and all, and converting them. They used to have 2 hand weapons, but I'm going to give them sheilds and use the lances from the new Knights box set to give them all Halberds. They were painted with a muddy brown ink but I'm going to highlight the armour to make them pop a little more. Oh ya', and maybe change the color of the fur. I'll post before and after photo's.

It might be easier to just start over Rolling Eyes

Where does everyone get that cork to put on character bases?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu May 21, 2009 11:25 am

Oh, sorry Don!

How I did my gold brass color.

I use Vallejo Model color paints for this. Most have GW equivalent except for their old brass, which is a green tinted brass color. It's the balls man!

I'll try to aproximate.

Start with Tin bitz base coat. Thinned at least 3:1 water to paint. When doing the seperate layers paint in a different direction to get better coverage. Should take about 4-5 passes, but with thin paint applied with not much on the brush it takes about 40 seconds for each layer to dry.

Next I used the VMC old brass. This could be aproximated by maybe using a little of the GW thraka green wash as a glaze over the metal, but I am not 100%. That's why you should play nurgle man, no freakin rules! Again thinned about 3:1.

-Note- For just getting these guys onthe table there's no sin in just using thick paint and drybrushing. I'd just spruce the gold up with some purple and or green glazes at the end of things.

Also these aren't blanket coats. I put on a little less each time, and I am TRYING to get better at metal. Try to put the paint only where the reflection would come from. A useful tip, especially if you paint where your computer is would be to take a picture in a dark room with only a desk lamp coming from your imaginary light source and use that as a reference.

Next I do a layer of VMC Old gold, which is close to a gold mixed about 25% with mithril silver. Then I hit it all with a thinned devlan mud, about 1/2 water. If it looks to blah, I go back and apply a little of the old gold color. Then after that I take a pure mithril silver and do just a few highlights.

This sounds more impressive and time consuming then it is. I took MAYBE 20 minutes on that Spartan shield. I could do better now.... but anyway.

Also for those wanted really good metalic paint, try and wrangle some of the Vallejo Model Air mettalic paints! They rock the body that rocks the party! Their ultra fine pigment and go on smooth as shit. Very nice!

Good luck with the painting Don. If you ever get frustrated putting together GW stuff, try some of the privateer press hordes stuff. Eat my knob, they're terrible!

I'm getting better at the painting gig, I can put some stuff up at around or over the 8.0 mark on CMON now. Very little of it is warhammer, so I don't spam it here, but gettin' better! I do have the hankerin' for an army to paint. Funny thing is I want to do greenskins. I juts never get sick of them! My urge to paint dwarfs is about as high as my urge to eat a bucket of stash poo (Not very high at all) but I'll have more time this summer for gaming! Yippee!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Here's my gold:

Shining gold
Chestnut ink wash
Burnished gold

MAYBE highlight. Maybe.

You see how lame that is? It's exactly how I painted the Khorne Lord so fast. It's kindergarten stuff. I want that "old" look to my gold.

I've seen other painted metals and have been impressed noticing that sometimes they paint brown first, and then use Green and Purple washes?! Suspect That makes NO sense to me, but it obviously works. This is my next step to larger world (Star Wars quote)

I'm kind of stuck though. I would like to paint something other than the traditional Gold/Black, but it looks so good! I also don't want to mark my army with certain colors, but I think a Tzeentchy undertone would be cool. The Hellcannons and Warshrines are going to subtley carry those colors. I don't want a bright red army, but blues and dark purples would look good.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Don, what you need to do is pick up a model that has NOTHING to do with warhammer, especially any projects you're working on now.

My problem when I tried to look for newer and more complex techniques was that I has to undo the years and years of painting habits we get in from painting armies and White Dwarf really beign our only guide to painting. I'm guessing you fall in the same category.

I'm sure that when you hear about a recipe or technique you visualize it on a chaos lord, or whatever, and think "That just doesn't won't look _right_!", and that's the problem. GW has done an amazing job of selling us on their world, and I love it. But to really try out new stuff you have GOT to break from the old school ideas we all grew on.

I strongly reccomend picking up something cheap, or not so cheap, that when you look at it, there are no rules or preconceptions about army colors or whatever from another range. Maybe not even game related. Next time you're around step into my carhold and I'll set you up.

A box of zombies is the best place to try out skintones. No failures in color choices there right?

So that's my advice. You a re tremendous painter, I still think with better bases you would've took best presentation in Calgary. Trying new things is NOT easy when you've painted 1500ish models one way, then try to switch to another.

Good luck!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu May 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Thraka green washes over the gold with a final purple wash make gold look nice and old. There is a really good article in the last white dwarf that illustrates this type of thing.

Seeing your chaos models makes me want to make a purchase....hmmmmmm!

I too am making a concerted effort to improve my painting although not to the level that Scott is. I actually enjoy painting models that I might play a game with sometime in the future, although this tends to limit me with what I can do for experimentation.

I fully understands what table top standard means now. Do I want to spend 10hrs on a RNF fig or do I want to finish an army before hell freezes over.
There is definitely a happy medium between a great looking army and the hell reference.

So am I going to be the only one left standing in our army challenge.....I'm just about done sucka's

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Thraka green washes over the gold with ba final purple wash make gold look nice and old

Carson, save some of that Whiskey for when I come visit!

Scott, great point about the non-GW figs. I used to paint Rackham and Grenadier figs...in 1986. I'll be honest; When I see some figs painted on Cmon, or whatever, I usually think 'Wow, but what's the point? You can't game with them!' AND I usually look at some models, especially from guys that paint in a blending style like Jeremie Bonamant and tell myself that that kind of blending just wouldn't work on my figs...all GW, of course.

You're absolutely right about being brainwashed to paint 'Eavy Metal' style. I just finished watching P3 and Jeremie's painting video's (review up soon) which confirmed I do every single thing wrong. I farted around with a wet palette recently and wondered how I ever painted without it. Awesome. I monkeyed around with a unit of Horrors and was really impressed with how you can "move" paint with one.

When someone enters those painting challenges on Swamp/Wamp do you supply your own figs, or do you trade to paint the other guys fig?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 21, 2009 7:53 pm

I too am making a concerted effort to improve my painting although not to the level that Scott is. I actually enjoy painting models that I might play a game with sometime in the future, although this tends to limit me with what I can do for experimentation.
I think you could surprise yourself. Watch the P3 painting DVD. It's basic, but there's a few moments where you might have a lightbulb go off.

I fully understands what table top standard means now. Do I want to spend 10hrs on a RNF fig or do I want to finish an army before hell freezes over.
There is definitely a happy medium between a great looking army and the hell reference.
That's my problem. If I didn't have ADHD, I could improve my painting game even more. I start out great and get so impatient that I wreck all the hard work I've done on a fig.

So am I going to be the only one left standing in our army challenge.....I'm just about done sucka's
I was waiting for someone to bring that up Sad

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top