8th edition first games

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8th edition first games

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 am

So this last Saturday Don made his way out to my place and we played a couple of 8th ed. 2500pt games.

Wow, the new system is awesome, period. In our first game Don brought out a mixed deamon list and I played my beloved Empire. Under 7th rules the Empire is hard pressed to even make a fight out of it but man 8th is a whole new game.

Movement plays out pretty much the same as before although quick reforms allow units to get back into the action quite effectively where as before they could be stranded from the game. Terrain rules are quite good although we ignored the "mysterious terrain" rules. This will probably be the way it will run in most tournaments IMHO.
Magic was a breath of fresh air. Even lowly level 1 and 2 casters are effective for both casting and dispelling. The way power dice are generated ensures that no player is overly dominating a magic phase. We both found spells to be quite useful but not over the top. No longer will the all Tzeentch magic list be broken as before.
Combat came very quick and very brutual although with the new system most units don't break from combat but fight it out to the end....how cool is that. ****a few highlights**** Don charged his bloodletter block with herald into a horde block of 50 halberdiers. Now we all know what the result would be under 7th. Not only did the halberdiers stick around for the combat but ended up butchering the bloodletters to the model. Nothing is safe in combat because of the stepping up rule.....it really takes a different mind set to play and get used to. Infantry will really dominate this version.
Shooting was very effeective for the Empire, but as in previous versions it won't win the game. With randomn charge distances units will be in combat alot sooner than before. We had general combat by turn2!

All in all 2 thumbs up for me. I'm really excited about 8th and the fun that will come from playing.

Oh, forgot to mention the results. 194pt difference for Don in game 1. Game 2 I brought out the warriors and I was tabled by Don's Bloodthirster.......its still the same old Bloodthirster Sad

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th edition first games

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 am

I think that I'll have to break out the dwarfs for the next league, I could never really get the army to work for me in 7th edition but I think that 8th will change everything. I especially like the fact that they have the potential to charge 15 inches!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Actually the tzeentch daemon list is even more retarded when it comes to magic simply because lords or change know all the spells so dont need the level upgrade, and the heralds can do the same thing for 25pts. Also the lore of T has a spell to generate more dice.
This is however an enigma in the system. I do like the new magic system over all. It seems to put alot more emphasys on taking multiple wizards though.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:01 pm

It seems to put alot more emphasys on taking multiple wizards though.

I don't feel that's the case. In 7th, you had to 'bring' a lot of dispel dice to compete, or have a lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2's to have a huge magic phase. In 8th, a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 is mucho PLENTY.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Multiple Wizards don't get you anything except more variety.

Having a Level 4 and 3 level 2's or even 2 level 4's and 5 level 2's is functionally not much different from a single level 4.

Hell, you could have a fully effective magic phase with a couple bound spells.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top