Dark elf question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dark elf question

Post  Druchi on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 am

Question: I heard dark elves are a broken army recently, but that's not the reason o am wanting to get into them. Once upon a time when I played mordheim I played a dark elf warband when the rules were printed for them, and I always thought they were a cool concept.
I am not wanting to piss people off or anything when I do get into them, so what kind of units should I avoid?

I was thinking of bolt throwers and a hydra just because I love the look of them. But I was told bolt throwers are really broken.

What are the communitys thoughts?

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dark elf question

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:17 am

Bolt throwers are definitely not broken, and even less so in 8th ed. Hydra's are terrifying, but even in 8th, they're not QUITE what they used to be. I wouldn't worry about it so much, play the army and the figs you like to play and let everyone else deal with their own issues.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:24 am

Well I still have not even looked at the army book for the DEs and I am going purely off what the models look like. I am wanting to get one of those avatars of war miniatures to use as my sorceress and I want some kind of model riding a dragon or manticore just because they look fucking cool.

But thanks for the info. Anyone else have some comments?

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:55 am

I think that the dark elf army has the potential to be over the top, but really it is just really good and well-balanced. Sure you can make a double hydra + dragon + manticore monster list or take 4 bolt throwers and a whack of crossbowmen or go completely magic crazy but for the most part if you take a balanced list you won't be accused of power-gaming. The only thing in the Dark Elf army that I think is really dumb is the reverse ward save item. I really hate that thing! That said, if I had available to any of my armies I would definitely take it every time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 pm

i had a peek at that pod cast and it said that for core no more then three of any one unit can be used and for special and rare no more then two of the same unit can be used, but bolt throwers are great because even with war machines you can pre-measure and the units best BS can counter misses, so only the eight and ten will be a real miss unless you hit another unit.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Well this bodes well. Back in 40k I thrive on the close games. Where even near the end of the game it can be anyones game. A game that's fun for both people. That's the kind of game I would love to pass into WFB and why I was posting this topic.

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top