Trevor Y.'s Wood Elves.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trevor Y.'s Wood Elves.

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Some of you might remember these, many of you probably haven't seen them, so I thought I would post some old pics of them. The pics aren't great, but at least you can see the colors. I did a winter theme with them. I still have 20 Eternal Guard, 3 Warhawk Riders, 5 Wild Riders, and a High Elf Noble on Horseback to paint. Then the whole army is fully painted and I can move onto a new one!!!
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trevor Y.'s Wood Elves.

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Very nice stuff! Very clean and the theme looks great. Love the light sourcing too!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks. I am painting 3 Warhawk Riders today. Might be able to use them the next game I play. Never tried them before. I haven't painted for around 3-4 years, so I was a little nervous to start. But it seems to be going okay so far.

Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Sometimes taking a break is a good thing. I layed off for the past couple months and I think it helped me. I'd be more worried about the condition of the paint you're using after that long on the shelf. It looks like you're using Vallejo Game colour, right?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 pm

It's Vallejo Model Series. And yes, they are in rough shape. They used to be smooth as silk. Now many of them are grainy and like mud. I'm really fighting with them while painting these three minis... Blending has become extremely difficult because of the consistency of the paint. Sad

I'm not liking how these are turning out. But it is all I have right now, so I will push on... Feels like I am using $1 craft paint at the moment...

Last edited by Trevor Y. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:15 pm

3-4 years is a bit long for paint to keep especially after it's open. since the time you've been painting GW has improved their bottles so they don't dry as quickly. I'd pick up a few of those if you wanted to keep with the game style of paint.

How thin are you going with the paint on these newest mini's?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:21 am

I agree with the sentiments above. .. very nice use of colour and very smooth. I find light colours the hardest to get looking even, it's only recently I've slowly started to improve a little, but I'm not at your level! Excellent work!!

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 am

ScottRadom wrote:3-4 years is a bit long for paint to keep especially after it's open. since the time you've been painting GW has improved their bottles so they don't dry as quickly. I'd pick up a few of those if you wanted to keep with the game style of paint.

How thin are you going with the paint on these newest mini's?

I normally thin my paint a lot and apply multiple layers. However, I am finding it difficult because the pigment has been compromised due to age. Still trying to keep it very thin though. Sadly I feel like I am being forced to do washes to assist in the blending, and I don't normally do washes except in certain situations/models. Very frustrating. I am fighting to get coverage, it is always either too thick, or too thin... No middleground.

I have a question. What have you found to be the best primer to use with plastic minis?

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I use Tamiya fine primer. I don't think it's available in Canada anymore. I usually have to get someone to special order it in the states or UK and ship it surface to me.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm

I currently use tremclad primer for my metal minis, and find it works amazingly. That primer hugs the metal mini tight. I haven't painted plastic minis for a while, so I can't remember what I used for them!!!

I think I will pick up the 72 bottle starter VGC, and bunch of Tomb Kings this week. My Eagles Riders are pretty much destroyed by the paint I used. I am not sure how I will salvage them yet. Sadly, they will be the ugliest unit in my army. I am thinking of waiting for my new paint before I try and fix them. But they surely will still look like hell. Tomb Kings look very easy to paint, so it will not take long to get this army up and running.

I only have 20 Eternal Guard, Eternal Guard BSB, EG Champion, EG Musician, 16 Glade Guard, and 5 Wild Riders before I run out of Warhammer Wood Elf minis to paint. Sadly, I never found I needed any of these units in the games I played in the past. Debating on selling some of them, as most of them are still in sealed boxes. That is why I never got around to paint them.
Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Warhawk riders are one of the most useless units in the wood elf army so don't worry about messing that one up, the eternal guard aren't spectacular either but the models are nice. I love wild riders though and I think a unit in your color scheme would look really cool.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:09 pm

nathanr wrote:Warhawk riders are one of the most useless units in the wood elf army so don't worry about messing that one up, the eternal guard aren't spectacular either but the models are nice. I love wild riders though and I think a unit in your color scheme would look really cool.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I really haven't missed these units at all. But I've always wanted to try them and the Wild Riders out. I actually have the Wild Riders all primed to be painted. So they are definitely next on my list to paint. Might be a few weeks to a month before I can get new paint tho. Sad

I am actually excited to try out Tomb Kings, and am planning out a new army to start painting. Smile

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I just finished putting together 6 Treekin (I now have 9 total)... Smile I can actually build a somewhat reasonable 2500 point force now...

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top