Banner of Discipline

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Banner of Discipline

Post  Freezingoon on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I was wondering ruling is on the banner that raises the units Ld by one but doesn't allow them to use their Generals Inspiring Presence rule. I was thinking of taking the banner on my Slaan because a unit with Ld 10 stubborn cold blooded and the BSB just seems mean as I type it....nevermind. Can the Temple Guard use the Ld 10 from the Slaan or would they have to make due with their boosted Ld 9 in such a situation.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Banner of Discipline

Post  TheWade on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm

The way I read it is the sneakiest way to use it is to put your general in the unit for the +1 leadership that then extends to everyone else. The standard states the unit cannot use the general's Inspiring Presence right? Well, the Inspiring Presence rule is the one that effects units within his Leadership bubble, not the unit that he is in. Therefore, it's a great way to get the +1 on your general with no real negatives.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:21 pm

That's the way I see it, but in the Beastmen FAQ there is a unit that cannot use the generals leadership and so the wording for the 8th ed rule is that they cannot use their general's Inspiring Presence unless he is in the unit with them and the way I read that says that when a generals leadership stat is conveyed to other units it is always Inspiring Presence.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 am

Wade is correct. Cheesy Wade is always correct when there is a chance to abuse a rule. Wink Kazaam!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am

You know, after thinking about this I'm starting to think it might be the opposite of how I thought it would work. According to the banner's rules any model affected by it gets +1 Leadership but is not allowed to use the General's Inspiring Presence rule. Well, isn't the general using that rule to broadcast his leadership? And therefore would certainly get leadership +1 but it would only affect him and his unit. That almost seems to make more sense.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 am

Its a tricky one for sure. I think the intention for the banner is to have it on a unit that operates by itself on the flank, like a big unit of cavalry or infantry to keep it from running without requiring the support of a general or BSB. I think that the way you guys are trying to interpret it is bending the rules a bit so be careful.

That said, if that's the way we want to play it then I'll go with it too, I just want it to be consistant.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 am

That's what I thought you meant in the first place was that it only affects the unit he's in. Leadership 10 Bestigors with steadfast would be a cool unit.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Ah well it was a sneaky thought, that nice Terror banner for the same price of the lizardmen fear banner does call to me though.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm

http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=20820

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:00 pm

the way i see it would be like so. your slann (LD9) joins a unit of temple guard (LD8) and they have the banner giving the slann LD10 and the unit LD9. the unit itself is not allowed to use the generals LD so they would get to test on a LD of nine , however the general is still allowed to spread his Inspiring Presence to other units thus all others would get to use his LD 10.

That's the way i read it anyway Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top