Dwarfs in 8th edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dwarfs in 8th edition

Post  nathanr on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I think I'm going to be taking dwarfs in this next league and I think they have benefitted greatly from the new rules. Here is what I have in mind assuming 2500 points:

Lord on shieldbearers
Runelord (not with anvil)
Standard Bearer Thane

Core:
20-30 longbeards with great weapons
2 units of 10 thunderers with full command and the champions switch their handgun for pistols (I'll explain that after)

Special:
20 hammerers
20 ironbreakers
4 bolt throwers with engineers (In some games I might substitute a cannon or grudgethrower instead)

Rare:
Organ gun
Flame Cannon and/or gyrocopter and/or maybe a second organ gun.

There is enough shooting that my enemy will probably be forced to come to me, my infantry hits like a ton of bricks with at least 10 great weapon attacks every turn and often they will be stubborn (or steadfast). I've got decent anti-magic with the runelord as well as good combat characters and my war machines should be good enough to take out or at least soften up any big stuff before it gets to me.

I put braces of pistols on the thunderer champions because of the new stand and shoot rules. The unit shoots when the charging unit gets into range of the shortest-ranged weapon in the unit. With the champion shooting with a brace of pistols that means the rest of the unit gets to shoot at close range instead of long range which means they will hit on 4+ instead of 5+.

One other fun unit I thought of is a unit of 30-40 longbeard rangers with throwing axes. Deployed in a horde they get 20 stand-and shoot S5 throwing axes and then 30 WS5 S6 attacks. The unit costs a lot but it would do some damage.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dwarfs in 8th edition

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:59 pm

I played Mark's Dwarfs the other night. I won, but that is irrelevant as it was his first 8th game and his units certainly weren't optimised for that.

The Quarrallers with great weapons very very effective for him and the Grudgethrower was GROSS! The large template doing strength 5, no partials was crazy good and I was told he was going right out to buy another. I was scooping hand fulls of Daemons from that thing.

the Bolt throwers were ok, but nothing like the thrower. The Organ gun is alive and well in 8th.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

The Quarrallers with great weapons very very effective for him and the Grudgethrower was GROSS! The large template doing strength 5, no partials was crazy good and I was told he was going right out to buy another. I was scooping hand fulls of Daemons from that thing.

i thought it was stenghth 3

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:19 pm

It is strength 3, but you can put Runes on it to make it st 4-5 and even double them up. Dwarfs are going to be obnoxious -- which they should be! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 pm

I am going to be updating my Dwarves for 8th. What works for you Dwarf players? quarrllers vs gunners, longbeards vs hammerers, horde vs steadfast ranks, slayers? Runesmiths and runelords - are they points cost effective with the new magic?

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 am

I thought a person needed a unit of warriors for every longbeard unit or something like that.

Or did they change that in 8th?

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 am

army book takes precidence, longbeards cannot outnumber warrior units.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:11 pm

You can have 1 unit of longbeards more than warriors if you have a dwarf lord as your general. Also longbeard rangers don't count against the ratio so technically you can have 2 units of longbeards before you need a warrior unit. You could also toss in Bugman's rangers to get a third unit.

As for other choices, I'm not sure. Infantry and artillery have become better in 8th so I don't think there are many bad choices for the dwarfs. I have yet to play a game with them in 8th edition but I think they should be a competitive force however you decide to build them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  servantes on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm

I also thought Stone Throwers used a 3" template - not the 5" ... or is there a rune that increases the size?

servantes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:06 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top