Masters Round4

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Masters Round4

Post  Mhael on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 am

i really liked the Bugman combined scoring system and the quiz at the beginning to test out everyones knowledge of 8th. not sure if I am sold on ranking sportsmanship though because I feel like I cheated some of the guys by giving a one when they dealt with the game issues in a classy manner and both answered and recieved my opinions in a sportsman fashion. I liked scoring sportsmanship based on criteria.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 am

Everything was well done, the comp did it`s job fairly well I think as there was no uber cheese units anywhere that I saw. But I have to say that I may have cheated some armies I played on army build scores as since I don`t know what a really cheesey( and therefore scores a 0) army would look like for most races, I couldn`t tell what a balanced competetive yet tournament caliber army for that race would look like either. The quiz was a cool addition, next time I`m sure more of us will know the rules a bit better and won`t have to consult the book nearly as much.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm

not sure if I am sold on ranking sportsmanship though because I feel like I cheated some of the guys by giving a one when they dealt with the game issues in a classy manner and both answered and recieved my opinions in a sportsman fashion. I liked scoring sportsmanship based on criteria.

You can blame me for this as it was my idea, and thinking about it more I actually agree with you. I had 3 awesome games with Geoff, Dom and Andre and my scoring came down to "funny events" that happened during the game instead of real sportsman which doesn't seem the point of the scoring. I honestly could have given all 3 of my opponents full score for sportsmen -- and you don't see that very often.

I agree with Nathan about judging other armies, although sometimes it's really obvious that someone brought "that list" you find on the net.

Big thumbs up to Tony and taking money away from Canada! Great addition to the group and can't wait to get a game in.

Congrats to my good buddy Wade for taking home the statue and getting some Vamps I'm sure he's willing to trade for Dark Elves -- if anyone's interested. Wink

Not to get all corny, but I think we have a really, really good group of guys and it's too bad we can't get together more often. That was a great day and reminds me how much the other Moose Jaw guys are missing out.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I agree with Nathan, it was hard to score armies based on cheese, as everyone has there own idea of what makes a cheesey army. What makes a unit a game breaker, a neat trick, good, or dastardly all varies from person to person. I like the idea I just think it needs more fine tuning as to what constitutes cheese/build criteria.

The restrictions were good, at first I was not sure how it would play out. For the most part the lack of big characters and a few of them per army meant more models and units on the table, which is usually a good thing.

As for the sportsmanship I think the combine award is a really good idea. Like Don I don't think I had a game where the opponent was bad, and was up to shady shenanigans. If you are interest I could see if I have a copy of a ranking system that I got from a tourney back in BC, it operated on a higher scale, but had a brief definition of what made a person a better or worse sport on the scale, from reminding people about things they missed, that would cost the reminding player the game to shady rolling, and how it all fit in, granted there was some problem gamers in that group that had a bad reputation, and make us look like saintly school girls in comparison for sportsmanship. It may have also had a blurb on their about composition as well.
In that tourney I had one guy scoop dice so fast I had no idea what he hit, and constantly tried to lie about stat lines for units till you called him on it, would not check on his own only if you caught it (lots of basic S4 dark elves according to him), he had been playing the same army for 15 yrs, so it was not like he was just not sure, could have been playing to character though dastardly dark elves. Smile

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks guys, I blame the dice! Smile What a great tournament, thanks for doing such a stellar job Carson! Everything went smooth and everybody seemed to have a great time. I'm writing a tournament report for the guys back home and I think it will be 50% superlatives and praise words! Very Happy

Regarding scoring. I liked how there was 45 points for games and as much as 30 soft points, a ratio that for sure rewards all aspects of the hobby and those good qualities of a friendly gamer. I was really surprised to win the tournament with two wins and one loss, because that never happens in Finland with the way points are given there. However, I feel that the way sportsmanship points were given works against the system. With such a high emphasis on soft scores, someone can lose the big prize simply because people have to give some people less sports points than others. So either let people give full points to everybody if they feel like it or then remove sports points from the total and give the one with the highest score a new prize.

Also, I don't think it's best to let players give each others points for army composition. Honestly, having seen my share of very competitive tournaments, I would have given every list I saw here full points. Some lists were tough but still totally fair. I think it's the tournament organizers job, if anybody's, to check out the lists and compare them and decide if some get rewarded/punished. It's some extra work for an already hectic day, but that's how I feel it should be. Also gives players a face to blame for losing out on prizes. Very Happy

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:46 pm

After the tournament, over drinks Very Happy , the idea was thrown out that maybe sportsmanship should be dropped from our clubs tournaments. Quite a testament to the quality of members we have here! Thoughts on this?

The ranking for sportsmanship is a good one but dos'nt fit for our group. All three of my opponents should really have scored a 3. Would it have changed the outcome......no, as noone recieved perfect or "all 3's". It actually averaged out equally.

All of the contenders for the overall title had 2 wins and a loss, Tony vaulted ahead of the rest by his perfect marks on the quiz. Other than that the rest were within a few points of each other.

Joe was the single player with three wins but dropped down from the quiz, painting, and army build points.

In a tournament, EVERY, point counts. Alot of tournaments are decided by 1 or 2 points.

Brent, I wouldn't mind seeing that form from B.C. sometime.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:58 pm

I completly agree witht the soft scores being worth so many points compared to win/losses because on any given day your best strategies can be negated by dice rolling but your actual involvement in the hobby still gets rewarded.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 pm

I know i am not new anymore but with only a few dozen battles under my belt i am still on the curve. I am getting better and picking up speed. As for the Tourny i think it was all good, nine hours of dice rolling is what i enjoy doing the rules were cool, the pre match quiz was different but it allowed there to be more room at the end of the day for points. One idea i had was If we set up a larger point gap system it might make a clearer winner have four different choices instead of three.

so maybe...

Slaughter (9-3)
Major victory (8-4)
Minor victory (7-5)
draw (6-6)

and if possible in the next rd Slaughter vs Slaughter this might seperate the group more.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

I know i am not new anymore but with only a few dozen battles under my belt i am still on the curve. I am getting better and picking up speed. As for the Tourny i think it was all good, nine hours of dice rolling is what i enjoy doing the rules were cool, the pre match quiz was different but it allowed there to be more room at the end of the day for points. One idea i had was If we set up a larger point gap system it might make a clearer winner have four different choices instead of three.

so maybe...

Slaughter (9-3)
Major victory (8-4)
Minor victory (7-5)
draw (6-6)

and if possible in the next rd Slaughter vs Slaughter this might seperate the group more.

On and also, someone lent me a wizard to be my lord he is safe and i have himm i can take him down to the den this weekend if i find a name to leave it for.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh that was me, totaly forgot about that. If you could just leave it for mw (Nathan) that would be cool, thanks man.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:41 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top