this ones good

View previous topic View next topic Go down

this ones good

Post  Rockn J on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19 pm

so I cast the spell from Lore of Beast "Transformation of Kadon". It progresses onto Dom's turn and then back to mine. My first damsel turn stupid in a fungi forest, (silly girls). and my other girl is a dragon.
no spells to cast.
Dom uses all his dispell dice to destroy my dragon back to a beutiful lady.
I still have 8 power dice pereviously usless to me, but now I do have a wizard available to cast and dice left in the phase. so after debate and a roll off I cast Transformation of Kadon and turn back into a dragon.
Doesnt seem entirly right but not all wrong either. What do you think?
Also seperate isue but same situation do wound left carry over or wounds done carry over?

Last edited by Rockn J on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell name)

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: this ones good

Post  Rockn J on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:24 pm

I guess wounds suffered is pretty clear.

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 am

Wouldn't Dom just dispel at the end of the phase so you couldn't cast?

Wounds carry over.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 am

That is correct when you say you are done casting, which you are then Don can dispell is he so choses then it ends the magic phase since you were already finished.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:20 am

In 7th edition there was a very specific order to the phase. In 8th you may dispell a remains in play at any time durring either players magic phase, not just when the playere is done casting. The restriction being not spells cast this turn.

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 am

Well then where does it end? There has to be a moment where you give up priority, or the phase technically never ends and you guys remain in a Mexican standoff. I apologise in advance to any Mexicans.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 am

Paragraph 1 on 5. next spell, it says "When casting player has finished all of his casting attempts, either because he has run out of power dice or has no remaining spells to cast the magic phase ends, and the shooting phase begins." So as I see this the magic phase ends as soon as it begins, so no dispells and no casting.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:33 am

I'm not going to edit my reply, I'll start this one.

I wan't to be very careful when I say this, but this seems to be another example of any individual trying "steer" the rules one way or another to gain benefit, instead of just trying to play the game. I know rules as intended can be a very grey area, but I also know, for a fact, that everyone I game with knows in their heart of hearts how things should be done for the common good. Isn't it weird how vocal we can all be about a specific ruling, only to change our view 180 degrees when it's us staring down the barrel of a gun?

I find it silly that this even came to a dice off as, common sense would tell you that doing it "X" way will only lead to arguements and hurt feelings, while doing it "Y" way gets the game to continue and is the fair way to do it, and certainly in the spirit of the game. It's tough playing games, where one person reads one sentence in the middle of one paragraph, and those words turn to BOLD in his mind. Warhammer can't, and never will have an iron clad set of rules that will avoid debate. It's up to us, as a group how things were meant to be played in the spirit of playing a game. Heck, having said all that we're all guilty of being friendly turns 1 and 2 when things just get rolling, but by turn 5, when the chips are down things can get competitive. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but when deciding on a ruling we should all put ourselves in the other fellows shoes and ask what would I feel like if it was me?

By the way: BRB pg.36; second paragraph under REMAINS IN PLAY SPELLS

"If they are not dispelled immediately when they are cast, remains in play spells can be dispelled at any point during a subsequent Magic phase, using dispel dice as normal, or dice from the power pool as if they were dispel dice if it is your turn."

You: At which point would you like to dispel as I'd like to cast Giant creature spell?
Me: At the end.
You: Oh. Embarassed (We high five and the game carries on. Very Happy )

We could actually make a Warhammer, public annoucement commercial! cheers

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't think anyone got hurt feelings in our game. ( the Dragon took a canon ball and then dispelled next phase into paste so had a fantastic finish) I think a dice off is pretty reasonable to keep things flowing and realy appriciate working things out right here. I think espesialy in the begining stages of the 8th rules is not wrong to play a bit and decide how these things look either or how the rules changed.
I am completely open to see what all the guys think and happy to create a friendly discusion. Smile

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:28 pm

I can appreciate that and think it's pretty cool that you are willing to hear opinions even if they don't side with you.

Here's what you wrote:
no spells to cast.
Dom uses all his dispell dice to destroy my dragon back to a beutiful lady.
I still have 8 power dice pereviously usless to me, but now I do have a wizard available to cast and dice left in the phase.

You couldn't have used those 8 dice as the phase was over. You stated that you had no spells to cast. So, Dom did the right thing and at the end of the phase dispelled your big nasty creature. You didn't even have access to those dice as the phase was finished as soon as Dom stopped dispelling. You took advantage of that poor boy, and a dice off was unnecessary and actually against the rules as it gave you a 50% advantage that you couldn't have received. For all we know, Dom could be suffering from depression right now! lol!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:36 pm

And for that I am sorry. We were both suffering the early stages of Beerhammer so our wits and our feelings were both equally dulled. drunken

Last edited by Rockn J on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:01 pm

That's the great thing about Warhammer. There's always a new/old rule that people have forgotten, or didn't even know about that we get to debate!

This darn game is gonna' kill us..... Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

The problem is it is bad sportsman ship to say ok I am done casting. This means that if you want to cast a spell again after that it is to late. The reason they want yuo to say you have no further spells to cast is to end your magic phase. So please remeber that when you are done you are done(Sorry Paul). If things change it is too late. It is a game that is to build friendships not ruin them.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:59 pm

I agree. I will play it the other way next time. Dom will be over again as soon as I restock my fridge I'm sure.

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 pm

The dice off was a bad idea........I would of just went with a ball punch. Much more effective I figure.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:11 am

you know its good to clear things up but in our game (the watch tower ) it really didn't matter much. however it was great seeing my cannon crew stand up to charge from a great fire dragon. i would say more things that really sood out in our game were my lord running away for 2 turns and then rolling 3 1s when he wanted to charge, not a good day for my characters, but im sure jermey did not like seeing 8/9 knights vanish in a round of shooting

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 am

Yeah, that's Warhammer alright. I think that Dom and Andre were raised right and their MOM should get credit as these are two guys that show up to play and love the fluff/rules of the game.

Always welcome around my neck of the woods.

Although Andre, what happened with that disappearing act when we were playing at Dom's house last weekend? Your Dwarfs owe us all an apology and must face us on the field of battle! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top