Nathan's Models

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathan's Models

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 pm

I've pretty much finished off my wood elf army, all I have left to paint are a few odds and ends. Here are my 3 units of dryads and the overly-complicated skirmishing movement trays that I got from David. Everything is magnetized which works pretty slick:

Also I finished off my treekin:

Next up are the wild riders, I've got 3 left to paint and the rest need touch-ups.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nathan's Models

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Feels good to finish up units and projects I bet. I love your WE army, looks good when all deployed on the table. 6 treekin in a unit are down right scary.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 pm

I still have a bunch of wardancers, some waywatchers and a couple characters but for all intents and purposes once I finish the last 3 wild riders I'm calling it done and yes, it does feel good! Of course it just means I need to come up with a new project.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Those look great. Can't wait to play against this army.

Of course it just means I need to come up with a new project.

That's the right attitude.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I've always got a few projects waiting in the wings, I've got my Dwarf army to finish re-basing (and I have several boxes of unpainted dwarfs as well), I need to expand my Bretonnian army to 2500 points (got a box of knights waiting to be assembled and painted) and I've got pretty much all the models for a high elf army, I just have a bit of conversion work to do and then I can start painting.

Once in my life have I ever been "finished" and had every mini I owned painted. That same day I went out and bought a load more and never looked back. Now I have enough unpainted stuff to keep me busy forever.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:19 pm

I love having a stash of unpainted shit. I kind of enjoy being able to pick any kind of potential mood I may have and know I have the figure to go with it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Wierd. I was just zooming around on www.Asrai.org (which I rarely do) and saw your same models there.
I'm glad you kept the old treemen for use as treekin.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Ya, I post there from time to time. More to get ideas and figure out what other people are doing with the army. I'm on Ulthuan.net too for my High Elves but it doesn't seem to be a very friendly forum.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey Nathan, awesome looking figs, just curious though what green did you use for the bases? I'm having trouble finding a nice one.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks! The green bits on the bases are sand with a chaos black base coat, then dark angels green and drybrushed with goblin green. I used the same combination with my bretonnian bases and I'll probably use it for my high elves as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:48 am

I'm on Ulthuan.net too for my High Elves but it doesn't seem to be a very friendly forum..

I found the very same thing and it actually had something to do with me getting rid of the High Elf army I had. Part of liking an army, for me anyways, is also the community a good army specific website can provide. A good site to visit helps enjoy the army. All the HE players (on that site) seem to do is talk politics -- VERY zealously and pick on each other....not in a nice way. One of the poorer sites in my opinion.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm

I think I've finally settled on a color scheme for my high elf army. It is super easy and I think it will look sharp once I get it all done. I did up a few test models (minus the skin so far) so let me know what you think:

The blue metal is just boltgun metal with a blue wash and the silver is just boltgun metal highlighted with mithril silver. The white is a basecoat of Kommando Khaki highlighted up to skull white. It should be quick and easy. I'm going to paint up a dragon prince, an archer and a silverhelm before I decide for sure but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Looks good 'n fast. Though it would take extra time I think doing the gems in a different colour would help make them pop.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Those are going to look great! The swordmaster looks almost ethereal and his sword looks awesome. Keep going.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:49 am

Good thinking Scott, I was thinking an orange might look good for the gems, I'll give it a try.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 pm

should look pretty sharp Nathan You might want to throw in a single color throughout the whole army maybe on randomn models, such as a parchment or sash etc.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Hate to be the pain in the ass but honesty is my business, I think they look unfinished especially for an elf army. Maybe just not what I picture for that army needs some more color.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the comment Andre, I'm going to paint the gems orange as a contrast color, think that would be enough? I want to keep a really clean slate with the models so I don't really want to add much more color than what is already in the blue metal. The picture kinda washes out the blue but in person it is definitely more vibrant. I'll finish painting up the test models and then I'll look for a final verdict.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Maybe some color on a banner or some distinguishing colors on the champion. I dont have elves as models do they have short swords in scabards or any of the like? That would work.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:14 pm

I photoshopped in some orange gems and some skin tones, kinda quick and dirty but you can get the idea at least. Which do you like better?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 am

I like it, with the skin tone it gives my eye some sharp contrast to the armor scheme.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 pm

So I need to figure out a good and easy way to paint the skintones. I've never really put much effort into skin tones so I'm looking for you guys' recipes. Don, I like how your's look so I'd especially like to know the colors you used.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 am

I'm pretty lazy, so I kept it simple: Dwarf flesh. Ogryn wash. Highlight with Dwarf flesh. painted a line where the lip recess is.

Here's a tutorial that got me motivated to paint the Elves, maybe you can pick some things out of here:
http://andthereisonlywar.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20to%20paint%20the%20new%20Sword%20Masters%20of%20Hoeth

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:49 am

Here is an Avatars of War Lizardman I painted up for a competition on WAMP. It was fun to paint.

Last edited by nathanr on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 am

RED X!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:36 pm