Nicodemus' Dawi'Zharr

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nicodemus' Dawi'Zharr

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Black Orc unit (a mix of some old and some new... old ones have had lava painted on their bases and will get some ballast added soon to tie their bases in better with the rest of the unit).

I wanted to tie in the command models and the unit filler so I went with red metal shoulder plates. None of the other models will have 'em.

The view from above of the Standard Bearer, unit filler and the musician:

Here's where I'm at with the unit filler diorama...
Some added texture with spray-on stone effects spray paint (FYI: doesn't dissolve the foam).
It looks awful, but it's just there for some added texture, and to hide/fill a lot of very tiny gaps in the foam! This will, of course, get painted over again with some real colour.

Some models from my Forge of Unfinished Business ascending from the base, just for a sense of scale...

There's going to be six all metal models standing at the top: Two of the old Marauder Chaos Dwarfs, a Chaos Warrior, Dark Elf, Ogre Paymaster and a Skaven. Haven't decided yet if there'll be any slaves up there with them or not... was thinking Hobgoblins, Goblins or Snotlings. What I really wanted was a Black Orc on his knees with his hands shackled behind him
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Some more of the stuff that's been coming out of the forge lately...

Terrain bits finished

Some WIP:

Other finished stuff:

Unit filler for my Chaos Dwarfs

Lord and Hero Chaos Dwarfs (second from the right is a converted HeroQuest Dwarf)

Chaos Dwarf Warriors with brass minotaur statue unit filler

And a little conversion I started... still needs some GS to fix up the fingers, etc.

Now you know what's under those hats Wink

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

In response to a challenge that my unit of undead Chaos Dwarfs didn't yet have an undead Bull Centaur I made this guy last night:

His limbs have all been shortened to Dwarfy proportions, now I just need to make up a 40x60mm scenic base with space for him to nest within as a unit filler, get the tattered remnants of his beard going a clean up the weapon, etc with a little Green Stuff

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 pm

All this stuff looks fantastic. So why aren't you playing on Saturday? Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 pm

squalie wrote:All this stuff looks fantastic. So why aren't you playing on Saturday? Very Happy

Perfectly good question... I'd be in there every Saturday gaming, except commitments at home that keep me away (2 year old plus another on the way). Weekends are the only time I get to spend any real time with family as work is hectic during the week. Most of my games these days are with a friend (Skaven player)... he and I get together every 3-4 weeks for an evening, usually after 8pm. We're both still pretty new to the game... although I have close to 10,000 pts of Chaos Dwarfs, while he's working his way up to 2,000 pts for his Skaven army.

... Anyway, one of these days, however, I'll make plans to be at the Den for the day on a Saturday as my wife and I are trying to fit all of the things on our event wish list into the next few months before baby #2 arrives Razz

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 am

Been busy with other things like work and the arrival of our second daughter... so not a lot of updates or new progress

Chaos Dwarfs

Raging Heroes Lammasu

Lore of Hashut spell cards

Progress on the Doom Engine (inspired by 8th Ed Rules Time of Legends)

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:26 pm

love the creativity.....how are the forge world Chaos Dwarfs?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Carson wrote:how are the forge world Chaos Dwarfs?

They're a bit more work to clean up than regular plastics, and I've found lots of very thin spots, especially on shields, etc. where I'm worried that the slightest poke during filing, scraping or even transport will tear a hole in them. I think some GS on the backside and then filed down smooth on the front or just covering the hole with some etched brass symbols or GS designs will hide and protect them. I haven't finished all of them though. The warmachines are very detailed and the Iron Daemon is eating up a lot of painting time. Great model and great rules for the Iron Daemon though. In my last game I tested it out and by mid game I was wanting one or two more it was just so good. Once it got held up in close combat it slowed it down, but it still grinded out the unit it was against pretty quick (squishy Clanrats).

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:23 am

Converted Hobgoblin (not done painting yet...)

HeroQuest movement Dice (and an unrelated book)

Scaled-down HeroQuest game board

Parchment paper instructions for creating Chaos Warrior armour & weapons

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 am

Grats on the new arrival! What's the hero-quest board for? Just for kicks? Love it, nice stuff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:36 am

yeah, congrats. Love your passion for the hobby.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:48 am

ScottRadom wrote:Grats on the new arrival! What's the hero-quest board for? Just for kicks? Love it, nice stuff!

I'm going to make a mini version (not 100% complete though) and my pie in the sky idea is to have some 28mm fantasy characters playing it Wink
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Hobgoblin exposed down in the dungeons beneath the Daemonsmith Sorcerer's Forge Wink ... from my Arcane Fulcrum. He's one of the old metal Hobgoblin Wolfriders with a bow and arrow.

Bull Centaur with GW, inspired by some fan artwork.

I hate converting metal figs.
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

The updated Warhammer Forge/Forge World list for Chaos Dwarfs has Bull Centaurs now listed as Monstrous Beasts instead of Cavalry or something similar. Currently I believe the only Monstrous Beast on a 25x50 base is the Ogre Kingdoms Sabretusks. Pretty much all of the older models that were once on Cavalry bases are now on 40x40 or 50x50 bases (royal unicorn, pegasus, etc). Anyway, Forge World's recommendation has been to base the updated Bull Centaurs on "something" larger than 25x50.

An idea that came to me while thinking about rebasing my bull centaurs (I've only painted a few so far as I had a hunch this change was coming, so it's not a bit issue)... the idea is to create a uniform movement tray that would effectively accommodate all of those options. As it happens, a 5-wide, 5-deep unit on 40x40 bases is exactly the same footprint as 4-wide/4-deep 50x50 bases or 8-wide/4-deep 25x50 bases.

My plan is to create a movement tray that will double as a piece of Chaos Dwarf-themed scenery that will have pre-drilled holes for pinned Bull Centaurs to slot into at the necessary spacings to accommodate the various options (actually, I'll probably just drill the 40x40 and 50x50 spacings), so that ultimately I don't need them to be based at all Wink Although I may never/rarely use the movement tray it's mostly to showcase the Bull Centaurs when they're done and it'll also do double duty as a Chaos Dwarf-themed terrain piece which I ultimately envision as going into the entrance area to my Chaos Dwarf Underway!

Temple of Hashut Entrance (movement tray)

As you can see I've gone with Finecast Tauruses, which I'll paint up as brass bulls.

The Taurus bellies are being hollowed out and will have cages instead where slave offerings are placed before they're roasted alive! So far a Cursed Company Orc will comprise the remains of the first offering.. and I'm waiting on a classic Dwarf Slayer model to make up the second Wink The roasting slaves within the bellies of large brass bulls is pretty accurate to the Chaos Dwarf Temple fluff too...

Temple of Hashut Entrance
It's coming along. In the Chaos Dwarf Underway this'll sit flush with one of the interior walls.

The layout

Close-up of the edifice.. yeah, the stairs look shittily crooked, but that's because they're not glued yet, each step is its own layer so that I can make the rise steeper or more gradual (within a few mm) to accommodate the space that's on the movement tray.

Here's one of my new Bull Centaurs again for the unit. His weapon effectively doubles as a standard if I need it. Bull Centaurs can be a BSB, so this'll do double duty when needed.

The weapon is based off of Mattbird's Bull Centaur weapon (above inset). I clipped off the top of the axe, right down to the hand and also clipped out the axe handle that ran between each hand. Afterward I drilled down through the top hand until I was all the way through both. The bottom hand isn't perfectly lined up in the model as the bottom hand holds the base of the axe handle. Still, I was able to drill at enough of an angle to run a straight brass rod through both and only had to lose the surface from a couple of scales from his armour below the bottom hand to make it fit... the missing scales aren't even noticeable once the rod is in.

This is another of my converted standard bearers who will be hauling slaves off to be roasted alive in the belly of the large brass bulls.

Obviously the movement tray will only have limited use as it's pretty large and I'm not that likely to be fielding so many Bull Centaurs (at 40+pts each), but the movement tray/Temple Entrance doubling as a piece of scenery is really what I'm after. I've had my 4'x2' form mountain and underway "in progress" for about 2 years in the work room and I only go in periodically (read: once every 3-4 months) to add stuff. Anyway, this temple will go against one of the inside walls of the Chaos Dwarf Underway entrance along with a host of other things (forge, slave pens, causways, elevators, etc etc)... so this Underway is more of a long term project. When my wife heard this movement tray was going to go into the Unverway she said "You're really going to do something with that thing finally??!". I geuss 4'x2' sitting in the middle of the work shop in the basement is pretty conspicuos and I think she figured I forgot about it Wink ... nope - it's just a long term, multi-stage project Razz

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Hello gents,

Things slowed down a bit for the Fall and over Xmas with work being busy, but I've been pressing on with the Dawi'Zharr...

Those Ogres don't have a brain in their heads. Not one original thought. They're are such a bunch of copy cats Wink

My bighat character conversion of one of the new Infernal Guard. I gave him a left over pistol from the Infernal Guard command.

My WIP for the FW Legion of Azgorh K'daai (fire daemons bound within suits of armour)
Have to make these guys in stages. After the casting, drilling and making the frame, I do all the wiring and soldering.

After that I add on the Green Stuff to make the flames which protrude from any part that's not covered in magical armour, and even a few extra spot fires on the surface of the armour itself.

Once that's all done they look a little scrawny, but it's time to prime them. The light bulbs have to be protected from the primer, so they're covered with bluetac:

Once I paint the basic core of the structure and that has dried I can add the fire effects over the lights. I use Woodland Scenics Water Effects. It goes on super thick, but you can do a little light sculpting with a toothpick. I add a small amount of Citadel yellow to the toothpick tip and mix that in as a sculpt the flames. Then I do the same with an even smaller amout of orange, adding that to a smaller area of the flames. Once it tries the flames look good, but are still translucent and let the light shine through (hard to get good photos with the camera so I dimmed the lights). IRL they're brighter than you'd think from the photo!

not quite done... but on its way.

I still need to finish the unit filler, which will hide the 12V batteries, as well as the movement tray which will deliver power from the unit filler up under the base of each K'daai...

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 pm

..oops, I forgot these guys:

Here's the (nearly) completed Forge World Infernal Guard conversions to Bighat characters:

I just have his base left to finish up on this guy.

And here's the finished conversion - Tromm'Zharr!! (Translated from Khazalid it means Fire Beard) I also used some of my homemade etched brass pieces for the chaos star on the base.

... and the Tromm'Zharr comes in the night!!
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Pretty simple little conversion with not too much in the way of modifications..

I decided I wanted a Chaos Dwarf engineer/Daemonsmith to be nearby to the K'daai. This guy is one of the Dwarf Bolt Thrower crew. I liked the pose, but he needed some Dawi'Zharr-iffication, such as more beard, fatter bottom lip and of course a weapon!

The idea is that the flames at the bottom will be rolling outward along the ground a little, but will be very thin and tapered at the base, but growing hotter and more wild as it goes upward. Only half of the "body" will still have the armour plating on and I'm going to be able to make use of a bunch of miscast parts to do some burn out-damaged K'daai armour.

Oh, and the paper towel on the base is my lazy way of blocking off the base for where I eventually want lava to go, so that it'll match up with the adjacent bases in the unit.

... and looking at this guy now, it's clear to me that he needs a fat stogie hanging out of the corner of his mouth!

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top