Squalie's High Elves

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Squalie's High Elves

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Cool. I had an idea of just sticking a sword in the ground in front of him. Or just telling everyone he's a Kung-fu Elf.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

So, I've put on another highlight of gold, a highlight of red and mostly finished the gems. This army's gonna take forever but I'm really enjoying painting something different. I just have to finish the reds with a highlight of orange and do the faces and eyes. I haven't done the clothing either as I'm not completely convinced about the shadow grey.

Ok, so how do you guys that have done human eyes before, do eyes? Do you do the method where it's first black, then put a touch of white in each corner, OR just put a dab of white with a black dot in the center?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

I use ivory and the darkest brown I have. For whatever reason I find that pure white and pure black look odd. I paint the whole area brown, then ivory leaving a little bit of a lining around the area, then the brown pupil.

For the hair, have you ever considered using bronzed flesh as the final highlight for the red? I prefer that over orange me-self.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:06 am

I can tell you for a fact that I have never considered bronze flesh, but I'll give it a try.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:25 pm

It's gonna be a great looking army!

I usually leave the eye black and then put a small line of white on either side. Don't do dots unless you can make them really small.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Another thing try aside from the Scott and Carson method...
My own difficulties have to do with getting the pupil centred when painting the white of the eye over a dark background. Therefore, I paint the eye white first (or ivory if you prefer). Then paint a short line, not an orb, for the pupil in the centre. Thinking of this as a line rather than something circular keeps you making your elves looking surprised. Final touch is to put a thin black ink line under the upper eyelid to define the shape. Repeat hundreds of times...

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks Galadros, about the eye thing. That's kinda' what I ended up doing. I tried the white dot in each corner and they came out cross eyed, which is why Carson likes that method I suppose.

So anyways, the Swordmasters are basically done except for basing. I'm not sold on the banner and may paint it a different colour as it seems like too much red. Anyways, on to the Archers and Lothern Seaguard next.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 am

Leave it red, and do the others in the army different colours. The thing about painting an army is you get to consider how the unit looks, and then as a piece of a whole army. I agree it may seem like too much red, but next to a white and maybe blue banner I think you'll be fine with it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am

I agree with Scott. Leave it at least until you base the unit so you can see the final finished product. They look really good though, I look forward to seeing them in person.

Only question, what's up with the champion's eyes?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 am

Love em, look great, banner too!

Any thoughts on how your gonna base the army. I'd love to see them on some elven cobbelstone streets, maybe have some columns or pillars mixed into some of the units?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

I would wait and see how the whole army looks but as a stand alone unit the red looks a little much. The jewels are fantastic they have a real depth look to them.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I finally realised why I couldn't see my pictures very well. They were saved at a smaller size on my hosting site. Bigger pics, so you can pick away!!!

Only question, what's up with the champion's eyes?

Oh, so you've never worn eyeliner before?! My goal was to give him a squinty look, but all I did was make him look like he's in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'll change them, I promise.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Ok, so I've been busy.

First thing I did was to change the colour of the army from the blue clothing to black. The blue just looked like denim and wasn't serious enough. I wanted these to look like the most worn, angry looking High Elves you've seen. Didn't like the red banner either. I have the unit of Lothern Seaguard to finish and the BSB and that's it! I'll post an army picture when I'm done.

Swordmasters:

Archers:

Dragon Princes:

Bolt throwers:

(This one has a Dragon painted on his targeting instructions with a big red "X" through it):

Eagles:

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 pm

The "X" on the dragon is my favourite detail in a long time.

Great looking army Don.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

Looking good Don! You are a shoe-in for best painted at the tournament, especially since you will have 2 painted armies there ! Wink

What's next?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 pm

After the High Elves are done it's back to my roots. The one army I just can't get away from....Beastmen.

What I did with the High Elves, is follow some advice from around here and made up a list. Then I just painted the models for that list. Far less intimidating than looking at 5000 points of unpainted army -- most of which you'd rarely use. Did the same thing with the Beastmen.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Awesome job my friend. Bases look good, good work on breaking up the snow with some grass. One suggestion would be to drybrush the grass white to give it a "frosty" look. It looks a bit too green for snow cover. Other than that what took you so long! Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 am

One suggestion would be to drybrush the grass white to give it a "frosty" look. It looks a bit too green for snow cover.

Good suggestion. I'll try that.

Other than that what took you so long!

The fact that this is my third High elf army, but the one I finally decided to paint. Embarassed After this I'm going to paint my third Beastmen army. Rolling Eyes

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Aaaand done. Might paint a Lord on Griffon and an IoB mage as the models are cool, but this will basically be my army from now on.

Swordmasters X2

Swordmasters/BSB

BSB

Lothern Seaguard

Army

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Looks terrific Don

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:18 pm

All based and ready to go for Onslaught.  The snow on the old models have yellowed.  I suppose standing in the same spot for 2 years will do that, so I had to "re-snow" everything.  I think my next army will have dust bases so I never have to redo them. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Looks great! We should put our armies opposite each other when it comes time to display them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Awesome army Don, top notch as usual.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:05 am

Sponsored content