Miscasting with Shadow Magic.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Miscasting with Shadow Magic.

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Hey guys.

So I was reading the spells and abilities for shadow magic, and in the rulebook it says "After a spell from the Lore of Shadow is successfully cast and resolved, the casting wizard can shoose to immediately swap places with a friendly character of the same troop type anywhere within 18"."

This is the question I have.

Lets say that my Vampire is casting a spell from the Lore of Shadow, and I miscast. In the book it says:

`When irresistible force occurs, first resolve the effect of the spell the Wizard was attempting to cast.... Once the effect of the spell has been resolved, the Wizard now needs to roll 2D6 on the miscast table to see what happens to him.'

I resolve the spell effect, but then do I move my wizard first, as if the teleportation is part of the spells effect since it's shadow magic? Or would I roll and resolve the miscast first?

Keep in mind it would matter since you could cast the spell with the caster in a unit, switch places with a character out of it to protect your guys from a potential small template strength 10, then just cast another and switch back.

I really don't know about this one.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miscasting with Shadow Magic.

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds like a roll off between players, could go either way.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:28 am

o. It is a timing issue. So the player whose turn it is gets to choose the order of resolving them.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:51 am

The Lore of Shadow says swap the character after the spell's effect is resolved. The miscast rule says roll on the table to see what happens after the spell's effect is resolved.

So we have a rule that says two things happen at the same time. Send in a faq question!

My call would be to have the spell's effect resolved, including the swapping effect, and then do the miscast. In effect, swapping with another character is part of the spell's effect, since it is part of the specific magic lore's rules, and the specific generally takes precedence over the general.

Plus it feels right: shadow magic is tricky.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 am

I agree with Patchfur. Exactly.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am

That would be true if there was not a specific rule that clearly states that every time there is a timing conflict, with two rules which would otherwise be resolved simultaneously, the player whose turn it is gets to pick the order of resolution.

No roll off, no faq needed, the rule exists to answer this situation, and any other timing conflict.

I will quote it with the page reference when I get home, but I believe it is near the front of the book if someone wants to beat me to it.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Eric is bang on with this one, I found the rule, page 10.

'Sequencing... you`ll find that two or more rules are to be resolved at the same time - normally `at the start of the movement phase` or similar. When this happens, and the wording is not explicit as to which rule is resolved first, then the player whose turn it is chooses the order.'

So I guess shadow magic is so tricky that you could miscast 3 times and never even kill 1 of your own guys. Picking whichever is better, teleporting before or after the boom, thats pretty awesome.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Alternately you could transport the miscasting wizard into combat and share the blast with the enemy unit!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm

You may choose the order but if you move the mage then resolve the miscast it will still centre on where the wizzard is now. So choose which unit you want to destroy.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:40 am

There you go! They put in a catch all to cover all that undefined stuff - good job GW. And you still have to sacrifice somebody.

Personally, after watching Rob's wizard destroy all but three of his chaos warrior unit with miscasts, I will be deploying wizards in skirmishing units or on their own. That is seriously nasty. A wizard in a unit needs to take it slow - one dice or two dice casting rolls!

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top