Nathan's Models

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan's Models

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 am

I feel the same about the pictures I take. Either the colour is all wrong, the lighting is poo (can't seem to get that right) or the detail is such that there's no way my eyes can see it that way when I hold it in my hands.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Tell me about it, really tough to get good photos without an expensive camera.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:29 pm

These were just quick cellphone camera shots but they turned out looking like I sneezed the paint on. I'll take the time maybe tonight to set up the light tent and take some real pictures. I've been meaning to get shots of the whole army now that its done so maybe I'll do that too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

I dug out the light tent and camera last night and took some glamour shots of the High Elves. This army is done (Until I decide to add to it).

First up, the characters:

Prince, I also have him on a griffon and I use him for Eltharion:

Archmage:

Alternate Prince:

Bsb:

Core Units:

Archers:

Spearmen:

Special Units:

Swordmasters, I usually run the unit with the two characters:

Silverhelms:

Dragon Princes x2:

Rare Units:

Bolt Thrower:

Eagle:

Looking at the pictures there are a few things that I should go back and touch up but the most part I'm pretty happy with how this army turned out. I definitely put the most effort into it of all my armies and I think it shows.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 am

Here's the next thing on my table. I wanted something a little grander than what I was using for my grail reliquae and I was inspired by Carson's war alter so I made a Bretonnian version. Once I get it painted up I'll put some Grail Pilgrims in and around it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Very cool looking HE army. Love the color and my only complaint is you need more Eagles.😄

Great looking relique and it was your Bretts that inspired mine. Thanks?

Could you take a picture of the actual light tent? Those pictures look so different it's obviously worth getting one.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a205/?srp=1

This is the exact one that I have, I think it was cheaper when I got it a few years ago though. It works pretty well, I also adjusted the levels in those pictures using photoshop so that helped too. It is just such a hassle to set all that up just for a few pictures.

Thanks for the compliments Don, I will be revisiting the Bretonnians and hopefully expanding them with some new units. I have more plans for the High Elves but I think I'll wait until the new army book comes out before I do anything. I'd like to make a few themed armies (ie: caledor - dragons, charace - lions, etc.) and paint them all in this scheme so they can be mixed and matched later on or taken as one giant force. I'm really hoping for some dragon princes riding drakes as a monstrous cavalry option in the new book whenever it comes out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Now thats more like it.... great looking units, can't wait to see the reliquae all finished up......please put some form of dead knight on it. Love the concept of pious peasents toteing around a skeletal knight.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 pm

My game with Darren made me re-evaluate my army list. With the loss of my ability to magically boost my units and the concentrated decimation of my swordmasters I found that my other combat units just couldn't stand up to Darren's ranked up saurus units. I think I'm going to mount my lord on a horse and put him in with the silverhelms as well as toss my BSB in with the spears. It will weaken my swordmaster unit but to be fair, they don't need double character support, they are hard enough as is. This should make my other two main combat units a little more fearsome to my opponents and get rid of the death-star feel to my army.

The only problem with this plan is that I don't like any of the mounted high elf models. I solved that problem last night, I cut the avatars of war elf warrior in half at the waist and put him on the legs and horse from the plastic character kit. I think it actually worked pretty well. I've already painted the horse and I'll get to the prince soon. I'll take some crappy iphone pictures tonight. Hopefully I can get everything painted up soon (I also need to paint 2 swordmasters) so that I can keep claiming the 1 point/game for being fully painted!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Here it is, not the greatest pic but you can get the idea.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 pm

nicely done. I love conversions!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Agree, that's going to look great.

There's a fellow on Ulthuan that runs a Lord in a Silverhelm bus and it's supposed to be quite the unit. I think it will work out just fine for you.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I figured I'd follow Trevor's example and start logging what I do, if for no other reason than to keep myself motivated.

Since my last post here I've done the following:

- Finished painting the Mounted Lord, pics soon.
- Painted and based 2 swordmasters to fill out the unit
- Painted up the Grail Reliquarymobile, pics soon.
- Based 3 pegasus knights that were previously painted
- Based 3 grail knights and 4 knights of the realm that were previously painted
- Based and painted 13 peasant bowmen to bring my total to 28. In a related note, does anyone have 2 old-style bretonnian peasant archers? Very Happy
- Painted shields and other bits on some mostly-finished knights of the realm
- started basing 10 more knights of the realm, I've done the greenstuff on 7 of them, just need to finish off the other 3, then add sand, then paint.

My future plans are to revisit the paintjobs of some of my old bretonnians, add some freehand heraldry to them, clean up some really old, really bad paint jobs etc. Once I have that finished I should have 2 fairly stand-alone 2500 point bretonnian armies fully painted. One done in a classic, by-the-book heraldry theme and one in a crusader/angelic theme. Both armies are based the same so I can mix units if I want.

On the 12th I'm going to paint up a bit of a conversion I did based on the Green Knight model. I already have a painted Green Knight so this one will be used as a Bretonnian Lord, I gave him a lance and will paint him up in a much lighter color scheme. I have a few ideas but we'll see how they actually pan out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Since that last post I have finished all my bretonnians knights, I need to pick up a few more to fill out the units though so I can't say I'm done quite yet. I also got around to sorting through all the crap I have in the garage. I now have everything sorted by army, tossed some really useless stuff that I have no idea why I was keeping and generally tidied everything up. I was quite surprised to find just how little unpainted stuff I have!

Lastly, I figured I should share my painting progress from yesterday. I've burned out on this fig, I'll shelve it for now and revisit it in a few days. Lots left to do on it, mostly the metal and other finicky bits so I don't want to half-ass them. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions or critiques please let me know!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Brets are a challenge to paint. SOOOOOO many details on every miniature. I think that army would kill me before I could ever finish painting it. You are doing a great job.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

Started painting up a lion chariot last night. I got the lions and the chariot structure done, just have the crew and banner left to paint. Once it is done I only have 2 repeater bolt throwers to paint and then I'll have all the High Elf models that I own painted.

I'm getting close with my other armies as well. I did an inventory on Sunday and Here is a list of what I have remaining to paint:

High Elves:
- Lion Chariot
- 2 repeater bolt throwers

Bretonnians:
- 2 archers
- 10 knights of the realm

Wood Elves:
- 4 waywatchers
- 10 wardancers
- 5 glade riders

Dwarfs:
- 10 Rangers
- 10 thunderers
- Re-base about 50 more dwarfs to match my usual 2500 point army.
- These guys require the most work as they got boxed after a league and haven't been touched since. I need to repair a bunch of guys that have come off their bases, re-attach magnets, etc.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 am

So, I'm going to be making the terrain for the megabattle and one of the pieces is going to be an elven gate. I'm going to build it from plasticard and styrofoam, it will span between two cliff faces and guard the entrance to a pass. The wall will be wide enough for 2 ranks of 20mm bases so ideal for archers. I made up a 3D model of it using some software at work:

From that I'll be able to create a set of drawings which will give me patterns which can be cut out and used to make the pieces. It should work pretty slick. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get it all done and painted. The other pieces are mostly just going to be impassible cliff faces, rocky outcroppings and other such things. There's going to be a lot of pink styrofoam pieces flying around my garage over the next month or so.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm

That looks amazing!

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm

This is the pattern sheet I made up, I just need to print it out on 11"x17" paper and I'm good to go!

While I was at it I made up a model for a building with a deck, I saw something similar on Ulthuan.net which is a high elf forum. The building in the model you see here will sit on top of a rocky bluff with pilliars supporting the deck. I don't know if it will make it into the megabattle but it will be a nice terrain piece to have in my collection anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Ever thought about going into sales......If you can make the buildings out of plasticard to look that smooth then you've got something worth some doe.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I actually thought about getting the parts water-jet cut, with that it would be what you see is what you get. I could even then design it with slots and tabs so assembly would be easier, basically just a puzzle that you glue together and paint. I might have to look into the cost for that.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:59 pm

I finished painting the lion chariot tonight, the hardest part was getting the freehand on the banners to look ok on both sides. I'll post pictures in the next few days so you can see what I mean. Next up is a blitz on terrain building which will probably start this weekend if I can find some free time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor Y. on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm

I love the High Elf chariots. Can't wait to see it.

Trevor Y.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am

I spent last night cutting and gluing styrofoam into cliff shapes. So far I have 1 1/2 of the 6 planned cliff faces roughed out. I also made a start on the gate, it is HARD to cut straight lines with a hot wire cutter and its even harder to cut nice even curves! It's going to need a lot more work but it's coming together. I'm going to need to pick up more styrofoam insulation this weekend as I have nearly exhausted my supply. I definitely need to get thicker stuff because I'm making the cliffs approximately 8-10" tall so it uses a lot of 1/2" layers to get that! Once I get it all roughed out I'm going to cover it with spackle to achieve a rocky texture and then I'm going to get a few small cans of paint tinted in various shades of grey.

Should I post WIP pictures or do people want to be surprised on the day?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 am

Only show pictures to Elf people. I've seen what happens on The Lord of the Rings movies when Orcsies penetrate a wall. We can't have that.

Did you want some money for this Nathan? Breakfast?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top