Nicodemus' Dawi'Zharr

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nicodemus' Dawi'Zharr

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:08 am

By way of introductions (aside from checking-in at Roll Call) I'm posting one of my latest conversions (sorry, no painting for a while yet)...

For my 10th unit of Chaos Dwarf Warriors I wanted something special... as Chaos Dwarfs are known to enslave members of effectively any race they encounter (not necessarily excluding trading partners like Ogres) I thought it would be fitting to have a unit of enslaved Dawi, being led by one of the more powerful and influential Chaos Dwarfs in the fluff I've written for Warhammer Quest.

I give you Imperious Gharzakh Goldgreed's Ensorcelled Dawi Slave Force (with full command, and Goldgreed as a 6-model unit filler.. which isn't much of a 'filler' as there's 5 models in the filler!)

Goldgreed is a powerful Sorcerer and High Priest of Hashut, but he's also in control of the Slave Guild as well as the mines, where he puts any of the enslaved Dwarfs to work. With the Dwarf slave force endlessly mining beneath the earth Gharzakh has grown to become one of the richest of the Dawi Zharr. I figured his Standard should reflect something about the 'operations' that go on with his slave force Wink

The main road through the Chaos Dwarf capitol city, Zharr Naggrund, is said to be paved with plates of gold and brass so I wanted the base and movement tray to reflect that. I also wanted Goldgreed to be atop one of the mine carts that's over-flowing with gold cheers

And with all the gold scattered across the bases and movement tray spilling out from the Greed Cart I thought it prudent to have a slave following along behind whose job it is to clean up. As forge masters, daemonsmiths and engineers I figured a broom was too mundane for a Chaos Dwarf army so I came up with the Gold Dredger Wink

Here's a summary of the rest of the pics:

Goldgreed is magnetized and so he can be removed and used on his own as a character:

~N

Last edited by Nicodemus on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nicodemus' Dawi'Zharr

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 am

Thats some nice modelling love the fluff.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:04 am

Very nice modeling and fluff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:55 am

Excellent. Just excellent -- Love the CD's.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:09 pm

i love em

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Here's more of my stuff... I'm a slow painter. I much prefer individual hero type models that I can take my time on. Still working on my speed for painting units.... anyway, here's some recent stuff:

Chaos Dwarf Lord riding a Great Taurus (Note the glorious flaming balls)

FYI The Taurus and rider started life as a Schleich rodeo bull and as the Dark Dwarf Captain, Thunganir from Reaper:

Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Blunderbusses (with a 4-model unit filler)

Enslaved Black Orcs (still very much a WIP, but I've since started painting the command, unit filler and 5 other BOs)

And this was my entry for a contest to represent Fozzrik's Folding Fortress:

Lastly... some individual models for my Chaos Dwarf expansion for Warhammer Quest...

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:30 am

I get the biggest grin when I look at these pictures. I have to play this army when you're ready, so get painting! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 am

Fun looking stuff for sure!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:25 pm

pretty cool, love the CD's. Can't wait to see what forgeworld does for them.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:12 pm

squalie wrote:I get the biggest grin when I look at these pictures. I have to play this army when you're ready, so get painting! Very Happy

Soon as I can find some time to get over to the 'Den with say 1000-to-1500 points of painted models you're on! I've only ever played a handful of games, first one ever was the end of July vs. Ironwoulf. Family and work commitments during the day/evenings keep me tied up quite often. But I'm all over the idea Wink

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:18 am

One more brief update.

I'm working my way through a unit of 50 Black Orcs (roughly). Usual caveat that this is not finished and is a WIP. There's lots of touch-ups to still put on. It's getting there... but it's going SO slowly...

This is my 4-model unit filler for my unit of Black Orcs (pictured above). I'm doing the rest of the first rank at the same time. More pics of the Black Orc slaves later.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Just to keep my stuff organized and in one place. Here's my painting contest entry... which may be the only one, but in any event it's done and is far better than the standard BO musician I had. He'll be going into a unit of BOs with my Doombull unit filler...

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Super cool! I have mine based and primed... but mine is a bit of a cheat. It's a musician allright based on a 25mm base but it's not really for any of my armies. It'd be cool in a Slaanesh army or a Mordheim warband though! It's a super cool mini and I should be able to finish it this week.

Really like the creativity in your musician! It's super awesome.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for hte compliments!

Here's the rest of what's going on...

Hobgoblins

I could do exceedingly better conversion work on these guys, but given that there's going to be close to 100 of them (they cost 2pts each for a Chaos Dwarf army, 4pts each with light armour and shields) I'm trying to get them converted and just looking like Hobgoblins. I've got 40 original metal Hobgoblins that'll be in the front ranks of any Hobgoblin units anyway so these are just to fill out my numbers. I'll be giving dipping a try as well as I've never attempted it before, but the impending tedium of painting ~100 Hobbos all the way through fills me with dread!

Doom Engine and Thunder Barge
See A Time of Legends in the 8th ED rule book.

Diorama unit filler.
It'll replace ~36 models if I were to use it as a unit filler (i.e. if I ever wanted to be totally out to lunch and go with 100+ Hobgoblins in a unit). The idea is that the Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer is the centre stage model, accompanied by one of his Chaos Dwarf Warrior underlings (maybe also a Hobgoblin, Goblin or Snotling slave... or maybe one of each of them). Around them are to be a Dark Elf, Chaos Warrior, Ogre and a Skaven. Each of them are there work out the terms of their trade agreements with the Dawi'Zharr. The Chaos Dwarf models are older Marauder Chaos Dwarfs. The Sorcerer is the old Marauder Mage and still fetches a hefty sum on eBay. Each of these models will have their own separate base (probably magnetized with another magnet in the model) so that they can be removed from the unit filler and fielded individually (i.e. for games of Warhammer Quest).

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am

I used to hate unit fillers, but this looks awesome. Nathan has one in his Brett army (I think) and it changed my mind about them. Cool looking stuff and I feel like I've gone back in time 10 years.

What's the 2 litre pop bottle for?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 pm

The big base in my Bret army is the Grail Reliquae so it isn't really a unit filler. This is very cool, are you going to set some of the hobgoblins up with spears pointing at the "guests" like they are surrounding them and helping with the "negotiations"?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:30 pm

squalie wrote:I used to hate unit fillers, but this looks awesome. Nathan has one in his Brett army (I think) and it changed my mind about them. Cool looking stuff and I feel like I've gone back in time 10 years.

What's the 2 litre pop bottle for?

It'll be the main part of the Chaos Dwarf dirigible ... basically the evil version of the Dwarf Thunder Barge shown in the 8th ED rule book... Wink

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:07 pm

You drive me nuts. I get frustrated using greenstuff when I just have to fill gaps! Very Happy I have no patience for GS and admire those that do.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 am

We'll see how much patience I have after I get through doing the GS on my first 20 Hobgoblins... Wink

Oh, and I finished off the Doombull unit filler for my unit of BOs (I can go as high as 50 BOs if the situation ever demands it Laughing ):

The brass bits I made myself... first attempt went well. Here's another pic:

On my next go I'd make some of the shield icons maybe 50% larger so that they really fill out the shield. They aren't all for shields, however, such as the Chaos star above, that was just an extra one that may make its way on to a standard or the side of a warmachine or a base or something. The main problem with these is that they have to be totally flat or else they won't ever lay flat and stay glued. That was only a problem with one icon so far. The other problem is priming them... the primer has to go on very sparingly, otherwise all that very fine detail is totally lost.

I guess if I'm doing an update I might as well toss in what else is happening with the BOs... I'm doing the front rank first as well as a couple of the other more unique models from the unit. The rest of the vanilla BOs that have minimal modifications will get speed painted later to fill out the unit as needed. In terms of modifications, both the plastic and metal BOs have had all of their "Orc" symbols filed off them and Chaos Dwarf ones put on most of them instead, signifying their servitude to the Dawi'Zharr Twisted Evil Sorry the first pic is a little out of focus. Not the best lighting at 11pm in the basement:

Yeah, a bunch of those dudes are WIPs and more painting is needed...
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:40 am

WIP Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers... still lots left to do

The Marauder Mage (on the left) will be interchangeable with the Dark Lands' Accord diorama/unit filler. The idea for the floating piece of rock is to have lava welling up from the rock where his sceptre is resting, with the lava then flowing down and over the base. The pyromancer on the right, however, will be permanently affixed to the base and flames. His base will have lava being disgorged from the mouth of the statue, which is the source of power for the pyromancer's fire spells;)

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 am

That is very, very cool! I do enjoy seeing your stuff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 am

WIP...

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 am

Awesome work with the creativity!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Great stuff! Can't wait to play against these babies.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Dark Lands' Accord unit filler is getting a re-think... not sure it's much of a unit-filler any more, but I'll keep the base to the right size anyway.

Yeah... there'll be connecty bridge-type bits and all that jazz... and yeup... they'll be floating rocks, harkening back to the mini version of this piece that I'm using for the Sorcerer's base.

No, it's not done... the foam is just the basic outline shape, still needs a lot of cutting

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top