Legendary Battle Masters round 3

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Legendary Battle Masters round 3

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:58 pm

in the past evil has never followed a plan much less had one.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:09 pm

in the past evil has never followed a plan much less had one.

Well that settles it. I've been evil for years!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Ironwoulf wrote:with multiple people per side on each table a few more dice gives a better chance of most person being able to take part in the magic phase

With a maximum of 12 dice per table, that's still plenty for everyone.

And if you are going with the 3d6/best 2 of the 3, what are you setting the new cap to instead of 12?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Wow, you mean people actually have plans when they play this game. Maybe I should start doing that.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Probably 18?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 pm

nathanr wrote:Probably 18?

18 sounds good

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Me thinks Bob and myself got our wires crossed, I was thinking of 18 max on the battlefield, not per table.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noidomoro on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:59 am

Hey Guys.. It's Paul here... I'm just confirming that yes.. I'm running amuk with my woodies.. and I've got no clue as too how to win. Not a wild rider too be found.

anywho... I'm lookin' forward to seeing how all this plays out on the 30th.

Paul

Noidomoro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 am

Criminy, that took you long enough to post! tongue

Well, better late than never!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noidomoro on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am

Yeah yeah... nag nag....

I get more than enough of that at home...

I make one post here and squalie turns into my wife???? WTH????

So now that I've joined team good and we are going to lose to evil because of sportsmanship.... I'll ask our teams fearless leader what would you like me too bring???

I've got 3 battalion boxes of woodies just waiting too be used.. plus... 10 waywatchers... 20 wardancers.... and 20 eternal guard... and a treeman

Lemme know whatcha want and I"ll try and accomodate yah.

Paul

Noidomoro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:08 am

Carson wrote: Me thinks Bob and myself got our wires crossed, I was thinking of 18 max on the battlefield, not per table.

My bad, I apologize to everyone. When your hopped up on morphine derivatives with your leg swathed in bandages your concentration is a bit impaired.

cap at 18 dice total for battlefield it will be.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:15 pm

If that's the case then I would really prefer to just follow the rules on a 'per table' basis. I mean we have already limited spells and casting to each table, so why not dice and then just leave it by the rulebook rules? Saves meddling.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:If that's the case then I would really prefer to just follow the rules on a 'per table' basis. I mean we have already limited spells and casting to each table, so why not dice and then just leave it by the rulebook rules? Saves meddling.

I like that idea.

Are we aloud to know how many tables there will be?

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Adding a d6 to the magic phase is there because of the increased number of players on each table. The exact number of tables has not been set yet until sign-ups are over. Right now were looking at 4 tables in a type of T formation. Bob and myself are going to test it out asap to know wether it works or not, ie movement, ranges etc.

No sportsmanship on the 30th Paul cheers

Masters Points are win/lose and Secret objective's. There is going to be alot of masters points up for grab!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Eric's Ogres defeated the Daemon's, so all hail your new general -- Malfoy (Eric) Lord of all evil generals!!! I'd like to state that since we now have a changing of administration, we will no longer be having the evil party I planned with all the strippers and free drinks and food. Tis a shame since I was going to have it catered and have since phoned AC/DC to tell them their services will no longer be needed.

Thanks Eric. Thanks a lot.

If you have any tactical questions, please forward them to your new master as I'll be too busy eating 60 pounds of ribs and wings, drinking imported beer and "talking" with Sheila and Lisa. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:18 pm

So, I wonder, will there be any other Usurpers for the Evil General. Anybody wish to nominate themselves for the spot?

Its really weird.....of all the mega battles events I've been a part of, the evil side does nothing but pick itself apart beforehand while the good side usually works away at army lists and tactic's.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 am

Things will be different with me in charge.

Oh, and let's not have the tables in a "T" formation. It will keep too many players out of the battle effectively.

I would rather have them just lined up end to end for sure.

Also, I really still fail to see how magic will work on a per-battlefield basis. How will we organize channelling, extra dice from Warrior Priests, etc?

Could we please just do the regular 2d6 power/1d6 dispel on a per table basis? It just makes it so much easier to estimate the effectiveness of everything.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 pm

If you go with 2d6 per table you are working with a potential 36 power dice per turn. I don't like that and it makes magic way too powerful. I think Carson and Bob have it worked out pretty well. I think Carson said that dice gained from channeling could only be used on the table that the channeling wizard is on and the same would go for power/dispel dice gained from magic items (Sorry if you didn't say that Carson, I may have imagined it). I don't think that 3d6 is all that complicated really, it is basically just a scaled up version of the rules in the book.

As for the tables, I think serious thought needs to go into how to make it so that people don't get stranded out in the middle of nowhere with nobody to fight. How the tables are arranged can help to a degree but thought also needs to go into deployment as well. I don't know how much you want to give away Carson and Bob, but a diagram of what to expect the table to look like would go a long way toward speeding up deployment (which can be a nightmare in mega-battles) and also help the teams to come up with plans to ensure that everyone's units are placed in areas where they will see action.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm

36 dice, across 8 to 10 armies. That doesn't seem out of hand to me at all. Especially since we have already limited spell effects to single tables.

18 dice across the battlefield will basically mean magic is a non-factor (outside of Teclis/Power Scrolls).

With 10 players, 18 dice means that each player gets less than 2 dice per magic phase. Sure, that's fine if you have a bunch of Slanns slinging Death magic, but it will be pretty darn boring for the rest of us.

We're going by the book for everything else. It only makes sense to go by the book for this. If we do go by the book and just cap everything at a per table basis you will still have 3000-4500 points of army per side PER TABLE fighting over who gets to use those 12 dice.

That significantly less dice per point than we use in our 2500 point games, so I don't see what the problem is.

I have played a lot of 8th edition games, and even 12 dice doesn't go that far against a handful of dispel dice in a 2500 point game. With more channelling, more points and more Wizards, it will do even less.

18 dice per battlefield won't even make an impact outside of irresistible force.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

I am in agreement with Eric on this one, 3D6 for the whole battlefield is really slim pickings and would make anything other then a Lvl 1 completely redundant as anything more would be a waste of points. not that I am pushing to be able to roll a lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2 in my High Elf army, I just want to make sure it is worth the points to field anything in the magic phase, or if it is just gonna be a write off.

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Here's the thing though, 18 dice is enough to get spells off. Especially with all the magic items that boost magical power and add power dice. The big spells are going to be even more devastating too because we have 20 armies packed onto 3 tables. 18 dice is enough to have one big spell per table which is probably all that we want isn't it? Also, if there are 36 power dice hanging around each magic phase it will take forever. Also, how much fun are you going to have at this mega-battle when turn 1 your main unit gets wiped out by a major spell? I think that is what Carson and Bob had in mind when they capped it at 18.

Regardless of which way it goes I think we need to leave this one for Carson and Bob to decide. In the end they are the event organizers and they are the ones that are going to be ensuring that the game runs smoothly. We are just there to have fun and play a game.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:38 pm

If we do it by each table, then each table does their own magic phase, so they'd be done in the regular amount of time. The dice aren't going to be pooled. Each table gets their own dice, and uses them up as quick as can be. Usually in 2 or 3 spell attempts. Because each table is isolated, each table can be doing their magic phases all at the same time. Doing 18 dice on the whole battlefield will actually bog things down more because you'll have to get all the players together, try and allocate which dice go where, come to an agreement and divide them up.

And I don't think that 18 dice will be enough to even get off a single big spell per table. Not when the other side is almost certainly packing 18 dispel dice + scrolls + bonuses to dispel + etc.

I would like a normal magic phase. If 3 or more armies have to share 12 dice, then so be it. If 10 armies have to share 18 it's ridiculous.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b.kevinsen on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Like you said Fun is the name of the game, I am going in and if any of my units make it out then it is a moral victory for me. Losing a whole unit to a spell or a template attack is a clear and present risk with the 8th, I have lost over a 3rd of my troops in one magic/shooting phase, I have also whiffed all my attacks on the charge in the next turn, lost combat, failed my leadership test on a 9, ran 2" got caught and lost a 600+ point unit (hero + troops), it happens, it sucks, life goes on.
I guess like you said up to Carson and Bob, either way as long as it is clear and mentioned in advance so armies can be built/painted accordingly then their is no real problem.

b.kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm

You are thinking in terms of every army packing a level 4 wizard. If that is the case then no there will never be enough dice. Even 36 wouldn't be enough but that kind of game would suck.

There are enough magical items and abilities that give power dice and boost casting levels that you should be able to get spells off regardless of how many power/dispel dice there are.

We are all friends here and I know you like to argue Eric but I don't think we really need to discuss this anymore. You've made your case and I think at this point it is up to Carson and Bob to decide if they want to change how they are going to deal with the magic phase.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:42 pm

I have another person who is kinda interested in learning the game, so we have another player for the side of good, playing ogers!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top