Building a Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Building a Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am

Following on from the "Time of Legends" section of the 8th Ed rulebook (p426) I was inspired to create my own version of the Doom Engine, created by Hothgar, the renegade Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer of the Forge:

Mine isn't going to look the same at all, but it will be a Chaos Dwarf-forged siege tower and warmachine Wink

Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine
This is just the back of the doom engine where the actual furnace is located. There's a slave ogre who is in charge of feeding the furnace Wink

The Slave Ogre will be tossing a goblin into the furnace, with another human scrambling to get out as his body is consumed.

This is what I have for the front so far... very rough, but gives the idea.

The lower level will have two spiked steam roller parts from the Ork battewagon upgrade pack, along with a small inlet for any foes that haven't been slain to be captured and herded into slave pens, ultimately for using as fuel for the furnace. The back side of the lowest level will also be where the troops enter or exit from. The second level is the furnace and slave pens and the 3rd level will be where the troops are stored and deployed from. The top-most level will be for the driver, which will be one of the classic big hat champion models, converted to be pulling levers.

Front view

View of the side of the wheels so far (note the spiked rollers aren't attached yet as I haven't figured otu exactly what they're doing)

Rear view

Top level of the troop deployment area (I'm thinking a trap door in the floor will be enough to imply how they get around). There are stairs in there so the troops are somewhat tiered.

Rear troop loading platform

Rear view again with the gunners nest used to provide covering fire to the rear Wink

The rear opening for the blunderbuss models is removable and I cut it so that the the flat-topped big hat Blunderbuss models as well as the Fireglaive models will fit

Prisoners/flesh fuel, to be held in a prisoner cage behind the Slave Ogre

Slave Ogre feeding the furnace

Front view so far with new pilot level

In keeping with the 'big hat' design style of taller is better, I decided the tower needed to be just a little taller, and of course there needed to be somewhere for the driver to go!

Top of the Doom Engine Siege Tower - Pilot seat

The fuel cell Wink

Finishing off some of the main features of the rear section - troop loading entrance.

Full-length rear view. The backing for the troop storage and deployment area at the top is removable to make it easier to load/unload and is magnetized.

Side turrets with Chaos Dwarf crew. Some GS is still required for the converted Champion.

The turrets are held into the sides with two brass rods, but will ultimately be glued down.

The assault platform closes flush with the front of the Doom Engine, but folds down and is help in place with two support rods. The only risk now is if the assault platform is loaded up with an all-metal unit, as it'll cause the Doom Engine to tip forward Razz

Making Chaos trim for all of the edges. This is also the inlet at the front of the Doom Engine for capturing any surviving enemy infantry that survive the meat grinders.

The meat grinders... these took way more time to align and place than I thought possible as a few bits were very slightly askew when I made the outer frame.

Close up of the Fuel Cell door. Until I put the lock and chain on it it really did open.

Close-up of the daemonic furnace and trim pieces

Chaos Dwarf relief artwork - (thanks grupax!). My idea for the side panels... given that my freehand sucks I'm cheating a little and making several layers of this to then paint on top of Razz

And yeah, the "base" that the model is on in the above picture is an 8x11" folder, which it just fits, with less than 1" border of free space around. I may make up a scenic base for this thing, but that's a whole other project Razz

That's it so far... still lots left to do!!
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Building a Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 am

Here's an update on where the Doom Engine is at:

Rivets

Oh so many rivets...

I'm making ladders for the inside as well as up to the pilot's area from the roof and from the roof down to the turrets. The skulls are shaved off of goblin quivers. This will pretty much use up my suppy of them.

Here's my mock-up of some horns for the top of the Doom Engine:

Yes. Yes the horn is made of paper. That's much easier to cut and modify quickly to get the shape and size I want before going to plasticard!

Loaded up with models Very Happy

View from the rear. I've been making small tweaks to things here and there. For example the Ogre slave's gut plate has been turned by 180-degrees. I've installed the ladder and trap doors for the upper area. The horns at the top aren't totally done, I need a few final small triangles of plasticard to join the body to the hull seamlessly (the front ones are done, but note the unfinished edges of the rear ones where they meet the top edge of the model).

Also been working on the fuel cell for the furnace.

Still so much left to do... after the exterior is done it'll be on to the Green Stuff for the Doom Engine, the crew and the slaves.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Inspirational and intimidating all at the same time. Great stuff!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:07 am

squalie wrote:Inspirational and intimidating all at the same time. Great stuff!

Thanks Surprised

Quick update on filling out the bare panels...

Interior of the removable rear panel

Rear view of the upper level (rune of Hashut embossed on the stairs leading out)

View of both runes (best photo I could get) inside the troop holding area

Outside view of the rear panel

Top front panel of the fold-down assault platform

I also installed ladders on both sides for the cannon crew

It's one of those odd things that for some reason this side of the top piece was measured wrong and the Chaos trim doesn't line up between the top of the model and the side. Ideally the triangular pieces were supposed to follow eachother in tandem. Guess that's Chaos for you.. it's chaotic Surprised

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Great to see all the work you have poured into your army. Good stuff!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Carson wrote:Great to see all the work you have poured into your army. Good stuff!

Just wish I could get more games in under my belt. I've only ever played maybe 20 games in total so far and most of those have been with a buddy of mine who has a similarly odd time schedule. I'm sure there's a few rules things that we're still not totally doing right or forgetting... so in that sense some interaction with more experienced players would be nice. Alas, it is not to be for quite a while... My wife and I just keep having kids for some reason Wink

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Have you posted this on the Chaos Dwarf forums? If you haven't, those guys would totally eat this stuff up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Oh yes, I'm one of the regulars on CDO, I did some of the podcasts and have a blog. This stuff is all in my CDO blog, along with lots more Wink

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf stuff)
Warhammer and related games models and terrain (Non Chaos Dwarf stuff)
Warhammer Quest 3D (tile creation blog)
Chaos Dwarf Quest (rules for CD characters in Warhammer Quest)
Brass etching of Chaos Dwarf/Chaos symbols

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 pm

I need some help with fleshing out some rules for my Doom Engine.
I posted this to CDO, but so far haven't had any feedback or ideas for improving the rules for the Doom Engine. The rules are based on those for the 8th Ed rulebook Doom Engine, except there it doesn't give any points cost, just toughness and wounds and some info about how it's a mobile building that crushes stuff.

It's treated much like a building, except that it can move and can cause damage. It's assaulted the same way a building can be. In the BRB there are some rules for destroying buildings, basically you can opt to assault the building instead of those within it. You need S5 or greater to be able to inflict damage, and after that most buildings are T7+ and have some number of Wounds.

Here's what I have so far:

Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine - Grim Makaz Dawidrangi (Unyielding Weapon of Dwarf Slaying)
Cost: 400 Points

________________M WS BS S T W I A LD
Doom Engine____2D6 - - _- 8 20 - - -
Pilot___________ - 4 3 _3 - -- 2 2 9
Cannon crew x2__ - 4 3 _3 - -- 2 1 9
Furnace Master__ - 4 3 _3 - -- 2 1 9
Slave Ogre______ - 3 2 _4 - -- 2 3 7
Slave Rabble____ - 3 3 _3 - -- 3 3 7

Unit Size: One Doom Engine, four Chaos Dwarf crew, one Slave Ogre and five Slave Rabble.

The Doom Engine, including its Chaos Dwarf crew and slaves, is considered to be a single combined model. Hits and wounds are all directed against the Doom Engine.

Equipment (Crew)
Heavy Armour, Hand Weapon

Equipment (Slave Ogre)
Light Armour, Hand Weapon

Equipment (Slave Rabble)
Nothing

Special Rules (Crew and any occupying Chaos Dwarfs)
Resolute
Relentless
Contempt
To the Last Breath

To the Last Breath:
Doom Engines are held in such high regard within Chaos Dwarf society that going to war within such a behemoth is considered one of the greatest honours one can be bestowed. As such, if the occupants are forced to take a Break test (using the Pilot's Leadership or that of a nearby Battle Standard Bearer or General) and they fail, one member of the crew is automatically removed as a casualty. Typically this is the Slave Ogre first, with the pilot being the last to be removed in such a manner (note that the Slave Rabble cannot be removed in this way). Forced removal of the pilot is generally the only means of stopping a Doom Engine aside from destroying it outright. The Doom Engine is far too complex a device to be piloted by just anyone. Once the crew and any remaining occupants have been routed or slain the Doom Engine is treated as a building once again. It loses all of its special rules and may not be operated by any other models.

Special Rules (Doom Engine)
Siege Tower: The Doom Engine is essentially a mobile building, and is treated as a building for all rules purposes except where modified below. This means that units can enter the Doom Engine as if it were a building, or assault it as if it were a building, and so on. It can be destroyed using the rules in the Warhammer rule book.

Movement: The Doom Engine can move in the Remaining Moves sub phase. Pivot the Doom Engine to face in any direction, and then move it straight forward 2D6". Should this bring the Doom Engine into contact with a unit or terrain feature, then it will stop. The Doom Engine may not move in the same turn it is occupied, and a unit inside may not exit in the same turn that the Doom Engine moves.

Doom Engine Troop Capacity: Unlike a normal building, which can only hold one unit of any size, the Doom Engine can accommodate two units or warmachines.

Doom Engine Cannons: Treated as a Stone Thrower. Uses the Black Powder warmachine misfire chart. Each Cannon is treated as an independent component with a single crew member. If one misfires it does not affect the second cannon or the Doom Engine.

Supporting Fire: Portals at the rear of the Doom Engine as well as on the roof and other small pin point spots afford several fireoints. As with normal buildings, models with ranged attacks, including warmachines, may use them, to a maximum of 10 attackers per floor, following the Fire Per Floor speical rule under Buildings and Shooting.

Arcane Furnace: Due to the unpredictable nature of the arcane furnace that powers the Doom Engine as well as the noxious fumes it produces the rear of the Doom Engine is relatively exposed so that it may be kept well ventilated and to provide the most expedient means of escape from the engine level should the arcane furnace ever attempt to consume the crew from within the Doom Engine! Because this area is exposed any template-based attack that successfully hits the doom engine may re-roll any failed to Wound rolls on the Doom Engine.

The Grinder: Should the Doom Engine move into contact with a unit (friend or foe and regardless whether the unit is to the front, rear or flank), it will inflict 2D6 S6 hits. The unit that has been attacked is then moved 1" directly away from the Doom Engine, so that it is no longer in contact with it. With the exception of buildings, obstacles moved into by the Doom Engine are destroyed and remvoed from play. Other terrain features, including buildings, stop the Doom Engine from moving, except where the terrain feature can be completely straddled beneath the wheel base of the Doom Engine, such that a feature such as a pit, river, lava, etc. is not touching the wheels. Use the height of terrain features and the space beneath the Doom Engine as a guide for what can be traversed in this manner. Aside from these exceptions, terrain features have no other effect on the Doom Engine. Any building or large structure that the Doom Engine comes into contact with suffers the same 2D6 S6 hits that a model or unit would suffer.

Assault Ramp: If the Doom Engine moves into contact with another building, then the unit inside the Doom Engine can assault the building. At the end of the assault, the Doom Engine must back away 1" from the building that was attacked. The assault ramp may also be left open while moving to allow any ranged troops from within to attach during the shooting phase, if they can do-so. As usual, during the assault a maximum of 10 models may be involved.

Fuel Cell: The terrible arcane furnace that powers the Doom Engine draws its power directly from the realm of Chaos. The inner workings of the arcane furnace are only known to a select few, and although it can operate wtihout added fuel, it has an insatibale hunger for flesh and souls. Wizards are a particular favourite! Once each turn one of the Slave Rabble housed in the fuel cell may be sacrificed. If the sacrifice is made the Doom Engine may add +1D3 to its movement the next time it moves. It is entirely possible to sacrifice one Slave Rabble each turn, building up the power of the furnace so that the Doom Engine can then add multiple D3 dice when it eventually moves! If both the Slave Ogre and Chaos Dwarf Furnace Master have been slain the arcane furnace can no longer be fed in this manner.

The Doom Engine counts as a Rare Choice in a Warriors of Chaos or Chaos Dwarf army.

So the Doom Engine is effectively a mobile watchtower with T8 and 20 Wounds, with 2 cannons and able to hold up to two units in addition to its 5 Crew.

Any suggestions, ideas or advice would be much appreciated!!
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 pm

several minor grammar and rules tweaks to the above.

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Chaos Dwarf Doom Engine - Grim Makaz Dawidrangi (Khazalid translation: Unyielding Weapon of Dwarf Slaying)

Here's the completed pieces before priming!

Arcane Furnace room pieces

Cannons

Panels

Fuel Cell

Doom Engine (front, sides & rear)

Rear troop loading hatch, with hooks for hitching up massive chains of slaves Wink

Arcane Furnace area with crew assembled

Primed (with two models for scale)

Unyielding Weapon of Dwarf Slaying indeed Wink

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

there are rules for a doom type engine in the chaos dwarf pdf I believe.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Carson wrote:there are rules for a doom type engine in the chaos dwarf pdf I believe.

The 8th ED BRB is the only place that there's ever been the makings of any rules for such a beast. The Ravening Hordes update for Chaos Dwarfs only contained Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers, Earthshaker Cannons and Death Rockets and the old White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs supplement only had these in it as well. Of course there's the current Hellcannon... and the forth-coming Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos rules which has things like the Deathshreiker Rocket, Magma Cannon, Dreadquake Mortar, and the Iron Daemon, but that's about it.

There was a metal Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut model that was released years ago that fetches upward of $1500 on eBay for a complete model, but there were never any rules published for it, strangely enough!

The one place (for few places) that may have such a thing are some of the fan-made CD lists... but that's it sadly.
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Bit of a lame update here, it'll be slow-going for a while during the painting process... here's kind of where it's at:

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 pm

This is so beyond amazing, I am at a loss for words... Shocked

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 am

Progress has been a bit slow, work is taking over a bit, plus I've been sick as an animal for the past week. Anyway, here's the progress on the Doom Engine main body and bits

Panels, etc.

Cannons and some crew

View from the top

Front (needs some major touch ups to fix the streaky wash)

First pass at highlighting the embossed Chaos Dwarf

I realized after it was too late that his bulls head sporran was mounted a little too low and should have been almost up under his beard. I'm thinking I'll just apply a dark wash to the space in between and hopefully de-emphasize it a bit.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Short update:

Some rando members of the crew and slaves

Rear hatch and ramp

Fixed up the big gap between the sporran and the beard by extending the beard ... I basically did some highlighting and used a line of badab black to outline the beard curls. Turned out better than I thought it would

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

The Doom Engine is finally complete!

-Tomorrow, I use it to slaughter the Skaven filth who dare enter our domain within the Darklands!!
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top