Storm of Magic -- released in July

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Storm of Magic -- released in July

Post  squalie on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

This was posted by BraumGaunt on Warseer. He's usually pretty reliable...

Oh, now that everybody posts, I might as well spill my guts.. I intended to wait another week, but ah, swell...

Storm of Magic will be a full-colour hardcover book, about half the thikness of the Core Rulebook, and at the price of, well, apoximatly one Leman Russ Battletank.
It's due for release the second saturday of July. Previews start the saturday befor.

There will be a multitude of kits and gimmicks to acompany them.

Plastic Boxed Sets are:

Chaos Lord on Manticore
Dark Elven Lord on Black Dragon

Both Kits are the same price as a similar High Elven Ridden Monster.

The saddle, Rider and (in case of the Dragon) the armour are completly optional.

There is also a Kit labeled
Chimaera
and one labeled
Cockatrice
which are the same price as a 10 man Space Marines Squad.

There are also some Clampack releases:
Chaos Supreme Sorcerer
Supreme Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Vampirecounts Necromancer
Dark Elven High Sorceress

I don't know what these are made of. Since they are clampacked I guessed Finecast, but the price of, ah, well, lets say it in GBP: It's a one-digit-point-something Price lable.
Quiet affordable if it was finecast, but since hasitings said plastic sorceres... well... do the math.

Of course there is a whole bunch of playthings and gimmics aswell, like Vortex Templates (Like the Dark Eldar Wayportal template, only bigger), Dice, Battle Magic Cards (which apearently come in a cool box of sime Lost Arc style... with skulls of course...) and Focus Points (4 different ones).

Which brings us to rules.

Storm of Magic is for any Warhammer Fantasy Battle Army. It supports you with a alternative of Deployment, Magic and Army composition rules.

Game mechanics
While you place terrain, you deploy Magil Focus points. Think of these as landmarks inhibited with strong magics, like towers, magical stairs, Columns of Fire, or what ever. Each army starts with a designated number of Focus points, it depends of the scale of the game. 1 per army per 1000 points is, what I was told, suggested in the book.
You may place 1 Wizard including a mount on top of the Focus point, and one guarding unit within a limited space - enough to place about 30 standard base-sized miniatures, I was told. The rest of your army is deployed as usual.

The game is all about dominating these points, which grant great boni to your wizard while he stands atop of them. The Magic Phase is strongly buffed with 4D6 Power dice. In addition, you determine the ascending wind of magic at the beginning of each magic phase. (It's done randomly by some sort of tool, don't ask me what it is, I don't know, but apperantly it's not a dice.) Army book Lores are associated with Army book rules, for example if the Lore of Light is the Ascendand Lore this turn, High Magic is Ascended aswell (I don't know if High Lore is really associated with Lore of Light - it's simply a example of my understanding of the mechanics).

The Ascended magic gains a +4 bonus on attempts to cast their spells. You cannot change the Ascendend in any way, though it's determined new in every magic phase.

There is also a bunch of new spells which appearently give you the possibility not only to summon Monsters loke the Cockatrice, but also whole units from other armies. I personally didn't by this one. It was a long evening with a LOT of beer.

Take all of this with salt. And enjoy.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storm of Magic -- released in July

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Interesting, wonder how they are going to include dwarfs in all this.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Who cares. Very Happy

Ok, ok...

Quote what do dwarfs get? xD

Nice finecast releases? dwarf Engineer w/ Great Weapon, Dwarf Thane w/standard, Dwarf Grudge thrower, Dwarf High King Thorgrim.

They will recruit truthsayers, and a lot of monsters, there is a new list of magic items and I think that they could use some of them...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Its funny, I'm always nervous when GW tinkers with the game in this way, BUT it could be pretty cool.......love the release of new figs, especially the characters (dark elven sorceress Very Happy )

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 am

Really, this is the equivalent of "Apocalypse" in 40k, which is permissive at best. This will only happen when both opponents decide to use this-- although I do admit it sounds kinda' cool to shake it up for a bit.

I expect Andre and Dom to rock this as it seems right up their alley. That's a compliment as I'd like to shake the traditional "standard" of Fantasy and try something different.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 am

It actually doesnt appeal to me that much. I like it as a novelty but as I dont play very heavy magic it ranks somewhere along the watchtower scenario. Dom Carson and I did try the surprise scenario with turn phasing like the battle royale (with cheese lol) (thats a pulp fiction reference if you didnt catch it) I really enjoy it as a system. as both Carson and Don found out it will change your strategy when it comes to charging for sure and magic is really balanced.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:13 pm

The problem with that turn structure is that it severely under-values shooting and magic.

In a normal game, except for overruns, you often are given a chance to shoot or cast spells on an enemy unit before it can charge into combat again (not always, depending on when it gets out of combat, but sometimes).

With the I-GO-U-GO structure, after the first turn, a unit can charge into combat before you can shoot it, every single turn.

So that's a bit of a bummer for some armies.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:29 pm

I agree but it is a scenario that isnt going to be used very often but I sure like the ability to play a different 4 vs 4 game. also I think adding objectives instead of going with army pts is ok.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:59 am

Big Munsters an stuff. I really really like every single model. Better cash in the beer bottles. Rolling Eyes

http://www.envisageweb.co.uk/DSC_1.jpg

http://www.envisageweb.co.uk/DSC_2.jpg

http://www.envisageweb.co.uk/DSC_3.jpg

http://www.envisageweb.co.uk/DSC_4.jpg

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:47 pm

orgasmic Very Happy

Seriously GW's mini's are getting just plain awesome.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 am

I find the Tzeentch sorcerer distinctly...not Tzeentch.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112273&d=1307817992

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm

looks more deamonic than anything

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 am

The Dragon is terrible, and the Manticore is a frigging joke.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5577270#post5577270

The Chimaera looks like it suffers from the exact same problems as the Manticore.

The Cockatrice is nice, but honestly, I'd rather not even see any of the others on a table.

Trish Morrison really never learned how to sculpt. Which is a shame since she's been doing that as her career for 20+ years now.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top