Carson's 250pts/month project blog

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carson's 250pts/month project blog

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 am

You could paint them Albino and pale looking to go with the Bone coloured theme you have with the Warriors. I say this for two reasons; My Beastmen are in the process of being painted black/greyish with snow bases and I don't think we want to copy each other, AND I think albino coloured Beastmen look awesome. I didn't paint them that way as a fellow from Regina has Albino Beastmen that comes to my house to game every now and then and I didn't want to have a "samesees" army so I picked a dark theme for my Beastmen. Since you and I bump into each other on occasion, maybe run with the pale theme -- which is nicer in my honest opinion, and it would blend with your Warriors...for whatever that's worth.

My Beastmen are primed black with a codex grey drybrush and the fur is Scorched Brown built up to a Bleached, almost white....just so you know. I'm doing snow bases for the first time and I don't want to screw it up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I really like the look of those big chunky blocks, Carson! Great work! I like how you've got a balanced, eye-pleasing color scheme so that the unit looks very unified but when you look closer there's also a lot of cool details. What model is that marauder champion? I don't think I've ever seen that before. The snow looks cool in general, but maybe a bit funny in some places (on the wheels of the warshrine, on some bases).

What are you going to use the gors as? Forsaken?

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:33 pm

I think its a games day fig I traded Don (squalie) for. Snow is one tough mutha too get right. On some it looks right, on other it looks like a lump of glue. I wanted the snow to look deep and not like a "sciff" I've seen on other people's work.

The Gors are just gonna be good old Gors, but yeah, they would work in a pinch for forsaken.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:54 pm

The Marauder is a 2002 Gamesday champ model. I think I'm going to try to make the snow bases for my beastmen look like the "sciff" you talk of. Like drifting snow. Is that bad?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 am

Of course there is no "one correct type" of snow. One of the biggest surprises I've had coming here to Saskatoon is how different the snow is. Because of the dryness, snow here is more like sand or fine salt and naturally forms drifting shapes and dunes and what I guess would be called skiff. Back home in Finland we get a lot of moisture even during the winter time and subsequently the snow gets thick, heavy and clumpy, something that would almost look like a clump of glue I guess. It also depends on the temperature.

But I guess the most clear approach with miniatures is to go for "movie snow", stuff that anyone will recognize as snow but which might not be the most natural or realistic type.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 am

B.C. snow and maritime snow in Canada is much like that....wet and heavy.

Don, your idea of drifting snow is terrible, bad, and wrong Very Happy I'm sure it will look great.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Had plans to paint up 10 Gor but will have to settle for a single test mini and a spawn for my WOC.

For February I will paint up 6 chaos ogres with greatweapons.....suitably chaosified with spikes and additional armour.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Take a picture of that Gor with a darker background, cuz right now it looks like someone took a rock and smashed it against a lump of shi......oh, nevermind. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Different background Don! Very Happy

Finished up another couple WOC units for my February work.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 am

That Warriors army is going to look so kick-ass that I'm going to feel guilty smashing it with Daemons, or High Elves, or.....

Seriously though, when it's done it's going to look awesome on the table.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice to see this army getting finished up, they look really good. How much is left to go?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:49 pm

All I have left to hit the 2500pt mark are 21 warriors.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

How about that AoW minotaur? Army's lookign good amigo.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Finished up this chosen unit for my march work. Picked up a couple of REAL old school ogres and though they would look cool with my chosen. Made some fundamental changes to my chaos army.....hence the mounted bsb.

For April I'm gonna paint up a couple of converted chaos chariots.....then its on to Orcs and Skaven.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Those look great Carson!

I almost pee'd my pants laughing when you wrote "then its on to Orcs and Skaven". Well, at least we know what you'll be doing by the time 10th edition is released!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Finished up these chaos chariots a while back. My chaos army is now finished to 3000pts.......feels good!

So.....on to my next project

Loved putting this unit together, mixing in some "mini viginettes" to give the unit a mixed horde type look. The screaming bell is an awesome model. Might not be the cats meow in game terms but who cares about that Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:54 pm

May was crazy busy and I failed miserably on my hobby pledge....but I did finish the front rank of the Skaven. Switched up gears for a bit now to add a few units to my WOC army.

Here is "Kugath, the terror of the North". My newest addition to my chaos army. Next up a Sorcerer on disk!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I like to think Kugath is the little guy in front! Looks pretty sweet and I like all the little extras you added.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Cool! When you were talking about using a Giant, I didn't know you had one painted! Should really get a Hellcannon though... Laughing

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Big hobby day for me today Very Happy Finished up a Sorcerer on disk......always hated the clear plastic thingy for flying models so I sculpted "magical fire"

Must be in some giant mode lately....here is Baug da Giant......newest addition to my O&G Waaagh

Later

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:33 am

You should get sick more often -- you're really productive when you're not feeling well.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top