Gamers corner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gamers corner

Post  Carson on Mon May 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Finally have some free time ( it rained Very Happy ) so I thought I'd post up some topics I've been thinking about. Starting this thread to talk about anything to do with game play, favourite character builds, best units, newly discovered tactics etc.

I'll start it off by talking about my favourite unit in the WOC book, and one that I'll never play without. Now its probably been said a hundred times but the Chosen are the toughest unit in fantasy right now.

My favourite build is.....21 chosen (3x7) full command, champion has the favour of the gods, mark of Tzeentch, halberds, Banner of Rage. Thats 29 str5 ws6 I5 attacks with T4 4+/6+ save. Thats bare bones before the unit gets its modified roll on the eye of the gods table. Hands down there really is nothing that can or should really touch this. Or is there?.......can any dispute this or have alternative builds or units?

Another topic I'd like to throw out is the question ....Is a level4 upgrade all that more effective than the standard level 3 for a lord level caster. Lately Ive been using a level3 chaos Sorcerer with great results. Thoughts?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gamers corner

Post  squalie on Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 pm

First off, I don't think it's just a "feeling" that Chosen are feared for a reason. It's ridiculous how much they can't be hurt and since you are playing a big block of them, you're now one of "those" guys. Very Happy Anytime you see a child crying it's because somebody, somewhere is playing Chosen.

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't spend the 35 points to have a lvl 4. Extra spell and an item that allows a +1 to dispel or cast usually costs around that many points (or more) anyways. I would have to be pretty tight for points before I went with a lvl 3.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm

6 treekin come close actually, 19 WS4 S5 attacks and then 3 stomps at the end, T5 with a 4+/5+ save and the fear, immune to psychology and magical attacks help. I think they might move more quickly too with movement 5. They don't have the static combat resolution that a ranked-up unit of infantry does but they are pretty good anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Chameleon Skinks are hands down my favorite unit, deploying behind enemy lines and taking out cannons, caskets, monsters and causing a general pain in the butt. Getting rid of them is annoying because their hard to shoot and very maneuverable and with a decent BS they can march and double shoot at long range and still get those poisoned hits. I like two units of 5 rather than a big unit of 10 so that they aren't all lost if something hits them in close combat.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 pm

yup 6 treekin are the cats meow, super tough. Does the Int. let them down though?

Chameleon skinks are great. Super annoying but still good enough that you just can't ignore them either.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue May 24, 2011 9:34 pm

My bull charging Horde of ogres looks pretty sick. 54 attacks only weapon skill 3 but 3 wounds each makes them hard to chew through at tough 4 saves of 5/6 without gut magic. I would likely give them magic resistance 2 and regen 4. Also 6 stomps and at movement 6, likely 6 str 6 impacts with the dragonhide banner rerolling all ones in first round of combat to hit to wound and armor saves. Thats a meat train noone wants to step in front of.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 pm

10 Flamers has always been a great unit, but is now limited to 6 in the new book, but now have str4 shooting.
6D6 str 4 shots will maul any unit, and not to mention 2 Str 5 attacks each in hand to hand!

(This one is just for you Carson Wink )

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

I know I am going back in time here, but that huge unit of Chosen were spectacularly tough on the 10th. Still, they got pulled down and eaten at the end, even though it took my whole army. The ward save they can roll at the start of the game is particularly nasty.

Strengths: Everything.

Weaknesses: Hard to maneuver and relatively slow, I suppose.

The normal huge unit levellers would still work - cannons, mortars, and stone throwers. Your sorceror lord could shut down threatening magic.

My main choice for next time is to just avoid it. I don't think I would charge that unit with THREE lances of knights and expect to win.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:59 am

The normal huge unit levellers would still work - cannons, mortars, and stone throwers. Your sorceror lord could shut down threatening magic.

I'm not sure that's true. the 3+ armour save and 3+ ward save makes it pretty much invincible to those things.

You need the instant death spells, but unfortunately they are all based on S (S4), T (T4), or I (I6).

Infernal Gateway would be good, as well as the Dreaded 13th spell. Otherwise I think attacking the unit is a waste of time. Kill the rest of the army.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:41 pm

My dwarf hammerers led by my dwarf lord were pretty solid at the tournament too. They die pretty quickly with T4 and 5+ armour but they hand out just as good as they get. Over the course of the tournament my hammerers and lord killed a fiend of Slaanesh, Bloodletters, Flesh hounds, a Keeper of Secrets, a steam tank, Greatswords, a captain of the Empire, A wizard, Halbardiers, orc arrer boyz, Black Orcs and a Giant.

Nothing stood up to them and even when they lost combat they just kept grinding away until the tide turned in their favour. That said, I doubt they would have stood up well against the chosen. Units like that are really hard to deal with and like Eric said, the best way is to avoid them. Unfortunately that is usually easier said than done. Better to feed them a really big resilient unit that they can chew on all game.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm

In all three of my games The chosen were wiped out to a man. Go figure Shocked

They never broke, and were always facing about a 3 to 1 points spread....but yes, they were taken down. They were handled quite well by a 50 count block of night goblins with nets, arachnaok spider, boar chariot and biguns with warboss and bsb.....did I miss anything.

2 purple suns took them down quite quickly

and an entire army of beastmen eventually took them down as well.

Why were they facing all of this by themselves......I don't know Sad

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 am

Perhaps it is just too tempting a target - the desire to see the big boys taken down a notch?

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:28 am

no, missed nothing but the spider did run before the end of battle.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:33 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top