Tomb Kings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tomb Kings?

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 am

So I picked up the army book, they look allright. What does everyone think on the new update? I don't really know how magic works in the new system but taking the incantations away and making their stuff just count as regular spells seems like it may be harder to use magic inthe army. Any thoughts?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Kings?

Post  Carson on Fri May 06, 2011 8:04 am

Thier magic is defo gonna be less "certain". magic is really hit or miss in 8th. To determine your power dice you roll 2d6, dispel dice are the higher of the 2.

Havn't seen the book yet but looking forward to it.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 am

With the new system there is more balance in magic heavy armies and nonmagic armies I can play dwarfs and out magic others. Its nice bc instead of getting 4 or 5 spells a phase you have to be more aware of choosing which spells you use at what time and bound items need casting dice now too.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Wed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Haven't yet played a game with new TK, but that will happen this weekend. As with much of the trend in 8th edition, the Tomb Kings army wants to reward playing with giant units, and giant monsters. I think they have accomplished this with skeletons costing 1/2 the points they used to, and adding a handful of monster options (Necrosphinx, Stalkers, more ushabti, etc.) This should make the army less reliant on magic, which will be necessary as it is much more random and chaotic than before. It changes the ideal of what TK are all about, more than most other army revamps. It brings them more in line with other armies like Skaven that just grind it out with tonnes of low-quality troops while the nasty stuff acts as finishers.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Fri May 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Just played my first game with the new 8th Tomb Kings and i was quite happy and impressed with how they performed. Granted Don's lvl 4 Mage blowing itself up on the second spell didnt hurt, but I feel there magic is much stronger now, especially if your playing a Casket and a Hierotitan like I am, it is just such a big phase. The new mechanics work well, i am really enjoying the new " My will be done" giving my Tomb Guards w/Halb''s a WS of 6. Im dissapointed that there is really no reason to play ushabti anymore but oh well, they still are nice models Very Happy

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I was just writing a post for this:

I played the apothecary and his 8th edition Tomb Kings. My High elves were wiped to the last man (Elf) and Frank lost about 150 points. Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure where people are getting that the new TK aren't that great. I'll just chalk it up to good ol' new book hysteria, as I was pretty impressed with the army as a whole. There was a surprising amount of synergy and more than once I asked for Franks book as I was a little skeptical about some things. Unfortunately, turns out it was all true.

I'm not going to bother with a battle report but I will comment on some highlights. In the very first minutes of the game my lvl 4 general blew up casting Vauls unmaking and it went even more downhill after that. I got 2 spells off before the crater.

The Apothecary had a big horde unit of Archers with Hierophant and a horde unit of Tomb Guard with King. That's a tough unit. His winds of magic rolls didn't need any help, but the casket adding more dice, the casket itself (which is easier to kill at least) and the stupid Giant thingy adding dice to every spell made it frustrating but cool. Killing the bigger things is kind of a pain as the higher casting of a spell gives wounds back to every unit in range and just when you think you've almost killed the Casket or Sphinx, the darn thing gets healthier. I was charmed by the Chariots as 150 points of Chariots are doing 3D6 impacts hits -- which apparently Elves just love. 150 points. Core.

Having said all that, they're far from broken as I was simply surprised by a few things that I wouldn't be again -- which makes the army less effective next time but still better than people give them credit for. But, anyone that has simply read the book and written them off hasn't actually ran a lap with them. Once people get aquainted with the book, like ANY new book, you'll see them getting even more respect. It's too bad they lost some of the things that made the army unique, but time moves on and at least now you can take a TK army to a tourny and not get laughed at.

Oh yes, there will be a rematch.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Come on at me Bro Twisted Evil

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:36 am