Rare Earth Magnet Basing - here's the deal.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rare Earth Magnet Basing - here's the deal.

Post  epengr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm

So there seems to be some interest in the rare earth magnets and steel base plates I've been showing around, so I think I can make a go of supplying your needs.

Here's how I think it could work. I'll take advanced orders from everyone interested and then place an order to get the base plates pro cut. That way they'll be perfectly square and have nice rounded corners and such. It’ll probably take 1-2 weeks to get the orders together for you once everyone’s order is in. I'll probably order extra for "stock" since EVERYONE will want them once a few people start using them.

Price-wise, I was thinking of keeping it simple and giving them to you for $0.25 a figure for whatever sized units you want. Monsters would be $0.50 per fig (2 magnets each). Cavalry really only need one magnet each so I'll stick to $0.25 even with the larger plates (if you wnat two each, just ask).

For example:

A 1x5 unit of Flesh Hounds would need a 125 mm x 75 mm base and 5 magnets ($0.25 x 5 = ) $1.25

A 2x5 unit of Drawf Thunderers would need a 40 mm x 100 mm plate and 10 magnets, all of which you receive for ($0.25 x 10 = ) $2.50

A 6x5 block of Saurus would need a 150 mm x 125 mm plate and 30 magnets for ($0.25 x 30 = ) $7.50

A 10x4 Horde of Zombies would need a 200 mm x 80 mm plate and 40 magnets, all of which you receive for ($0.25 x 40 =) $10.00.

Any base size you want is possible. If anyone wants something weird, like a Bret cavalry wedge, I'll have to let you know on the price - but it's possible.

Since 8th is coming soon and everything will be changing - I plan to wait till late July to place the order so everyone has time to work out their new lists before they choose their unit sizes. Even so, I’d appreciate an expression of interest and possibly a rough idea of how many figs you’d be looking at basing sooner than that so I can gauge actual interest.

I have enough magnets to sell some sample units if people are interested in trying before they commit. Same price but the plates will be hand cut (I’ll do a good job for you Wink )

Oh, and the magnetics are 6mm x 1.5mm. They fit under all slotta bases without modification. The can be pressed easily between the studs of monster bases. Cavalry bases need a cut out or hole drilled (a 1/4" bit works perfect). If they are mounted flush to the surface of a slotta base, the won't actually touch the base plate and will hold with ~0.23 lbs of force. If they are mounted flush with the baseplate (using a blob of epoxy or even hot-melt glue) the pull force is 0.86 lbs. The first way is perfect for plastics, the second may be prefered for heavier metals and cavalry.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rare Earth Magnet Basing - here's the deal.

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:33 pm

I am so in! I could do this myself, but getting the metal (I used eavestrough!), Shears to cut it, cutting the sheet magnet (which seems to come in different thicknesses) and then trying to glue it is a headache. I'm giving you a "pre-testimonial" that this will be a life saver and the prices are certainly reasonable. I noticed on the bottom of your bases that it didn't look like crazy glue. I forgot to ask, but what is it?

Tell them on Monday you're qutting your job and going into the "base making" industry! Very Happy

...Just make sure you take a picture of the looks on their faces.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm

[quote="squalie"]
Tell them on Monday you're qutting your job and going into the "base making" industry! Very Happy
[quote]

After a day like today (which isn't even over), it's awefully tempting...

I believe the ones you saw were CA glue - a blob of thick gap filling type that holds the magnet well as it dries. I've also use a thin glue and an instant set spray to good effect (and even without the spray and a little bit of patience.) The first thing I tried was a hot melt glue blob so that the magnet was in contact with the base. This is VERY strong and my skinks tended to break instead of pull off the base, so I switch to the recessed mounting which is just right.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm in for sure also. probably about 200 figs and 6-7 bases worth for now. How thick is the base metal as I would prefer fairly thin if possible.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Carson wrote:I'm in for sure also. probably about 200 figs and 6-7 bases worth for now. How thick is the base metal as I would prefer fairly thin if possible.

I was thinking of using 20 gauge (0.9 mm) but I have used 28 gauge (0.4 mm). Both work but the 20 guage is more rigid.

If you're worried about weight, for a 10x5 units of 20 mm bases it would be:
20 gauge: 144 g
28 gauge: 54 g

For a 5x3 unit of 25 mm bases:
20 gauge: 68 g
28 gauge: 29 g

If anyone else had an opinion, I'm open to a democratic decision. We could split the difference too...

I'll make sure to have a sample of each, as well as the magnets with me whenever I'm at the Den for people to check out.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 pm

I've actually been working towards a way to not have the typical base "ridge" that surrounds the models. I think this'll be great to have the unit all ranked up on the table without the barrier surrounding them.

KnowwhatImean?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 am

squalie wrote:I've actually been working towards a way to not have the typical base "ridge" that surrounds the models. I think this'll be great to have the unit all ranked up on the table without the barrier surrounding them.

KnowwhatImean?

I do exactly, the babses I've cut have been the exact size of the unit bases, achieving exactly what you describe. It looks good, if I may say so myself. I'll look better when I get around to adding some detail and flar to my bases (or painting them, for that matter).

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 pm

How much of a heads up do you need for the bases/magnets? I'd like to pick them up at the tourny. If not then I'd like to get these ordered. Since 8th has come out I'm just figuring out what size I'll need.

I think I'll just get every size possible, in all base sizes just to make sure. Laughing This game's gonna kill me.

*edit*

What if a fellow also wanted just the movement trays with no magnets? My Daemon army is already magnetised, but I'd be interested in just movement trays of various sizes.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:56 pm

By the tourney wont happen, you're the only one to offer an kind of commitmnet so far, and it'd take a couple weeks to get the magnets if I ordered today anyways...

It sounds like you'll single handedly make it worth doing, and with an order taht size, I'm sure we can work out a good deal for just bases too.

-David

squalie wrote:How much of a heads up do you need for the bases/magnets? I'd like to pick them up at the tourny. If not then I'd like to get these ordered. Since 8th has come out I'm just figuring out what size I'll need.

I think I'll just get every size possible, in all base sizes just to make sure. Laughing This game's gonna kill me.

*edit*

What if a fellow also wanted just the movement trays with no magnets? My Daemon army is already magnetised, but I'd be interested in just movement trays of various sizes.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm very interested.

I'd need:

80 x 25mm Bases
20 x Calvary Bases
5 x 40mm Bases

and for movement trays I'm not entirely sure yet, I'm looking for trays with the ridged edge around them so I'd like a plate that fit inside that, but like I said I'm still looking at bases etc, I'm considering ordering some resin bases from micro art (or some other place that I forgot the name of actually) so I'd be interested in picking up the plate tho as I don't have any way to cut it myself (none that I'm willing to do anyways)

I'll get back to you this weekend when I've had time to figure things out.

smackman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 pm

The plates will be exactly the size of the based figures, so if you want to put them in a tray that should be fine. Once a unit's magnetized to a base plat, you really don't need a movement tray in my opinion. But they still are pretty.

-David

smackman wrote:I'm very interested.

and for movement trays I'm not entirely sure yet, I'm looking for trays with the ridged edge around them so I'd like a plate that fit inside that, but like I said I'm still looking at bases etc, I

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:30 pm

If you're thinking resin bases, check out Dragon Forge Design. They're the best quality by FAR around. Decent prices too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 am

Actually scott that's who I was looking at, they have some cobble stone ones that I wanted to do with snow just to give my army consistant bases to tie it all together.

And yeah the ridged trays probably aren't necessary but they will look nice.

smackman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Any base size you want is possible. If anyone wants something weird, like a Bret cavalry wedge, I'll have to let you know on the price - but it's possible.

Actually, I may end up painting a friends Brett army. How much would such a movement tray cost?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Wow, sorry I never got back to you on this question.

I believe I can do a Bret wedge for the Monster base price, $0.50/model for the base and the magnets. All those interested in this size base would have to decide/agree on angled or stepped side:

-David

squalie wrote:

Actually, I may end up painting a friends Brett army. How much would such a movement tray cost?

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let's do it!

Post  epengr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Okay,

One person has given me an order, so if I can get even one more I can probably make this worth while.

I'd like to go ahead with this soon, so last chance! Who wants in?

-David

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:24 pm

The Bretonnian lance formation doesn't look like that anymore. It's now 3 models wide and up to 5 ranks deep so it should be rectangular 75mm x 50mm to 250mm depending on how many knights are in the lance.

I think I would be interested in getting some for my wood elf army. I'll PM you with details.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Really?! Did that change with 8th? I don't know jack about Bretonnians, but I swear I've seen a wedge on the table in the last few months...

nathanr wrote:The Bretonnian lance formation doesn't look like that anymore. It's now 3 models wide and up to 5 ranks deep so it should be rectangular 75mm x 50mm to 250mm depending on how many knights are in the lance.

I think I would be interested in getting some for my wood elf army. I'll PM you with details.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Nope, it changed to that way back in 6th edition.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

nathanr wrote:Nope, it changed to that way back in 6th edition.

Has anyone told Darren (Pud) that? Cause I know I've seen him field a wedge...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Hmm, my brother and I played you and him at the doubles tournament and he was doing it right.

P.S. I PM'd you about the bases.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 pm

There's a fair chance I'm on crack...

nathanr wrote:Hmm, my brother and I played you and him at the doubles tournament and he was doing it right.

P.S. I PM'd you about the bases.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:39 am

Got my magnetic movement trays and I'm pretty pleased with them. I magnetized my hammerer unit last night and I can turn them upside down! My whole force at the megabattle will be magnetized with some cool war machine bases as well. Thanks David!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 pm

hey I'm still waiting to hear what the costs will be for my order. Would really like to get this done.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top