New Point totals for Tournaments?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Point totals for Tournaments?

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Thought I'd throw this out there....the general trend has been to move the standard 2000pt tournament up to 2150 and even 2200. What is everyones opinion on this?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Point totals for Tournaments?

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:13 am

Not really that big a fan. I find that the tighter the points total the more I enjoy the army lists I face and create. The trend to open up games in tournies seems to mean most players will build a 2000 point list, then tack on some extra magic, gun, or whatever.

I've had lots of fun playing 3000 point games with my friends here, but I don't know that I would travel out of town to some of the places we've been for a 3000 point event. Every book is designed (seemingly) around the 2000 point lump. It's generally enough points to force a player to make tight decisions but still give them the flexibility to create something suited to their style and likes. An extra 150-200 points would feel like just that, extra stuff.

I'm not opposed to it, I certainly would try to play some 2150-2200 games with some peeps.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:08 am

I agree with Scott. You would have to make a larger increase to make it seem like a different scale. I would try 2500 pts.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I just played in Vancouver at 2250 points. All it really meant to me was that i could add a giant and another fanatic. Didn't change anything else, and it didn't seem to make a difference to others either. One guy I spoke to said he was able to include another chariot and add more magic banners. Another guy included a unit of wraiths which he admitted he wouldn't take otherwise. I think it would take 2500 points to force army lists to be planned differently. Having said that, I think I'll host a tournament where the limit is 2643 points!

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 pm

I was just thinking I should paint up Dwarf army to 2643 points! Good read bro!

What event did you go to in Vancouver? How did you do? Any tales of victory/woe you'd like to share? As you said the 2250 really only meant people took a 2000 point army, then modified it slightly. I'm just not that big a fan of that. Probably still played on a 6x4 table with the same scenarios, it just doesn't change the game. It just means putting more models on the table, increasing game length etc. but not really impacting things like strategy/tactics.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Screamindaemon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am

A point of interest for everyone. GW has made a new tournament circuit this year dubbed "'ardcore" or something along those lines.
It is a 3500 point tourny, where the entire idea is to win (read cheese-tastic lists everywhere).

whilst I disagree with the excessive cheese, unless it is, havarti, I wouldnt' mind trying some 3500 point games. But I want to add in a rule that you must adhere strongly to fluff, form and diversity, and you are freely allowed to slap your opponent across the mouth if s/he abuses this.

I have always felt that 2000 point games are fine and dandy, but you really can't get a proper feel for an army style or fluff until you can take (most) all of the units from the line. In fact I would think it would be against my rules to have repeat units, unless you can really, really justify it.

Screamindaemon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 am

We've played quite a few 3000 point games around here, there a pile of fun. At 3000 points I feel a lot less like a target for abuse if my opponent comes knocking with a super character or powerful combo for whatever reasons.

3500 points is a hard total for most players to hit unless they're really dedicated to the army of choice. I personally feel that at those high points total games I'm just happy if my oppnent is using painted models without any proxies.

I don't like the concept of the 'ardcore or whatever tournies, but I think their existence may be of some value if players who are already thinking and building armeis along those lines move to that tourny cicuit and stay away from the more conventional circuit maybe I won't have to play the skaven guys with min core with the unit of 10 ogre bulls ("Cause Skaven suck", the guy actually said to me!).

Having said that their are plenty of players around here who DO have 3000+ painted of various armies. I've got at least 3500 painted greenskins and my Nurgley demons should hit 3500 painted very soon. I'd love to get some higher points games in.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 pm

For local tourneys 2000pts is good and achievable. More points means either more units or bigger units. I personally like diversity and themes(other than cheese). In the end it comes down to "I am having a good time?" If not then I won't play that person again, and it doesn't mean I have to win to enjoy the game.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 pm

In Moose Jaw we play large games (5000 pts.) almost more often than 2000 point games. I can honestly never remember playing with special characters. We always talk about it, but never seem to bother with it. It almost doesn't seem "fair" to play with characters as they certainly aren't created equal.

We used to play 5000 points a side, a penny a point. So, on a solid victory you could exchange $30.00+ with your buddy. In 6th edition I was playing against a friends Wood Elves. On turn one my 4 Daemon Princes decided to "fly high" (miss that rule). My buddy activated the Storm banner (I think that was what it was called) and I never saw the Daemons again. I handed Alex $50.00. Total Massacre. True story.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Screamindaemon on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 am

I think you mean 5th edition Smile. They got rid of that fly high rule because of situations like yours. Or when your plan would work, and your tooled up Bloodthirster with the pearl, and something else, I forget now, that was a long time ago, would decimate your opponents side. But that was also when frenzy doubled your attacks, not just adding 1 to it.

Screamindaemon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top