How do you paint a nice decent bright yellow. Such as would be found on a knight's heraldry?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you paint a nice decent bright yellow. Such as would be found on a knight's heraldry?

Post  Patchfur on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 am

I dunno. All my attempts look grimy.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you paint a nice decent bright yellow. Such as would be found on a knight's heraldry?

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 am

Yellow is probably the toughest to get right. I can't really do it either but I think the secret is to start with a white undercoat and layer the yellow on in thin, watered-down coats letting each dry completely before doint the next one. You could also try the GW foundation paints which are a bit more opaque. I think there is a yellow one of those. I'd still use lots of thin coats but you could probably get away with less coats than the regular paint.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you paint a nice decent bright yellow. Such as would be found on a knight's heraldry?

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 am

It's often that you'll need 2 coats for yellow. The same is true for Blood red. If you have a white undercoat then that's a good start, OR if you have a black undercoat then you have to paint the areas white first.

Other than that, you could just play evil armies and not have to worry about yellow....except for the sneaky Gobbo's....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 am

I think yellow would be good on a vampire counts army or possibly even chaos warriors if you did it right. Dark Elves could also look pretty cool in a purple and yellow color scheme.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Just keep adding paint, it'll get there!

I like the foundation yellow ochre. Can't remember what it's called. Tausept Ochre? Then just keep going with a brighter yellow. It's easy, just time consuming.

For a really good covering yellow try some of the Vallejo paints. William, if you pick up the quartermasters set from the den it comes with your basic colours like metal, white, black, and most importantly for your knights some really nice yellow red and blue. There is nearly as much pigment in the VMC range as the foundation paints, so it should be a good investment for your army.

And besides, what's wrong with grimey?!?! It's the way to go!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I'll give the vallejo a try. My best results have come from starting with a the foundation Iyanden Darksun, using sunburst yellow, highlighting up to white, and then a yellow ink glaze. But is it ever time consuming, and that much paint starts to have it's own texture...

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Thin your paint kid! Did you want results, or did you want speed? Two different boats you're talking about there!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey don't listen to that Radom kid......he has no clue how to paint. Very Happy

Seriously though, try a light brown undercoat before appyling the yellow...seems to work good.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 am

Seriously though, try a light brown undercoat before appyling the yellow...seems to work good..

Those are exactly the kind of tricks that make one a better painter....that don't make any sense to me. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top