For the side of good only! Evil dudes eat it!! (Mega Battle Info)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For the side of good only! Evil dudes eat it!! (Mega Battle Info)

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 pm

okay team it seems like you have for the most part chosen me to be our general for the mega battle. were going up against a tall order here but i have no doubt that we can pull it off.

I would really like to hear what everyone has to say as far as tactics go and what not so keep the suggestions rolling and hopefully we can make some kind of plan.

as you know we all have 1500pst of which ever army we want (on the good side that is) before we start making to many plans i would really like to know what army people would rather play as and what they want to bring to make it as enjoyable as possible. so post up your list here and and feel free to give comments on how your army works in unison with each other and any "plans" you may have thought up while making your list. some time latter this evening i will post up what I'm thinking of bringing.

so our team looks like

Nathan R. - Brets or dwarfs or wood elves?
Andre - Dwarfs
Dom - The Empire
Zack - Lizardmen
Jeremy - Brets?
Joe - Wood elves?
Darren - Empire?
Paul - Wood elves
Brent - high elves

Last edited by Kuyp on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 am; edited 4 times in total

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: For the side of good only! Evil dudes eat it!! (Mega Battle Info)

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Should we maybe do this via PM or e-mail so team evil doesn't know all our tricks?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Uuuuh, good guys don't have tricks. Now EVIL guys, WE are going to have some tricks! Twisted Evil

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:09 pm

DON Get outta here ! Nathan as the game is for fun i don't think we need to worry that much about it. you have expect the evil duds to cheat to beat us good guys any way. plus i think it would be a lot easier to just have an open discussion rather than multiple pms and what not.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I think I will be going with a Slaan army, with the Slaan being a BSB in a unit of 30 temple guard. My core choice is filled by 2 units of 24 skinks each with 3 Kroxigor. I think the temple guard are a rock solid unit with good toughness good strength and probably one of the better armor saves a the forces of good can get on a stubborn unit. I kind of figured it would be up to the dwarfs or possibly lizardmen to form a sort of center. I like to take my Slaan with the Lore of Life, I think Throne of Thorns is a great spell, and Dwellers Below is always sure to generate some death.

Alternatively I've got a couple stegadons who I'm sure can inflict a couple wounds on the forces of chaos before they go down.

Also I built this list knowing that I have 40 painted Saurus and a Painted Carnosaur Lord to contribute to the set forces, though I think someone already volunteered theirs.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Cool. I'm not sure if I'll be taking dwarfs or bretonnians yet, depends on whether you want me in the initial defense or as part of the relief force. Either force will be fully painted and useful in its own way. Neither army will have much for magic or magic defense though as I'd be focussing on close combat and either manouverability (brets) or shooting (dwarfs).

My dwarf army would have a big-ish unit of hammerers with the banner that gives all units within 6" a ward save from shooting and magic missiles so they would help make a pretty good anchor in the ruins, especially if they deployed within 6" of the shooting units, they could protect the artillery from return fire to a degree. My bretonnians would consist of several knight trains (12-15 knights in ranks of 3) for maximum damage and combat resolution with the aim to strike quickly, break the enemy on the first turn then rinse and repeat.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:23 pm

so i think i have figured out what i will bring. a large unit of halberds with good staying power, can form up toward the centre to form a good anchor, followed by its support unit and a knight unit handy to help make a breaking point some where in there lines. i will also be bringing some fast cavalry to help stall units as need be. i don't have any wizards in my list but i do have a warrior priest to help with dispelling and what not. I think we could use some good stall wart units (dwarfs & lizards) and then some knights and wood elves to tear away the rest while the centre units hold the others at by for as long as we can.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:58 pm

I'll make up a bretonnian list and a dwarf list this week and then post them here (minus magic items) and we can decide which will work better for the team.

Edit: here is the dwarf list minus the rune items

Dwarf Lord
Thane with Battle Standard

Core:
12 thunderers with shields, musician and champ
12 thunderers with shields, musician and champ

Special:
27 hammerers with shields and full command
2 bolt throwers with engineers

Rare:
Organ gun or flame cannon - whatever we decide we want more, or we can drop the rare choice and REALLY rune up the bolt throwers (S9 bolt thrower anyone?)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:00 pm

I will be taking wood elves.

I guess the first decision to make is who will be the 3 armies deployed at the beginning of the game? I would suggest a combo of dwarfs and empire heavy on the shooting.

I was toying with the idea of a drycha list. The only downside is that she must be deployed at the beginning of the game taking up one of the 3 spots. Although a Drycha army wouldn't have any glade guard it would have plenty of rock hard dryads, treekin and a treeman to act as body guards to the artillery. Not too mention she is a lvl2 wizard, generates 2 dispel dice, has 2 bound treesingings, and my favourite: can teleport her unit from forest to forest. Perfect for getting up in the face of the evil side and slowing them down.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

What do you want from my High Elves,
I can hold line with Phoenix Guard and Spears
I can slam in with Dragon Princes, and chariots
Let me know, how and where you want the Elves, so I can maximize the points

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Joe - a drycha list sounds awesome, I'm sure we could work something out where drycha comes on as a relief model and then the turn after can start bringing in units but I guess we'll have to talk to Carson and Bob about that one.

b.kevinsen - I think magic will be an important component that we don't really have a lot of right now and I imagine that you would probably be coming on as part of the relief force so speed will probably be important. I think a mix of chariots and infantry might do well, kind of a 1-2 punch.

I think we should try to have as much of our army painted as possible so keep that in mind when choosing your army guys. If you don't have painted models - start painting! If you don't have time, see if you can borrow some. I have wood elf, dwarf, and bretonnian models that I can lend out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I have by no means even started making a list so you can use my dwarfs to fill in what we need. I could bring two runesmiths and a unit of thirty slayers with all kinds of artillery support... I have four bolt throwers two organ guns one gyrocoptor one cannon one grudge thrower and thirty thunderers.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Here's the bretonnian army list, feel free to copy it if you want to play bretonnians:

Lord on warhorse
Paladin with battle standard on warhorse
14 knights errant with full command
6 knights of the realm
6 pegasus knights with full command
5 grail knights with full command

Short and sweet and it packs a big punch with that unit of 14 knights errant. Psychology is not an issue with the knights errant and grail knights and it moves quick. The unit of 14 knights errant has 5 ranks so enemy units will be hard pressed to be steadfast against them, especially after they do their killing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:34 am

with solid Armies on the defend i will enter with the Brets

General
Lord 260
Warhorse

Hero`s
Paladin (BSB) 110
Warhorse

Core
15 Knights Errant 341
7 Knights of the Realm 202

Special
4 Pegasus Knights 250

Rare
8 Grail Knights 334

i have 13 painted knights i can use for the on Knight`s Errant

Last edited by Pud on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 am

Well so far i think that we should do is have myself, Andre and Nathan start out on the field then have everyone else come on latter. This way we can coordinate our armies to maximize what we get out of our points (like the 2 dwarf armies sharing a bsb). With the large amount of gunnery supplied for us and the decent amount our three armies can bring we should be able to put a dent in whatever we need to. I think I will bring a caster just so we don't miss out on our first magic phase all together.

After the first turn is over our lizard reinforcements will show up along with everyone else (i think anyway). So we will have 2 wood elves, 1 lizard, 1 high elf and 2 brets. These blocks should in my estimation should compose of combat units and some magic support.

With the list's we have thus far its looking good, as for the direction the high elf's should go i think we could use some solid blocks of infantry coming to the aid. I would almost like to see a good size unit of saurus warriors and some stegadons to help pack some punch that's about all i can think up right now. I don't know much about any kind of elves so any strategies that could come in handy would be great. Same thing with brets. I don't know to mush about them.

Keep the ideas rolling!!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 am

Since Darren's bret list is pretty much the same as the one I came up with I think I'll go with the dwarfs.

Darren, I'd leave your general on a barded warhorse and put him in the unit of knights errant or grail knights, you've left space for him in any of your three units so you might as well use it. I've got some ideas for sweet magical items that I'll pm you with. I have 8 painted grail knights, 4 painted pegasus knights and a bunch of painted knights of the realm that you can use.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 am

So I have a bit of change to my idea on an army list.

Lord:
Slaan

Hero's:
Skink Priest
-Engine of the Gods
Core:
Skinks x16, Kroxigorx2

Skinks x16, Kroxigorx2

Special:
Temple Guardx20, Full Command

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 am

Freezingoon wrote:So I have a bit of change to my idea on an army list.

Lord:
Slaan

Hero's:
Skink Priest
-Engine of the Gods
Core:
Skinks x16, Kroxigorx2

Skinks x16, Kroxigorx2

Special:
Temple Guardx20, Full Command

will you be able to fit in an EOTG with only 1500 pts, remember you only have 375 pts you can spend on heros. if you could fit in a caster on an EOTG i would take that over the slann. I think a slann may be a huge points sink for only 1500 pts

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 am

He should be able to fit it, a level 1 skink priest with the engine of the gods and 20 points of magic items is 375 exactly.
I like the idea of a slann as well, mega-battle armies should not be balanced armies. They should load up on things so that the alliance as a whole is balanced.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm just trying to think of how I can save other people on points and I think the slaan could free up alot of points that other people would spend on magic and anti magic. The slaan basic is a lore master of any lore( Im thinking Lore of Metal for this list) so that 7 spells and fairly affordable. Upgraded he adds a power dice to every casting he makes so he could pump out alot of low cast value spells on a relatively low number of dice, and if I max out points on my lord with him he can nominate one enemy caster to ignore all their 6's in the magic phase, something I think could be invaluable for things like ethereal vampires exploding themselves into greater drakes or any other mage who would rely on irresistably casting to cause major damage. And best of all the Slaan makes the Temple Guard Stubborn and Ld9.

The EotG is really a support and close combat unit, giving friendlies a ward save against ranged attacks until he gets close enough to turn on the burning alignment. In terms of a mage the EotG has one spell and casts/dispels at level 2, and can only take spells from the lore of heavens.

I might be able to drop the TG to a minimum body gaurd unit to fit in another regular stegadon, but the TG are my painting project for the month and I'd really like to field them. I also quite a few Saurus cav though I never had much luck using them since 8th, shock cav that strikes simultaneously with skeletons just doesn't work for me anymore.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Ok, so magic and infantry is what is wanted of the HE here is what I am thinkin
I can field
24 Phoenix Guard plus a BSB
38 Spearelves, as archers and seaguard dont seem to be worth the points in this scenario
a reg chariot
an Archmage (can take any lore needed, I like life and metal)
5 Dragon Princes
Everything shy of 18 spearelves, and 2 steeds is painted awaiting basing. on That note does anyone have a horse from the new chariot kits that do not use/want open to purchase as I need it anyway.
I can field pretty much any HE unit so I am open to suggestions as to how to build the force

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:28 pm

With the way magic is shaking down (3d6 power/2 highest dispel, max 18 PER table) at least a lvl 4 per table would be ideal to use those dice. I am not sure how many tables there are however. We should make sure we can spread our magic across the tables if anything for the dispelling bonuses.

So far I think we have a Slann and a High Elf archmage for lvl 4s.

I asked Carson about the deployment rules for Drycha. She won't be required to be deployed at the beginning of the game, as she will come in with the rest of the good side on turn 2. A neat thing about Drycha is that instead of all 1500 pts coming on turn 2 from where ever we are coming from, the rest of her army can instead be called in like beastmen on a 4+. However; the reinforcements can instead come onto the board from any forest on the battlefield.

Here is the list I am planning to take:
(One problem, or not, is Drycha's hatred for outsiders restricts the army to only forest spirits)

Drycha

14 Dryads- Branchnymph
12 Dryads
12 Dryads

6 Treekin

Treeman

Drycha also is a lvl 2 wizard (athel loren), has 2 bound treesingings (and another from the treeman) and generates 2 extra dispel dice for the table that she is on.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Sorry, its not 18 possible dice per table but 18 max on the battlefield.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:02 am

I like that better actually. It gives both sides the chance to get some pretty major spells off but it doesn't let magic dominate.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 am

updated my army for the battle

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top