Scott's OnG Blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott's OnG Blog

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Okey Dokey, I got the Warhammer bug again after seeing the new book. Mainly 'cause I saw Grom the Paunch is back in this edition. Awesome! So, I have mixed feelings about painting for the table again. I've spent a couple of years pouring a lot of time and effort inot my painting. I've worked hard to develop some skills that I am pretty sure will suffer if I scale back my painting so it doesn't take 9-80 years to paint an army. As it is now if I paint a mini to my fullest it takes around 10-25 hrs of painting time to make it happen. So... I am going to try and take some shortcuts on my painting while still trying to make a decent overall army. I am going to take regular breaks from painting this stuff to work on a character or another project trying to keep my painting level from tapering off to sharply. But I must say I am looking forward to it. I've been picking up and painting the odd Chaos or Skaven fig now and again but neither of those two projects have my heart like an OnG army do. My goal is to be able to paint a mini in 1-2 hours time. It'll take a few kicks at the can to get it right because I'll have to use the first couple mini's to try and get things right. I am for sure gonna crack out the airbrush for this army. The new savage orcs are great. Really well done, and not those weird sharp looking muscles the box art had. Makes me wanna see the GW minotaurs in the hand. I think theyve really shit the bed a couple times with their studio paint jobs. Here's what I got so far...

This next part is important for me so I can refer to this for notes...

Base...
-Stone Grey for stones. Washed with Black brown, Olive green, Orange Brown, Purple Wash
-dirt painted in washed Flat Earth and washed again with Olive green

Orc
-Russian Green base
-Shade with P3 Coal Black, and black wash. Black red in muscle gaps for warmth.
-Highlight with russin green + golden olive + menoth white highlight. Glaze with red wash thinned and glaze muscles with transparent yellow thinned.

Thoughts so far...

I don't like the skin. These are bad pics but their is even less contrast without the flash. I think I need to shade MUCH deeper and I think I will do that simply by adding some black to the russian green. I want to paint the mini's quickly and it took about an hour to get this result on the skin. It doesn't look great, and I think I can do a better job quicker by starting darker and going lighter. Also I don't think the golden olive and menoth white mixed all that well and that helped get some gross looking results on the final highlights. I will likely swap in a vallejo colour to match the vallejo golden olive. Maybe ivory, maybe buff.

Sorry for the rambly-ness. The notes are what I'll need to look at later. I'd write them down but I'd lose them. The 'net will keep my stuff safe for sure!

I bought 30 savage orcs which seemed like a good number for a unit. I also got a big Avatars fo war shipment in the mail which cam with their Savage Orc hero, a Black ORc warboss, a Savage Orc Shaman that I all look forward to painting up. Those'll be some of the pieces I work on after doing ten or so guys to try and keep from forgetting all the techniques I spent a long time practicing on. I also got that big ass spider thing. I am waiting on that one, cause I don't know if I'll go for the magic version or the shooty version. I've always like a little shooting in a OnG army. A few bolt throwers, a stone thrower or something like that seemed to work well in 6th and 7th ed. anyway to make the opponent focus on something other than hitting your flanks with his fast cav and other tricks.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott's OnG Blog

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree with your analysis Scott, there needs to be more contrast in the skin, mostly in the shadows I think. I think the highlights look good and it might just look funny because the rest of the model is either white primer or also painted green. I would darken the shadows on this model and then go ahead and pick out the details quickly so you get an idea as to how the finished model will look. When I have time tonight I'll run this one through photoshop so you can see what I'm getting at.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm gonna try an airbrush method I saw done on a Miniature Mentor video. He got dynamite results at a quick pace so I'll see if I can duplicate it. He works from black up to near final highlights all with an airbrush. It was a cool technique!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Good to see this blog up Scott.

Really need some darker shadows on the skin, dark to light will probably work well here and speed up the process. The airbrush idea will probably be a winner for sure on Savage Orcs, what with all thier skin and such. To tell you the truth I think its the base color that is really hurting the orc's skin color. It seems too muted to go along with the skin....maybe try hitting the base with a darker color and then see what the skin looks like?

Key thing to keep in mind for 8th edition is big, bigger the better. horde rules, and stubborn infantry (more ranks than your opponent) is da bomb.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 pm

So I tried this. This was literally 5 minutes from grey primer to this using the airbrush. I am encouraged, I think a little bit of glazing here and there and it'll work. I just need to reinforce the shading/highlights and I think it'll look decent for an army. Any glaring areas that don't look great I can maybe cover with tatoo's and warpaint. I'll take decent pic's of this guy once I get him further along.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm

I hate to buck the trend, but I really liked the original Orc. I think it really would have tied together once you had some contrast with all the other parts painted. that's not to say I won't cheer you on now that you have found a faster way to paint good-looking Orcs, I'm just sayin'.

I don't want to do anything to slow down your enthusiasm, so disregard anything I say unless it gets you painting O&G.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 pm

TY Don, I am still refining the technique obviously. Next time I'll go even lighter with the airbrush, but then sort of knock it all down by glazing the whole mini with a colour. I think. My goal is for the base colour to look like the first example but with more highlights and deeper shading. And to be able to do them quickly. We'll see!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:00 pm

I know you've sorta moved on and I like the results you are getting with your airbrush but I did some photoshopping with your first test model and came up with this:

All I did was darken up the shadows on the skin a bit and blocked in a few of the bigger pieces that are against the skin so that you could see the skin a bit better.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Oh no doubt Nathan that's the ideal! I'm still trying to tweek the airbrush method into getting as good a result as possible for time's sake but I think I might have to invest some brush time on those mini's flesh as well. I'd like to get results similar to the sample pic you put up and still be able to do a single mini in less than an hour. That's the goal anyway! I still want to spend lots of time and keep in practice on the character mini's though. Thanks for putting that pic together, it's a great reference for me!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 am

I wish painting was as easy as photoshop! That adjustment took maybe 30 minutes tops, mostly using the darken (burn) and lighten (dodge) tools. I'd love to have something like that for painting! I suppose the washes are close but I always seem to use too much at a time and I don't have the patience to slow it down.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top