LOS question: what do you think

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LOS question: what do you think

Post  Kuyp on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 pm

after my screaming skull catapult fell apart the other day and i got to looking at it and I noticed that the thing is huge standing beside the skeleton crew and i got to thinking about its line of sight.

the rules in the book says "for one model to have line of sight to another you must be able to trace an unblocked line from its eyes to any part of the body (i.e. the head, torso, arms, or legs) of the target". Then in the war machine part it says " line of sight is always taken from the chosen firing point(i.e. its muzzle or crossbar, in the same way as its range)..."

now what I'm wondering is if i had a catapult (that is taller than a skeleton) placed behind a unit of warriors and wanted to fire at something on the other side of the board would i
A) get to fire normally or
B) have to use the indirect mode of fire for catapults

further more would other units only have to draw LOS to the crossbar of the machine to be able to see it? or do they have to see the bulk of the "body" or even the crew itself

what do you guys think on this, i know there are a few armies out there that have particularly large war machines (a hell canon comes to mind)

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LOS question: what do you think

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:58 pm

If the book says LoS is from the crossbar, then that's where you line the shot from. But it also means that the catapult is easily seen as the crew are not even considered when it comes to a warmachine. Works both ways I guess.

So, if said catapult was behind a unit of skellies, I personally would not expect you to use the indirect fire rule.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm

I don't know, The way I would work it is if your the same size of model and behind a unit on the same height level use indirect. Its the crew thats firing not the catapult

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Actually the crew is not used at all. The crew models are for aesthetic purposes only and have no bearing other than to show wounds. They don't even rush out to defend the Warmachine anymore. When you charge, you actually rank up to the machine. They can't even block line of sight.

It would seem that Brett's and Tomb Kings could take advantage of this rule. Conversely, it would make them easier targets for Cannons and such.

I really think this isn't such an issue at all considering how often it would come up and I would not argue this in a game.

Me 2 pennies.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 pm

that's why i was wondering, cause it would make sense for the crews line of sight to be used because they are the ones firing, so they could use the indirect fire and be hidden from view of other missile units and what not, however with the different size's of war machines it would be seem stupid that if you were trying to shoot at say a hell cannon that's massive you would have to see the the short little F*****'s crewing it.

i can see it coming up in a few ways like if you had a bolt thrower and wanted to shoot said hiding catapult can you even see it or is it just considered to be in hard cover because it is obscured by the skeletons?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:27 am

It says to use the crossbar. The crossbar is way above everything else.

I don't see anything that requires much discussion here.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Except that we like discussing it, so we are.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Well yeah. But it is just so simply answered by the ne rules. Under 7th there would be hemming and hawing, but in 8th it sees what it sees, and it will see most everything.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:57 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top