8th FAQ now up!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8th FAQ now up!

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:56 am

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=1&aId=3000006&start=2

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th FAQ now up!

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:27 am

Nothing really ground-breaking for my armies but the wood elves did get something I've always wanted - Wild Rider kindred characters can now take the helm of the hunt. Not a huge thing but something I've always wanted since the item just screams "wild rider".

The one "oops" that I saw was in the dwarf FAQ. An engineer with a cannon makes it do d6 wounds, unfortunately the cannon already does d6 wounds now!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Some crazy new changes in the new book. Its kinda silly though how the entire high elf army has always strike first essentially giving them eternal hatred against most units now.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 pm

yes but asf is cancelled out by the use of the great weapon so they will be striking in iniative order.

Also, High elves are not exempt from army build rules.......no 2 minimum units of archers Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:09 pm

yes but asf is cancelled out by the use of the great weapon so they will be striking in iniative order.

Also, High elves are not exempt from army build rules.......no 2 minimum units of archers

Hours after the FAQ's went up the High elf one changed to include the "Elite army" rule that allows you to take more than 2 choices of any rare or special. They still need 25% core. *Goes off to start gluing Spearmen*

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:11 am

In the high elf FAQ it says that they still get ASF even with great weapons because of the wording in the army book.

I think with the volley rule for bows that seaguard might become a more common unit in a lot of High Elf armies. You can leave them ranked up and still get a bunch of shots.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Lizardmen:
"Page 53 Kroxigors, Great Reach
Ignore this special rule."

So now only one attack for the Krox's in the second rank? Booo.

I guess that can't be targeted for attack either, but still. Booo.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Kroxigor are probably listed as monstrous infantry and so they probably make their full number of attacks, not sure about not being able to hit them though.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:46 pm

I flipped through 8th this afternoon. Really impressed with most of the changes I noticed. It does inspire me to re-do my OnG as so may of the rules make viable the things I wanted to play in an all goblin horde. Steadfast, horde, the ability to take lots of low cost characters and multiple lords. Real cool for that army. Nifty!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Ogres sure took in the teeth though. Hard to rank up those bastards, unless I take 400 gnoblars....

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Really? I'm totally ignorant of the ways of the Ogre Kingdoms, but since they're monsterous infantry (like my Kroxigor, thanks Zack), don't they rank up in 3's and get all three attacks from the second rank?

A 3x2 unit with 18 attacks seems pretty sweet...

Feel free to educate me Wink

GeoffKlassen wrote:Ogres sure took in the teeth though. Hard to rank up those bastards, unless I take 400 gnoblars....

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:56 pm

There are a couple of really silly things I noticed in the rules:

1) If your character is on a 25mm base or cav base in a 20 mm unit, he doesnt add to the numbers in the unit to increase the rank bonus.

2) If you charge a fear causing unit, you become overcome by fear when you are already engaged with them rather than not charge them.

Otherwise it is an interesting edition. Game play has changed across the board; especially causing us to get a battle standard bearer done up for every occasion!

Oh and dont forget your dragons!

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I prefer both of those rules. The base size thing helps keep some of the silly stuff at bay. You CAN put an orc in a goblin unit, but why bother? That sort fo thing.

The fear deal I like. I wonder if you have a miagic item that causes fear on the unit or bearer if you need to disclose that now?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm

I like what they did with the rules big time. Played my first couple of 8th ed. games against Don this weekend.....great fun. Fear is awesome now....no auto breaks just ws1, characters on different size bases is now carlified with no room for questions.

Ogres are now a totally viable army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 pm

I can't see Ogres off that bad at all. I've played about 7 games so far and I think you'll like your Ogres just fine Geoff. Just speaking about the rules in general.

Carson and I played a few games on the weekend. I'll let Carson fill you in on the details Wink , but I love 8th edition. Almost everything. The only 2 things I don't like are the overdone terrain rules where every House, Tower, Hill, Forest, River, Belt-buckle and blade of grass has an effect on a unit within' 6 inches -- and the parry rule. They describe the parry rule in the book as a 6+ WARD save, where every now and then a warrior can deflect an otherwise lethal blow and avoid certain death. They write it as something rare and heroic, but it's going to happen 17% OF THE TIME! ON CHUMPS! Absolutely annoying. Maybe this is just Karma as I play Daemons. Very Happy

Love the magic phase. People have been writing it as explosive, but the games I've played the miscasts don't quite match the hyperbole of the posts you read. I played against Eric and his lvl 4 miscast twice and nothing really happened at all. Could have, but didn't.

I was saying to Carson that I might just put my Daemons on strips, like you'd see with Skaven and O&G as after combat you take off that many figs!! It's awesome the amount of dice you get to roll, as it really feels like a hack-and-slash epic movie battle. Movement is waaaaay better as gone are the days of a unit being stranded because it pursued and then gets left in the corner of the table for 2 turns, turning around and 'shuffling' back into battle. You will see a musician in every unit possible and the importance of a BSB cannot even be explained. It's absolutely mandatory.

Any 7th ed. army builds you have saved on your computer -- just delete them. Those won't work anymore.

It's a weird feeling to read the new rule book and actually breath a sigh of relief. Crazy cool that I'm going to have even MORE fun with Warhammer!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 pm

The problem with ogres is that they have an init of 2, so they will generally be stricking last and can't break anything with ranks. The ogres will have to adapt by going 3 wide and 3 deep to get anywhere that is a very large unit. about 500 points for 1 core unit. The nice thing is they do get an impressive 10+9+3+3 or 25 attacks to hit you with. But a horde unit would have 31 attacks hard to beat. Fear nolonger has the same effect, and breaking a unit is tougher, unless you outrank some one they test as if they are stubborn. Never the less I will still try them out and see if I can get them rolling.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm

With the bigger point totals Geoff, I kinda think 500 points each for a couple uits might be okay. I think Ogres have come into their own. at the three by three ranks they get 3 S6 impact hits, and don't they get some kind fo monster stomp too?

The thing that might really help them is the hand weapon shield combo from using Iron fists defensively. A 6+ ward saver might help just enough?

Also the horde units won't be elite things, so I am hoping the T4 of Ogres would help them weather the storm of incoming attacks.

8th looks really interesting. I like the whole fear change. I also like that infantry get's to take the forefront in this game. Take that Bretonia, you bunch of fags!

I STILL can not bring myself to paint rank and file. I have to really, really try. I got a couple packs in the mail of super awesome non gaming mini's that might prove WAY too tough to resist. I put some goblins together, maybe I should work on Ogres for a bit. Hmmm....

But all in all 8th looks to me to be the greatest evolution of the game. I was really happy when 6th took the game from the state it was in for 4th/5th. I like what 8th did even more than that. Looking forward to the first 8th ed. army book. Anyone care to geuss? I saw some new Tomb king art in the book that featured living TK style troops vs. the undead counter parts. Maybe?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 pm

striking last is not even close to the detriment that is was in the last version. The stepping up rules nicely counters this. Where striking last will be a problem is in small elite units.......which also makes me happy!

And as Scott said, impact hits will almost always factor in now plus the stomp attack will also guarrentee a bump in combat res. Ogres will be in combat by turn 2 so enemy shooting will also be limited.

By the way...nothing looks cooler than huge blocks of infantry on the table.

Scott. play some 8th with the O&G you have.....your gonna fall in love with the game again!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah I've still got around 4000 points of OnG, so it's nice to have an army. I also found another 20sih unpainted Black orcs today. I got lot's and lots of unpainted OnG so I do hope to get fired up again.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 pm

I finally had an ephifany, GNOBLARS are useful now..... ALOT of gnoblars.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 pm

GeoffKlassen wrote:I finally had an ephifany, GNOBLARS are useful now..... ALOT of gnoblars.

i was thinking the same thing, but not having a copy of the new rules myself yet im not sure if you can use you generals leadership for stubborn now or not, you couldn't in 7th. stubborn on a five still isn't that great but hey it less than 100 points!!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I've seen nothing in the new rules to indicate table quarters are worth anything. Is this true?

And standards are only worth 25 points?

No 1/2 points for wounded characters or units?

Interesting. If I didn't miss something.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Kuyp wrote:i was thinking the same thing, but not having a copy of the new rules myself yet im not sure if you can use you generals leadership for stubborn now or not, you couldn't in 7th. stubborn on a five still isn't that great but hey it less than 100 points!!

The Stubborn rules just make a unit always Steadfast, and the Steadfast rule say:
Steadfast units can always take Break tests on their unmodified leadership (or the General's unmodified Leadership if the testing unit is in range of his Inspiring Presence special rule...

ScottRadom wrote:I've seen nothing in the new rules to indicate table quarters are worth anything. Is this true?

And standards are only worth 25 points?

No 1/2 points for wounded characters or units?

Interesting. If I didn't miss something.

Table quarters are worth nothing. Standards are only worth 25 points, but are given up really easily. To get victory points from a unit you have to destroy it completely or chase it off the table. Killing only part of a unit or only wounding a model will do nothing. Units fleeing at the end of the game are not worth anything.

Kill it dead or leave it alone. That said, it is remarkably easy to kill things dead now.

And I think the new terrain rules give players more than enough reason to fight over certain parts of the battlefield, without silly "last turn dashes" to score 100 more points. Of course the terrain rules are also totally over the top and a little too complicated, but I rather enjoy them and wouldn't like to ever play without them.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Hang on, the terrain rules where you enter a forest and roll to see if it's haunted or something, or those MANDATORY? Seems a little goofy.

I like all the other stuff. No more bookeeping on who did half points to this or that. My ideal system would see points not count at all for anything other than building the army (like Flames of War) as SOOO many silly play things get erased when you're not looking at boosting the score to win, but focusing on objectives.

I really like the loss of table quarters. It changes the way I would play a game. I thought in 6th-7th table quarter rallying was a BIG difference between a decent general and a good one. Lumping myself in with the good ones (of course!) I know many, many tourny games I won because the other guy wasn't looking at the 2-3 quarters they could secure/contest on turn 6. I'd even build units just for the purpose (as many of us locals did!) but most other regions didn't seem to pay attention to that.

Back on track...

Anyone tried any of the special scenarios yet? I like the look of mountain pass.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Do you mean one of the Regular Scenarios? There are 6 regular scenarios you can choose to play with your opponent, or roll a D6. I prefer rolling a D6 because then it forces the players to build an army capable of all the scenarios. I want my opponent to build his army with Blood and Glory in mind just as much as Battle for the Pass or The Watchtower.

Battle for the Pass is a regular scenario, and comes up on a 3 if you are rolling for it at the start of the game. I hope to only play the random D6 way. I played Don a game with this scenario and my Warriors of Chaos ground down his Daemons. Stubborn from two buildings that he put side by side really let me overcome the bigger Daemon units.

The Narrative Battles start on page 386, and are special and weird.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum