Mini painting/building contest?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mini painting/building contest?

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Hey, I was thinking it might be fun to try doing one of those challenge thingies that don't always take off. But this time it'll be different!!!

I thought if we did something simple, and gave ourselves a month or so to finish up it might be fun. My thought was we could try something like "Music Man" and see who can paint up, convert, whatever the best unit musician? Anyone interested?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mini painting/building contest?

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 am

I think it's a good idea. If I hadn't already started work on a musician for the Chaos Dwarfs Online Golden Hat competition I'd be in ... but I don't think it's kosher to enter something twice in my case Wink I'd be happy to post pics once the competition is done and winners announced (probably around November 10th)...
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 am

That's where I got the idea from! Doubling up on contests is super fun, I do it ALL the time!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:09 am

Yep, I'm in. Should we make it even more open and let people paint a standard bearer instead if they'd rather?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:45 pm

nathanr wrote:Yep, I'm in. Should we make it even more open and let people paint a standard bearer instead if they'd rather?

I think if it's too open then those making standard bearers stand a much better chance of winning as it's a lot easier to make a grand and fantastic standard than it is to do a lot of other things. At least that's been my experience - those making standards just make them really huge and then if they can paint something even half-way decent freehand then they've probably won because they're much more eye-catching... and everyone else that's just painting a normal standard from one of an existing GW sprue or make up a musician or Champion are just throwing away their entry (or at least throwing away their chance at a winning entry). Of course it still comes down to ability and conversion/painting skills... but all else equal, it's probably best to stick with only one type: Musician, or Std Bearer, etc.

Any thoughts on a deadline for this?
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Nathan, we could always do a standard bearer for the following one!

Timeframe... dunno, what do you guys think? End of October?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm

End of October works for me. I'll have something for sure, but I think it's going to be painfully obvious which entry is mine Wink LOL

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:04 pm

End of October is fine, I don't have anything to convert but I do have an unpainted wardancer musician kicking around, I'll do that. Standard bearer sounds good for the next one.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Nicodemus wrote:
nathanr wrote:Yep, I'm in. Should we make it even more open and let people paint a standard bearer instead if they'd rather?

I think if it's too open then those making standard bearers stand a much better chance of winning ....

I hasten to add that I'm not trying to dictate terms of a contest here Wink As long as I have a contest-legal entry I'll enter regardless... if it's to be any type of command model then so be it.

But with that being said, anyone else up for this? Mmmmm, something pumpkiny would make a good end-of-October entry as well. Maybe a pumpkin-headed scarecrow playing the farmer's bone flute? affraid

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Meh... people enter or they don't. I can always see about a little prize or something but the real hope I have is to get people to enjoy putting some focus on single mini's and stuff. It's a lot of fun!

I even went down to the den today and bought my stuff to make up some nurgley themed Marauders. I am using the flagellant bodies and stuff with marauder weapons and shields. Sure.... their arms might look a LITTLE pumped up but I like the robed flagellant bodies for nurgley themed marauders. Just gotta find the bits to make the musician I want!

If we get a few more bodies interested in this, I'll put something a little more official looking with rules and stuff in the appropriate section.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Sounds like the beginnings of an army Scott! With the new stuff coming from Forgeworld you could make a pretty sweet nurgle army I think.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

The FW stuff is what got me going! I'm doing the ole "Test fig" thing now.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm in for this one. Are we looking at a plain jane musician or do you want something put together?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:36 pm

I would think we could just leave that up to the people. let them decide what they want to do!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm

OK, so conversion and GS work is pretty much done... on to the next stage Wink

BTW, where are pics sent ultimately? Are they posted directly to the forum by us or is it anonymous?

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm

No news in the past 3 weeks...either folks are busy with their entries or interest has petered out...

Is this contest still going on? Has it been made any more official (i.e. am I missing a separate thread some place)??

My entry is ready to be posted... are entries anonymous via some organizer or are we to post pics to the thread outselves?

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Well, with no news of how to go about posting/submitting my entry:

The Ravening Hordes list back at the start of 6th ED had an update for Chaos Dwarfs. Because Chaos Dwarfs were the ones who initially bred the Black Orcs a Chaos Dwarf may include 0-1 Units of Black Orcs as a Special selection. I didn't want just the plain old look for the BOs in my army, I wanted something that made them look like they're part of a Chaos Dwarf army proper and as the slaves they were created to me... including changing the Orc symbols to CD iconography, etc.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top