How to not suck at WFB for dummies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to not suck at WFB for dummies?

Post  epengr on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Can anyone recommend some good reading on WFB tactics or tactics in general that applies well to WFB? Print or websites would be fine, whatever.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not my army or my list, it's me that sucks! Very Happy So I want to fix that. Trying to develop these skills on my own at one game a week would take forever.

10 years of little more than Settlers of Catan has atrophied my tactical skills to near nothingness, and since I played more 40k back in the day, I can't really lay claim to any great tactical skill to begin with.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to not suck at WFB for dummies?

Post  Ironwoulf on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 am

the GW site has some articles that are army specific. Then some of the forums like Librarium on oline and such. It took me years to learn the subtle nuances of the game. Learn what your army can do and can't do, set things up a couple of turns in advance, have a plan and follow it - don't play the other guys game, set up and manuvering is very important and lastly experience.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 am

Usually, each army specific website (forum) has a section dedicated to their own cause for victory. You play Lizardmen, so go to the Lizardmen site and surely there will be mostly sound advice to get the best out of that army. After time you will simply stumble over other threads and links that will take you to where you will find what you're looking for. You certainly won't be the only one looking to improve his game.

http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=11143.0

http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Last edited by squalie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Probably only of interest to me, but Chaos Dwarfs on-line has sub-section for Tactics and Advice.
There's entries for every Chaos Dwarf vs. < insert army here >.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:35 pm

"10 years of little more than Settlers of Catan has atrophied my tactical skills to near nothingness, and since I played more 40k back in the day, I can't really lay claim to any great tactical skill to begin with."

Are you around Friday evening? I can have you a game at a leisurly pace going over tactics, and gane play. Kinda dissect what is being done and disscuss possible not worrying about winning or losing

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Ironwoulf wrote:Are you around Friday evening? I can have you a game at a leisurly pace going over tactics, and gane play. Kinda dissect what is being done and disscuss possible not worrying about winning or losing

I probably could be, I'll have to double check with my better half though. That would be great, thanks Rob!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Some good advice there Bob.

Even though I've played for many years, each new army Ive built has taken some time to learn. Perhaps the best advice I can give is to bring a plan to the table or more specifically a plan that your army can complete, and then follow through with that plan. When you change your game plan by reacting to your opponent your setting yourself up for loss.

You really have to train yourself to think 2 turns in advance andd then focus your army on achieving it.

Also Like Bob said you have to have a keen awareness of what your army can and can't do.

For an example. My WOC army is incredibly small compared to what I normally field in armies but is extremely tough and durable. It also suffers from having open flanks because of tthe few units.So knowing that I'm limited to small numbers I know that to win I have to concentrate all my units together to punch into the enemy line and destroy it before it can be saved or reinforced. To do this I plan to set my deployment tight and usually to one side of the table. I'll deploy without even looking at what my opponent is placing and just place my units in way that my plan can be achieved.

Thinking about this more Made me realise that my loss record reflects the times that I reacted to my opponent rather than just following my plan........or just doing stupid stuff you know is probably not the best thing to do, or bad dice, or etc etc

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Ironwoulf wrote:"

Are you around Friday evening? I can have you a game at a leisurly pace going over tactics, and gane play. Kinda dissect what is being done and disscuss possible not worrying about winning or losing

I'm free, I'll be there. Thanks!

Whatever time's good for you . I'm taking the day off.

Is it Rob or Bob? Either or Both?

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Just call him Brob.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:17 am

squalie wrote:Just call him Brob.

i like your style

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

epengr wrote:
Ironwoulf wrote:"

I'm free, I'll be there. Thanks!

Whatever time's good for you . I'm taking the day off.

Is it Rob or Bob? Either or Both?

How about 6:30 -7 PM at Dragon's den Friday

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Ironwoulf wrote:

Perfect, see you then.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 pm

epengr wrote:
Ironwoulf wrote:

Perfect, see you then.

Any chance that I could leech on as a 3rd wheel Friday evening? I've never played WHFB but want to, and just signed on to the forum tonight to see if anyone was available Friday or Saturday to play an intro game. I can bring my Chaos Dwarfs (from 6th ED Ravening Hordes list) which are largely unpainted but ready to roll.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi. I have to cancel Friday. My one track mind forgot the date I made with my wife. call me 254-4830 What about Sunday afternoon?

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top