8th Edition questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8th Edition questions

Post  Ironwoulf on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm

some clarification on a couple of points

1. can you get an extra attack for frenzy and for an extra hand weapon or just 1 attack regardless of how many reasons you have.
2. weapons options - black guard come with halbards sothey must use them, chaos warriors can have halbards as an opyion so they can use either hand weapon or halbard
is this correct?
3. flyers suck ass

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th Edition questions

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:32 pm

1. - You get the extra attack for the extra weapon and then you're crazy enough to swing again with it so the attacks stack.
2. - Correct. The rule book assumes that everything comes with a 'hand weapon', if for some strange reason their usual weapon is destroyed. Any weapon chose at the start of combat has to be used for the whole combat.
3. - Why would you say that? I have a BloodThirster that thinks otherwise -- just ask Carson! Laughing

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:59 pm

2. I'm not sure I agree - or I understand you question differently than Don did... Page 89, Special Weapons - Close Combat Weapons "If a model carries a special close combat weapon, he must fight with it in the close combat pahse - he cannot elect to wield his hand weapon instead" so if you choose to give them halbeards when you make your list, they MUST use them (unless, as Don meantions, they are somehow destroyed).

The option is available at build time, not as you rush headlong into combat... This has changed in 8th, there is no longer a weapon choice to be made at the start of close combat...

yes?

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 am

David's right, if equipped with a special close combat weapon, you have to use that weapon. You cannot opt to use 'hand weapon'.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 am

Correction: Skirmishers suck ass. Worst change in 8th. Flyers just get some of the carry-over suckage since they use some of the skirmisher's rules. I'm still going to take a mostly skirmishing wood elf army to the tournament though, just to see how bad they suck.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure they deliberately ruled up skirmishers and flyers as they were the target of alot of gripes in 7th edition. I actually think they got it right now as they were both way over powered in 7th.

I know its fantasy but skirmishers should never be able to take on ranked blocks with the chance of actually breaking them. Plus, 360 charge arcs were way to powerful.

Bloodthirsters can suck my balls! affraid

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 pm

To add to the special weapons thread; you get to choose what weapon to use at the beginning of combat if you have two different special weapons. For example chaos warriors can buy extra hand weapons, halberds, great weapons, and can have all 3 if they wish.

Flyers arent as powerful now, especially large flying things.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 pm

this has me stumped....but I believe that chaos warriors must be "bought" with a special weapon if desired and then played with that weapon. ie they can't switch out.......according to 8th.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:46 pm

If they have more than 1 special weapon they can choose.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:25 am

Carson wrote:this has me stumped....but I believe that chaos warriors must be "bought" with a special weapon if desired and then played with that weapon. ie they can't switch out.......according to 8th.

I thought this was confusing at first too, but this makes it pretty clear:

Page 89:
Two Special Close Combat Weapons
"If the models in a unit carry two. special close combat weapons, they must choose which of the weapons to use at the start of the first round of a close combat..."

And the next paragraph says:
"A model can't, however, wield a brace of pistols or additional hand weapon alongside another type of special weapon"

Which makes it clear to me that a second hand weapon is considered a type of special weapon... Only hand weapon and hand weapon and shield are off limits if you have (by default or paid for) any other choice.

Last edited by epengr on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:46 am

Carson wrote:this has me stumped....but I believe that chaos warriors must be "bought" with a special weapon if desired and then played with that weapon. ie they can't switch out.......according to 8th.

No they must buy at least one option; one of those options is a shield.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Carson wrote:I'm pretty sure they deliberately ruled up skirmishers and flyers as they were the target of alot of gripes in 7th edition. I actually think they got it right now as they were both way over powered in 7th.

I know its fantasy but skirmishers should never be able to take on ranked blocks with the chance of actually breaking them. Plus, 360 charge arcs were way to powerful.

Bloodthirsters can suck my balls! affraid

Didn't know Bloodthirsters are gay. I guess thats why they call it fantasy.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:24 pm

I played my first game of 8th edition, wood elves vs bretonnians. I took the list that I'll be taking to the tournament and I was pleasantly surprised with how it performed. Dryads were decent, treeman and treekin rock, glade guard shooting in two ranks are great, treesing still works well, especially against cavalry and I dare you to try to shoot at waywatchers in hard cover! My underwhelming unit of the game was my wardancers which was too bad because they were one of my favorite units in 7th. Hopefully they'll do better in the tournament but I don't expect big things from them.

I've got a good idea as to what I want my wood elf army to look like now which is great. I think people are putting a lot of emphasis on the new rules like steadfast, stepping up and horde right now, maybe more than they need to. People right now are saying that the Wood Elves have no chance under the new rules but I think Wood Elves just need to be a bit more careful with what they do. We can still play the tricky abandoned flank/points denial army that we always have but now we just have to be smarter about it.

The game ended in a draw and featured an epic challenge between the bretonnian King Louen Leoncoeur vs my Highborn (which I won).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Good stuff Nathan. I never put to much stock in what the onliners say about "weak" armies. I think the Wood Elves will play differently ( just like every other army will) but be pretty good aswell.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top