8th Edition Wood Elves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8th Edition Wood Elves

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

With the dawn of 8th edition right around the corner and the tournament looming I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what a wood elf army should look like. My other two armies (dwarfs and brets) will be easy to convert to the new system but I don't think the changes are as friendly to my 'many small units' approach with the woodies.

Some of the changes are great, the fire in two ranks for my glade guard means that I can field them in much more compact groups making deployment easier and with the new rules for monstrous infantry my treekin are awesome (probably second only to minotaurs right now). I also like the new common magic items which will finally let me put some armour on my characters and gives me the possibility of higher-strength attacks without the use of a great weapon. It also opens up the possibility of a 3-treeman army at 2500 points - don't worry, I won't. But that brings me to my problem. What does an 8th edition wood elf army look like?

My core choices are limited by the models that I have: 32 glade guard/scouts, 16 dryads, 5 unpainted glade riders.
I came up with the following: 2 units of 10 glade guard, 2 units of 8 dryads with champions, 2 units of 5 scouts - that equals 626 points, just enough! I'm not really happy with those choices but I'm going to have to live with them since I just don't have the time to buy and paint another unit unless someone has 3 of the old plastic wood elf archers they would like to sell me, then I could go with 3 units of 10 glade guard and 5 scouts.

My special units are ok, I've got up to 20 wardancers (10 unpainted), 3 treekin (hope to get 3 more before the tournament) and 5 wild riders. Typically I run my wardancers in units of 5 but with the new rules for combat they will get shredded after they dish out their attacks. The same goes for the wild riders, heavy cavalry now need armour if they are going to survive and wild riders have pretty much none. I can make the wardancers better by combining them into units of 10 and adding wardancer characters to the mix will help beef up the unit too. I'm thinking that I might need some eternal guard but I definitely won't be able to get a unit together in time for the tournament.

My rare choices are awesome. I can fit pretty much any combination of the 3 rare choices available to me (eagles, treemen and waywatchers) into the 25% cap so no worries there. I never took eagles before because I liked my treeman and waywatchers so much more but now its a no-brainer to throw one or two in for a measly 50 points each.

My characters have me stumped though. There are so many options and so many things that I want to include but I don't want to go too character-heavy. I think in the end I might just take a Lord on a dragon and be done with it, of course then I'd get 0 on all my army-build scores at the tournament (especially if I took 2 treemen as well)!

I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, I just had to vent a bit I guess. If anyone has any thoughts, tips or musings on what a wood elf army should look like in 8th edition feel free to post them!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th Edition Wood Elves

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Holy crap, this is exactly the same thing I just posted moments ago! Except for High Elves.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 pm

I've read the rules and some 8th edition battle reports. Infantry will dominate 8th edition as never before, Cavalry will still be good but now will REALLY need to pick and choose combats. No longer will knights go on free willy charges into anything they can see.

Don't expect magic to win games. It seems very easy to shut down magic on army build, plus rolling for magic dice with your opponent getting the high roll for dipel dice makes the whole magic phase very random. The magic lores look powerful but I don't see magic as being game winning like it can be now.

Shooting is what seems to be what to look out for now with war machines and such, but again I can't see shooting by itself being game winning.

To answer your question, small woodelf units are going to get thier ass handed to them in 8th, unless you can set-up multiple charges. Most of these small units will still hit hard as they did before but then will just die from the return attacks.
I can see units of 20 glade guard 10*2 that can quick reform into ranks for combat. Eternal guard will probably be essential now.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:49 pm

you know what Nathan i would almost say keep your list close to the same as you had for 7th ( of course you will have to add the core for your WE..). after thinking about it for a while i have come to see that the current way i build my army is going to be very similar, but the way i paly is what will change. for example my tomb kings i always had blocks of 25 warriors with bows just cause that seemed to be a good number and they were the cheapest you could have, however the bow effectiveness was lessened unless i made a big line or put them on a hill in a smaller line. now i can keep them in the 5*5 formation and still fire 19/ 25 shots. small things that change the way the game is played, but not really the the way you build your army's what i think we will see.

Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 pm

I have a question about game etiquette. Nathan said there's some major negative to the comp for bringing a Lord on a dragon; is it considered in bad taste to bring a Lord on a monster. I really don't know much about what people don't like to see on the table for fantasy so any help would be appreciated.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Not really, I was just saying that if I took 2 treemen AND a lord on a dragon it might be considered bad form.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 pm

So how about this idea: characters of the same unit type (ie: infantry, cavalry, monstrous infantry etc.) are allowed to join together to form a unit in 8th edition. I think the exception is that characters still cannot join flying units so you couldn't make a unit of dragonriders or eagle-riders. What if I made a unit of 3 stag-riding nobles? Would that be allowed? Would it be awesome or stupid?

3 wild rider nobles on stags with 50 points of magic is 615 points which fits under 25% for 2500 points. It would give me 15 S5 magical attacks on the charge + 3 stomp attacks at S5. Not on the charge I'd get 12 S4 attacks and 6 S5 attacks + 3 stomp attacks. Thats not counting the 150 points of magical items I could take.

I'm not sure how attacks back at them would work. Would the opponent have to decide how to split up their attacks between the 3 models? Would excess wounds carry over to the next character?

I won't be taking this for the tournament but if I decide to make the models you could see it in the league some time!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:33 pm

i bought some wood elves awhile back but now as i have three other armies on the go my wood elves are avaible, if you have any inerest let me know.

Darren

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm

What sort of stuff do you have? If you have some of the new glade guard I might be interested in updating my old ones, I'd need at least 30 though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 am

not sure, i am out of the city right now but only a small number

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum