Tim's 2500 Point Dwarf List

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tim's 2500 Point Dwarf List

Post  Tim Miller on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:08 am

This list is for my army pictured in the painting and modelling section.

General

Thorek Ironbrow 505

Characters

3X Dragonslayers 150

Thane Army Standard w. Master Rune of Grungi, Rune of Guarding 170

Runepriest w. Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of Stone, Shield, Great Weapon 106

Core

12 Warriors w. Musician, Shields 113

24 Thunderers w. Full Command, Shields, Champion w. Brace of Pistols 385

40 Longbeards w. Rune of Slowness, Great Weapons, Full Command 595

Special Units

5 Miners 55

Grudge Thrower w. Rune of Accuracy, 2X Runes of Penetrating 155

Grudge Thrower w. Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating 130

Grudge Thrower w. Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Burning 135

Total 2499

I love grudge throwers in 8th, I think they are the new bolt throwers. They are great against anything, but really punish any characters foolish enough to leave a unit. For lists with no special characters allowed I would likely still keep the anvil. The plan is to turtle in a corner if possible and let the enemy come to me. The rune of slowness will make coordinated charges against the longbeards difficult. The master rune of grungi (5+ wards against shooting/magic) should give me an edge versus other shooting armies.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tim's 2500 Point Dwarf List

Post  Kuyp on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 am

Tim Miller wrote: The plan is to turtle in a corner if possible and let the enemy come to me. The rune of slowness will make coordinated charges against the longbeards difficult. The master rune of grungi (5+ wards against shooting/magic) should give me an edge versus other shooting armies.

lol i just have to laugh when i see this Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am

Tim I see problems... your grudge throwers wont fire after turn 2 due to fast cav and flyers same with the anvil and the thunderers may get two volleys off. I would make the bsb a fighter and put the standard on the longbeard banner. Your army will squish as there are alot of ignores armor saves magic and your block units just dont have the size as they will be striking last against most armies. Also you have sunk alot of points into the anvil which I dont believe adds dispel dice any more and one bad dice roll will frustrate you if anvil doesnt go off as planned.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 pm

The first response was very constructive. Admittedly I haven't played a lot in 8th, so you guys have much more experience with this stuff than me. The army deploys fully enclosing the war machines and anvil in a corner. Multiple flyers could be a problem, but I can remove flying from up to 3 units with the anvil on the first turn, right? I read the Dwarf FAQ and the only changes to the anvil were that it counts as a war machine now, and it only gets 1 reroll per game rather than 1 each turn. It's pretty tough, and almost impossible to shoot, but of course a dedicated HtH character will kill it if he can get into base to base. Thorek, being a rune lord will add 2 dispel dice, and his anvil another 1, then another 1 for the runepriest.

I posted the list not as a be all and end all, but as a starting point for discussion from a player who is considering getting back into the game. I don't really want to get into any flame wars with trolls Kuyp.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

The turtle defense has always been a viable option for dwarfs but in 8th edition you have more options available. Charging is actually an option since your charge range has increased from 6" to 15". You still aren't the fastest army out there but your opponent doesn't have as much of an advantage in that department.

Striking last isn't terrible, lots of armies do that but when you strike last with a horde worth of WS5 S6 attacks whatever you hit is going to get hurt. Even still, I probably wouldn't field a horde of longbeards. I think a unit of 25-30 ranked 6 or 7 wide is more than enough and it gives you some points free to add a supporting unit of warriors or two.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks for the response Nathan. My first incarnation of the list had 2 blocks of 25 warriors on the flanks, but they didn't seem to do much. That being said, they only had hand weapons and shield. Double handed weapons are probably the default for Dwarves, no? You make a good point about Dwarves being able to charge now. Against a pure shooting and/or magic army I would indeed have to go on the offensive. The anvil can really help here too, because I can boost a unit across the board quickly if I need to. The miners also can charge a war machine or a small unit the turn they come onto the table (with the anvil's boost). I could shrink the longbeards to get points elsewhere if needed, and I intend to evaluate that in some test games.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't really want to get into any flame wars with trolls Kuyp.

You sure got told Dom! Laughing

Tim, I don't think he meant anything by it other than it would be fun to watch someone struggle through that. 3 Grudge throwers could be viscious.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:16 pm

well i don't think that dwarfs need to sit around at all, they have rock solid infantry in a game that favours infantry. with your plan of action what happens when you play a dawn attack game, and your units are spread out over the deployment zone? the thing with your list as it is seems like you only have intentions to play it one way, there is no versatility at all. by making use of your solid infantry in some smaller blocks you can control more areas and support your other units. Not only all that nut it is never fun to play against some one who is going to sit in a corner all game.

I don't mean to come off as a troll at all so sorry for that, i just think its funny that lots of people think there only option is to sit and wait it out

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top