Squalie's High Elves

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squalie's High Elves

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Ok, I need some advice because I'm not happy with how these are turning out. I'm thinking on making the Gems more blue as they just don't pop enough. I tried using Jade Green and still can't seem to make that colour work!

I tried to use the same colours as my Arch Mage and it still seems to bright. I'm thinking on a red/black theme and might use more gold in the armour. I'm rambling as I'm frustrated so help me sort this out. This fig start to finish was a little over an hour. I went as fast as I could to see what can be done as I have a whole army to do! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squalie's High Elves

Post  Carson on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Biggest thing I notice is the armour. It needs to shine more for a high elf. Add a final highlight of mithril silver. I thing I found that gives a good effect is to mix a spot of white with the mithril.....it really seems to add ot the effect. High areas and edges of the armour and sword will really benefit.

I like the white cloth but if want something different try a turquise or green....or maybe even a light brown/bleached bone thing.....I don't like the blue option.

Gems look good I think....mabe a darker botton line to really add that depth.

Plum and armour lining looks good, maybe another real fine highlight of orange?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I wanted a Caledor/ash look to them, but they're coming out a little dull -- especially for high Elves. I think I'll go for the white look as it brightens them up just enough. I wanted a sepia tone on the armour, and they look darker in the pictures than they actually are, but more highlights probably would be better. I was trying for muted and got muddy.

I guess there's no way around it, I have to slow down and get what's in my head onto the fig. I'm trying to cut too many corners and it definitely shows. This army is kiiling my confidence so far.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I like it! Here's some tips...

To make the armour look shiny and gay like an elf should finish off in mithril silver but also add some thinned asurmen blue wash to the model. Don't glop it on like you're applying a wash but like a thin layer of paint. TYhe blue tint will make the armour pop more and look newer. Also it will help pop against the red.

Red looks good! A suggestion... mix 50/50 bronzed flesh and blood red and apply it a little bit to the brightest areas of the hair. See if you like it!

Blue gems... go with enchented blue and add a little white to it (then finally pure white) to get a pop-a-loppin' gem. Or... and I think I like the idea of this a little better... stick with green but use goblin green and white. Or even dark angels green - goblin green - white.

I'll tell ya what else I like... the concept of slowing down and taking some time on these mini's. You'll blow yourself away!

And what I liked to do back when I'd paint armies is I'd do my test pieces as either unit champions or hero's instead of RnF. Reason being you can have those mini's not quite match up with the units in your army while you refine your colour choices and it won't look as odd if say the 3 soldier in rank five looks like he woke up and decided he anted to be an INDIVIDUAL by wearing some off colour armour or a different style of gems on his shit. If that makes any sense.

I really like it! It even makes me want to paint up some warhammer stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Ok, I'm going to go slightly off topic for a moment. I took different pictures with my camera as it seems to always takes better pictures when I don't have a background. The problem with that of course is that there is all that clutter in the background. Here's a few examples:

No background:

White background:

Black background:

I didn't fiddle with the lighting or anything other than just changing cardboard sheets. I know nothing about using the camera settings, but I'm tired of painting a fig and I think it looks just great until I take a picture of it. Ugh. If anyone has camera advice without using photoshop (cheater!) or requires me reading the instruction manual (lazy!) then let me know.

I'm going to go with the blue gems instead of the Jade coloured gems as they just contrast that much better. I'm going to use the red recipe from the Arch mage instead of the muted red on the Swordmaster as it's just more vibrant and I'm not going to wash the whole fig in sepia tones, because as cool as it seems in my head, dull High Elves are just ...dull. So, I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and just stick with the theme of the Arch mage. Done, done and done. Once I'm convinced of a colour scheme I can paint quite fast, but I'm actually going to take it down a few revs as I was going too fast on the Swordmaster and I know I'll hate myself when the army's done but I know I could've done better.

Thanks for the tips Scott/Carson, I think I might give the green gem a try, but you know how I feel about green gems. Evil or Very Mad Although using Goblin green to make them look like they're almost glowing seems cool.

To make the armour look shiny and gay like an elf should finish off in mithril silver but also add some thinned asurmen blue wash to the model. Don't glop it on like you're applying a wash but like a thin layer of paint. TYhe blue tint will make the armour pop more and look newer. Also it will help pop against the red.

I think I'll try that. I wanted a Star Wars feel to the army (gay, I know) where all the troops haven't had time to fix stuff and the armour's looking old and oily -- which is why everything was bathed in Gryphon sepia wash. I guess this simply isn't the army to do that.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

I say go for it. When I was gonna do elves I was gonna do them in earthier colours and such to make them a little duller.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 pm

you know, now that I see the blue cloth swordmaster next to the mage, it looks quite good. An army with that scheme would look quite nice me thinks. A light blue glaze on the armour like Scott suggested would then tie it together.

Do it like this......I command you!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Ok, just a little photo to prove progress.

I don't know how much advice I'll take now as these are turning out exactly how I want them and I'm gaining confidence now that there are 42 Swordmasters starting to take shape. I fiddled with the Wash recipe and 2 things are confirmed. 1. GW washes are awesome. Simple as that. 2. I have discovered the greatness that is white primer. Holy crap, all these years I have only played Chaos and have always used Black primer. I did a test High Elf and something just looked wrong. White primer, same paint theme and it just seems more crisp, more vibrant. I will admit that white primer seems more forgiving, but I'm a changed man. White primer for president!

I'm going with the dull used look for the High Elves as it looks so much better with a unit on the table instead of a single model. I'm going to give the swords a blue wash as I want them to give a cold steel look to contrast with the armour.

Question; how do you guys get silflor to stand up? I tried it and it just seems to get pulled down into the glue. I told Carson that it looks like crop circles on my test model. Scott and Carson obviously have a lot of experience with this and I bought a bunch of Autumn colour grasses as I think the yellows and dying grass look will go well with my theme. It's dying grass all right...

K, your turn.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Huh, never had a problem. Are you using super glue? That might not work maybe. I use a special kind of rubber cement style glue that stays flexible after drying and it's da bomb yo. I have no experience using other adhesives with the tufts. Post a pic maybe?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 pm

I used a dab of Elmers glue (the company, not the guy) and all that happens is that the strands get pulled downwards and fan out on the base.

Speaking of which, this isn't silflor exactly, I bought it at Redline hobby in Regina but seems like the same stuff. Since Carson didn't give me any silflor like he promised, I probably bought welfare grass.

I feel better now that I know it's Carson's fault.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Hmm... try using super glue then. Maybe a shot of accelerator if you use it as well.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 pm

yes, that was my plan as I couldn't have yours looking better than mine type thingy.

The Elves are looking awesome sofar! Good call on a blue glaze for the swords. I'd say the problem with the grass tufts is the brand. Its really idot proof with the silflor stuff......oh ok just realized the problem.

Booyah...that was a good one!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Progress report:

This is taking longer than I thought with lots left to do. Shoulda' played Ogres. Very Happy

Most everything is base coated but A LOT of detail and highlighting left. Still have to do the gold, highlight the red, paint the blue cloth and eyes, face and gems. Oh Lord, the gems....

That is a Horde unit of Swordmasters:

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm

How'd ya like the blue wash on the swords? Lookin' good too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Love the blue on the swords! I wanted that cold steel look and I think once I have them highlighted in Mithril, they'll come out just right.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Can't wait to see them finished, bringing the Elves on Sat?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 am

I would but those wouldn't count as league games....unless I can change armies. Embarassed My interests seem to have shifted.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 am

switch if you want.

The house is gonna be full on Sat. Bob, Nathan R., Andre, Dom, are all in. Scott and William havn't confirmed although both said earlier they would come.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm

These are looking really good! I think I'm going to have to re-think my plans for a color scheme on my elves. Maybe go full-out gay and paint them pink! Either that or all white and blue steel.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Why, did I steal your colours?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:28 pm

No, but I was thinking about red. My army is swordmaster-heavy too so I don't want them to look too similar.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

I did a test model sometime ago and it was Royal blue instead of the brighter blues you usually see. Almost went that route as it looked so striking with the golds. But, I wanted a soot covered, used, war weary Caledor theme and ended up with reds and Shadow greys. I'm still toying with the idea of giving them scratches and having the cloaks muddied, etc, but I have so little experience doing that that I fear the army would just look messy and not battle weary.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Well, I hate the static pose of the plastic box BSB and I didn't like the axe on the High Elf hero fig, so I decided to fix that. I just put the standard on the hero fig and created a much more dynamic BSB.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:56 pm

hey, good stuff. Some of my favourite figs are ones that I have built from bitz.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 pm

Ha! I did the exact same conversion on my BSB! Same model, same banner and same shield I think. I also put a greatsword on his back though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top