Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Pretty worrying thread on the Warhammer Forum:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88091

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Finecast" melting?

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 pm

It's hard to tell what's legitimate in all this and what is people jumping on the GW hate bandwagon but I imagine that there is some truth to some of it at least. Hopefully GW will come up with a way to fix the many problems that seem to be popping up with the finecast models because I think it is a good idea.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Just got a Finecast Korhil at Christmas and I have to say that I'm unimpressed to say the least. There are "holes" throughout the fig and a spot on his cape, between his legs, that goes straight through. It feels so fragile that I winced putting it into his slotted base. I was amazed at how easy the craft knife went through the attachments. I probably could have pinched him off the sprue. Just don't like the feel of it - no substance.

Sigh...I sound old.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:53 pm

And see, I was all gung ho about finecast when it was announced. Typically resin is a much better material for painting because as resin doesn't shrink in molds there's usually less irregularities, it's easier to prep and assemble than metal (no pinning neccessary) and I just generally like holding a resin mini to paint more. But finecast seems to have zero quality control. Forgeworld has always been pretty decent for me though I have gotten a few lemmons. Finecast as a whole seems to be worse than 50% success rate with the mini's out there. I know I bought a single box of Tankbusta Orks and opened it up and found a lot of air bubbles in horrible places on all five of the orks. Haven't painted a single one of them yet because I don't want to spend that amount of time on fixing them up.

There is NO CHANCE I would spend the 100$ plus bucks on one of the bigger kits like the jabberslythe without being able to open and inspect it first.

It's pretty epically horrible all around.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:54 am

The one finecast mini I've painted was perfect but from all the horror stories out there I'm not rushing out to get more. It's too bad because it is a really good idea in theory.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 am

I have to admit that I compared the metal Beastmen Malagor fig to the finecast version in a store and there really was a noticable difference in detail. I was quite intrigued that the finecast version was cleaner - more crisp in the detail. It's ironic that I would pay more for a cheaper product.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:06 pm

I've heard the mangler squigs are bad for the finecast melting (enough material that there's always weight bearing down so over time they lower), but with hot water, you can fix that. The real solutlion is to put a pin up through any of those thing joints. Seems finecast has gotten better, but you'll still have bubbles here and there if you search. If the model is really bad, call up GW and complain and they should replace it. My experience is that it's not perfect, but that it's not near as bad as the internet angst makes it out to be.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top