Magnetic Bases

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnetic Bases

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:38 pm

I came back to my home town the other day and visited the local gaming shop and for the first time I saw galeforce nine magnetic bases. They were selling $10 a pack for any sized bases. I got a couple packs of the 25mm square bases each pack had 25 bases and bought a pack of the magnetized moving mats that came in packs of 4 with 5" x 8" size and they seemed like rubber and easy to cut to size. Just wondering if anyone else had seen these around, the store owner said that there were new.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnetic Bases

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 am

My wood elf army is fully magnetized but I used rare earth magnets and metal plates. I looked at using regular magnets but they seemed too weak to really make that much of a difference. With the rare earth magnets you can hold the unit upside down and nothing happens.

These sound cool and easy to work with though, especially the mats. I'd be interested in seeing how they work for you.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 am

Hey Zach, they're not new although they work alright. A fellow sent 25 of them and the rubber mat to me in a trade on Bartertown at least 2 years ago. Nathan is right, the rare earth magnets are way stronger. Too strong if you get the wrong size.

I never did use the magnets as they weren't strong enough for all the metal figs I had, but I suppose thay would work just fine for plastic figs. I have 25 and a the mat, did you want a Christmas present? Very Happy You can have them if you want.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:05 pm

I still have some rare earth magnets and steel plates available for sale if anyone's looking?

Don, Carson I still have your stuff if you still want it? Let me know, no worries either way.

That's right, I'm back!

nathanr wrote:My wood elf army is fully magnetized but I used rare earth magnets and metal plates. I looked at using regular magnets but they seemed too weak to really make that much of a difference. With the rare earth magnets you can hold the unit upside down and nothing happens.

These sound cool and easy to work with though, especially the mats. I'd be interested in seeing how they work for you.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

David, it's great you're back! We wondered what happened...

I still definitely want those bases, and probably much more. I can't remember what I ordered and I'm not working and broke. Don't throw them away though, I'll make good. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:57 pm

I can't remember what I ordered, are you coming down on Sat?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

I was thinking I'd stop in, yes. You had asked for just magnets. I do have a variety of base plates still if you're wanting.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:09 pm

David, I did a quick look through......I'm looking for 10x3 or a 10x2, 1 7x5, 2 7x2,

Let me know what you have or if you can make up a custom order. I'd like to order up enough for my chaos and dark elf army if you could.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:23 pm

I'd like to definitely order more and I know a fellow or two around here would like some.

I have never used rare earth magnets before and these seem strong. Am I going to pull heads off by accident? What is the actual measurement of these magnets?

Anyone interested should look into these. The bases are really nice and have slightly rounded corners so there won't be any band-aids. They dont have a ridge around them either so the units look like they're just ranked up on the table very neatly.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 pm

rare earth magnets are the best I've seen. Fit perfectly depth wise into a gw base. perfect level of strength.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey Carson,

I have 10x2($5) and 10x3($6).

I can cut you 7x2($4) and 7x5($6.5) if you want. My "hand" cut stuff is not quite as precise and doesn't have perfect radius corners, but I use a metal shear (big metal "paper" cutter thing), so the edges are clean and square.

If you're talking about a whole army and Don's looking for more, another order for Waterjet cut bases is a definite possibility, especially if anyone else wants some too.

-David

Carson wrote:David, I did a quick look through......I'm looking for 10x3 or a 10x2, 1 7x5, 2 7x2,

Let me know what you have or if you can make up a custom order. I'd like to order up enough for my chaos and dark elf army if you could.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey Don,

I'm glad you like them!

The magnets are 1.5mm x 6.0mm disks, so they fit in all slota bases, straight or angled. They don't fit in cavalry bases without a bit of a hole, but using a 1/4" drill bit (by hand) you can easily make a hole the perfect size for a magnet.

If you glue the magnet flush up inside the base so they don't contact the plate, the pull force is ~1/4 lb, if you glue them in lower so that they do contact the plate, it's about 0.85 lbs. I do the first for plastics and the second for metal. I recommend using epoxy not CA glue, especially for the second case.

Let me know i you have any other questions, and if you come up with a list for an order.

-David

squalie wrote:I'd like to definitely order more and I know a fellow or two around here would like some.

I have never used rare earth magnets before and these seem strong. Am I going to pull heads off by accident? What is the actual measurement of these magnets?

Anyone interested should look into these. The bases are really nice and have slightly rounded corners so there won't be any band-aids. They dont have a ridge around them either so the units look like they're just ranked up on the table very neatly.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm glad you like them, it took a quite a bit of searching to find just the right ones.

Carson wrote:David, I did a quick look through......I'm looking for 10x3 or a 10x2, 1 7x5, 2 7x2,

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 am

I'll take 1 10x3, 2 7x2, 1 7x5. When do you want the other army orders? The square edges (handcut) is fine with me.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 am

Sounds good, I should be able to get those cut for you this evening.

I can place an order as soon as I have reasonable interest, we can do it really soon.

I'll post a new message in the next day or so, and see if I can scare up some more buyers.

-David

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top