Re: Nathan's Models

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 am

Not at all, it's basically drywall mud.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:34 pm

That's the best method for Infantry I feel.

The dragon looks good but like you said really needs some lighter highlights on the metals. Have you considered a lighter shade for the wing "membrane" parts. It would make the limbs of the wings really stand out.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 am

I spent some more time on the metals, I think the dragon's head-armour turned out good but the throne top doesn't look quite right.  I think I'll need to re-work it a bit and really think about how the light would hit it.

Of course, when I had finished one side of the head armour I showed it to my wife and asked which side she liked better and she picked the unfinished side. I said "ok thanks" and kept on painting. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'd just spent 2 hours on the side she didn't like.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 pm

WOMEN!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm

That happens to me all the time. I remember posting an army of mine once, one fellow said it was ok but he REALLY like how the giant was painted.....the one model I didn't paint. Lol.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Care to bring it by on Saturday? I'd like to look at it in the reals.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:11 pm

I can definitely bring it along. It looks quite a bit different in person and I would assume it will look different under the fluorescent lighting at the den as well.

The metal work is a bit rough when you look at it close-up but I'm not exactly sure how to smooth it out. Maybe my metallic paints are getting too old and gummy? I tried to water it down as much as I could but I find it really tough to control metallics especially when they're watered down a lot.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm

I just bought a bunch of scale75 metal paints. I like them as much as the Vallejo air metals I was using. I have some extra unopened you could buy from me at reasonable rates!

Metals are very, very tough to get right. I would call myself a fair metal painter but I worked very hard and specifically on it for more than a year focusing almost entirely on improving my metallic painting.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks Scott, I'm not planning on doing a bunch of high-quality metal painting right away so I'll hold off on getting anything new but I'll keep that in mind for the next time I'm planning a project like this.  I definitely agree that painting metal is a whole different animal than painting colors.  There's a lot more to think about in terms of lighting and reflections and if you don't get it just right it looks wrong. This is a good project to practice on because it has lots of big plates rather than fiddly little ornamental armour (like on the rider). I definitely think I did a better job on the dragon's armour than the rider.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:51 pm

So I effectively finished the dragon, I'll post pictures as soon as I can.  I didn't have the right color grass tufts for the base so it won't be totally done until those are on there but the paint work is done.  I've already moved onto the next project which is Flames of war terrain.  I cut enough styrofoam to make 30 feet of bocage hedgerow and I made a couple hill pieces as well.  Lastly I made some pieces that fit onto the prepainted stream I bought to make high banks and a ford.

None of it is painted or foliaged yet so it doesn't look very impressive so I didn't take any pictures. Once I do a successful test bocage section I'll post some pictures and maybe a step-by-step.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 am

I assembled a treeman tonight, it was nice to be working in a bigger scale again after struggling with FOW for the past few months. I'm excited to put some paint on this behemoth although it probably won't happen until after Garagecon. If nothing else it got me back in the Warhammer mindset so that was good.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Here's the start of my treeman. It's going to be a long process, there are so many little fiddly bits everywhere plus I need to build a base for it. Let me know if you like or dislike what I've got so far and feel free to make suggestions. I'm looking to give this guy my best effort.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 am

I hate it. You should just give me the beautiful model and I'll see what I can do with it.

Seriously, perfect colour choice. On games workshop it mentions for the age of Sigmar that a treeman can be used in any elf army. (Not legions)

I may pick one up, unless you give me this one of course.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks Don! Only the chest plate is anywhere close to finished at the moment but I figured I should post it to show the direction I'm planning to go with it. I'm going to work on getting smooth transitions from light to dark with this model, something I struggle with and really admire in other people's painting. I'm excited about painting this though and that's something I haven't been able to say about a model in a long time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Smooth transitions...

Thinned paint, try 2 water to 1 paint.

Brush load... make sure a more minimal amount is on the brush and use a kolinsky sable. I blot off most of the paint on a towel then I run the brush over the back of my off hand. I know it's good when I can see paint but my hand doesn't really feel the "wet". That's my marker for it anyway.

Work from where you want the least paint to where you want the most of the colour to be. Wherever your brush stroke ends is where the most pigment will end up.

Shade and highlight instead of layering from darkest to lightest. Work from a mid tone then add shading the same way as above. Then work in the opposite direction for the highlights. Truthfully I've always worked from darker rather than lighter and only since around December started doing it from a mid tone (or even a touch lighter) and it tends to look more eye catching AND is less time consuming.

Post LOTS of pics, like you are. Keep it up.

I'd add more edge highlighting to the inside of the weird queer chest light rune thingy. It looks like you caught the edges of the bottom of the runes with a white but I would do it for the top as well. Unless the angle is bad and you did it. If that's the case, way to go!

What I am most impressed with on this mini is actually the inside weird tree bark guts stuff. You've done an excellent job of keeping it really dark so as to be completely separate form the exterior bark skin shit but you've done a great job of working it so while it's dark it looks interesting. Interesting enough that it could be missed at first glance.

I mean this as a real compliment, it's an astounding level to shoot for. As you've grown as a painter I've bet you've noticed on some mini's where there are parts like on this treemen where you can see a painter just sorta painted it scorched brown, shaded with a black wash and called her tits for the day. Taking the extra time as you've done means that while the rest of the mini get's it's paint it's going to be the kind of mini that keeps the attention of someone really looking at it. These parts of mini's when they get done properly really separate the majority of table level stuff from the people working at the next level.

Keep it up Nathan!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks Scott, that's some good advice and I'm going to try to follow it. Hopefully I can do some more painting tonight, if so I'll post more pictures.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:56 pm

I did a little more work on the treeman.

I re-did the chest runes and I think I was more successful with them, I also worked at making the transitions between light and dark around the edges of the chest bark as smooth as possible. Then I tried to do the same with the leaves on the loincloth. Lastly I put down the secondary base layers on the left leg. From there I'll go lighter and darker the next time I get a chance to work on this guy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:51 pm

I finished up the front of the leg. I'm pretty happy with it so far but if you see anything that needs more work or could be done better/differently please let me know. I think the next step for me will be to block in the secondary coat everywhere so that it's just a matter of highlighting and shading to finish it off. GW posted a Durthu painting video series a while back on YouTube, I'm going to follow that guide for the sword and face. Stay tuned to see how those turn out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:51 am

Looks great Nathan. That's going to be a center piece and an absolute joy to land a flaming skull on. Very Happy

Those GW tutorial videos are superb.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:07 am

Yep, flaming skulls do tend to wreck a treeman. Here's a question, this guy came with a bigger base than treemen used to have. Should I rebase my other treeman to this new base size or should I leave it as-is? I know you're supposed to just use whatever size base the model came with but what do you do for a scratch-built model?

One other question, what color should I paint the staff/spear handle? I was thinking the dark brown with blue or red glow effects from the details but I'd like to have you guys' opinions on it. I'll post pictures of the handle so you all can have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:13 pm

The honourable thing is to base the models in the "new size". I would hold off as a few weeks from now may change basing again.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:19 pm

True enough. Who knows, I may be investing in a couple Giant round bases soon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:10 pm

No opinion on the staff? If you need a reference, here is the GW-painted treeman ancient, I replaced the vine thingies coming out the end with Durthu's swordblade.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:02 pm

its really coming along nicely. I'd stick with the red to yellow color on the staff handle as it matches your army colors.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:06 pm

I painted the sword blade tonight as well as the glowing parts of the face. I think they turned out ok.

And here's a full-model shot showing just how much I have left to do. Hopefully I can get him done before the end of the month, that's what I'm shooting for anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top