Unreasonable addiction.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unreasonable addiction.

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:27 pm

So in the process of collecting High Elves I have fallen into the ol' Matwe trap. Which is, I buy enough of everything so that I can make any combination of list possible. What do I mean? Well, I have over 50 each of Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters and White Lions just in case I want to make an army that has 3 Large units of White Lions or 2 huge blocks of Phoenix guard. Or maybe 3 solid units of Swordmasters!!

Then, realisation sets in and I actually look at the models on my shelf and it begins to sink in, "Will I ever REALLY paint all this?" and just as importantly, how often would I really play such lists? Themed lists are my favorite, but in the real world, a tourny, or even fun army would probably have one solid example of each unit at best. The thing is I don't really know how many to keep if I do get rid of some. Seriously, does a guy need 54 Swordmasters in the odd event I make a themed list that has 3 units of 18? A Chrace themed list would be cool, but again, 3 units of 18 and 3 Lion Chariots may be a little too much. I actually think that I might use 2 big units of Phoenix guard in 8th, but you all may feel differently, and then even if I do it's at the detriment of other cool units.

I need to reel it in a bit and understand I don't need 10,000 points of HE (or any other army for that matter) that I will never use. So help a brother out and give me your idea on what I would really need to run a few different lists.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreasonable addiction.

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm having the same problem with high elves, the difference between you and me is that you bought the models. I bought the book and am still trying to decide which models to buy.

I think that you should pick the special unit that you like best and keep all the models for them and then keep enough for one unit of each of the others, say 25 or so.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I think 2 large units of your choice is the way to go

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Oh good, now I'm back where I started with 2 large units of each model. *Phew*, so I was doing it right! Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Its to late for this Idea but you should probs make your list before you start collecting the army. Then just get thoes units that you have in your list. Once thats all painted and you still want thoes large units then go buy more of that unit. You could also get your list made then play what you have painted in smaller games that way if you think your list needs changing you havent bought all the models yet in your original list. Im the same way I have a closet full of stuff that has been sitting so long that they are getting dated. Like old metal figs that are getting replaced by nicer plastic figs of the same thing. Just try and grow your army when its ready dont go all out with buying stuff before anything is even painted. Once you get one unit painted reward yourself with buying something new. I hope that ramble helps

Dana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 am

Don I know exactly what you mean I have the same problem. I have every dwarf, and ogre units possible and two empire army boxes (they were too good a deal to pass up). About two days before a set of games I get a warhammer fever where I am constantly changing my list and strategy so I prefer to have lots of models and sorry guys but thats why I have so much unpainted.

This league I told myself to use only models with at least some color on them and have mostly settled with the core of my list (being Alrik Rey Enano with sheildbearers and his unit of hammerers).

My ogre army who needs 200 gnoblars and four gorgers... nobody but I will field them bc I have them and why not its fantasy I won't use them in a tourny but the idea of four blocks of 50 gnoblars sounds crazy enough to be a good time.

If you have the models already it is what it is I wouldn't get rid of them but I do like the idea of painting them so you can have a civil war between two factions of the same army. Also with the big point characters it is nice to go heavy in the units that gain from the character rules if you are themeing your list anyway.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 am

You know, some of you might think it'd be easier to not buy stuff when you're not buying for armies or for games.

I find it even worse now that I have NO restrictions on what I buy. Not even scale. If I like a mini, I usually buy it. It can be for any game system, or not even for gaming. If I like it, I buy it. If you think GW prices are expensive try ordering 70mm metal kits directly from Spain! It adds up but quick.

As for the original question I'd stick with collecting and assembling in 1000 point chunks. Even if you get up to 10,000 points if you keep buulding your collection in 1000 point blocks and view the whole collection as a single army at the very least you'll have a massive and rules legal army.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top