New Warhammer Fantasy Player

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Warhammer Fantasy Player

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 am

As the title of the thread states I'm new. Been playing speciality games like Warhammer Quest for donkeys ages now but have never so much as played a single game of Warhammer Fantasy (or 40K, for that matter).

Was new to Saskatoon in 2007 and have been busy with work/career and family obligations which has generally meant that I can't get out to any afternoon/evening places were games might be going on.

With 8th Ed on the horizon I'm interested in jumping right in, and at least with the new edition even the experienced players will be learning a thing or two Wink I'm amassing a Chaos Dwarf army at present... of course only time will tell if there's going to be any kind of errata for Chaos Dwarfs in the real Ravening Hordes list. In the mean time I'll carry on. I've got over 6,000+ points worth of Chaos Dwarfs primed but not painted. I'm aiming for ~10,000pts and then I'll stop for a while and paint... although I'm giving all of my unit sizes a re-think with 8th Ed. I may wait to totally finalize my units so that I can make some slight changes to infantry #'s once things are clearer with 8th.

Hopefully there might be an opportunity to meet up with some other new comers to fantasy and maybe get a game or two in (if someone is willing to take me under their wing at the 'den one Friday night/Saturday afternoon).
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Warhammer Fantasy Player

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 am

Welcome! I wouldn't hold your breath about Chaos Dwarfs, BUT apparently there is mention of them (a small section?) in the 8th ed. rulebook. There is little reason they would put them in there unless they had plans for them. Chaos Dwarfs were my first real army and are by far my favorite. I'd love to see the figs you've collected so far, so get painting! Razz

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:58 am

welcome, i am also a newer member and is still learning but here come 8th.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:43 am

I'm new, never even played a game of fantasy, I don't even know the turn order, ready for 8th edition I'd say. I'm pretty familiar with GW stuff tho, I've played 40k for almost 4 years and mordheim for a few months, but I'm basically a total noob.

-Tom

smackman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:25 am

smackman wrote:I'm new, never even played a game of fantasy, I don't even know the turn order, ready for 8th edition I'd say. I'm pretty familiar with GW stuff tho, I've played 40k for almost 4 years and mordheim for a few months, but I'm basically a total noob.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the noob club! Mordheim has had some appeal but I haven't known anyone else tho plays so I haven't been exposed to it properly.

Are there any of the forum regulars who might be convinced to volunteer a bit of time one afternoon (maybe Sunday the 4th at the Den?) to introduce some of us new players to playing WFB? I realize it's probably not much fun in the beginning to teach us how to play, but down the road when we're more experienced we may be able to give you a run for your money Wink

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:07 pm

To be honest, guys, I wouldn't waste your time learning how to play this week, when the rules will be all changing next week. There are some substanial changes, going from 40k to WFB will be almost a big a change as 7th to 8th WFB... almost).

Once the new rules are in peoples hands, there'll be lots of us looking for some nice slow learning games to figure it all out.

-David

Nicodemus wrote:
smackman wrote:I'm new, never even played a game of fantasy, I don't even know the turn order, ready for 8th edition I'd say. I'm pretty familiar with GW stuff tho, I've played 40k for almost 4 years and mordheim for a few months, but I'm basically a total noob.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the noob club! Mordheim has had some appeal but I haven't known anyone else tho plays so I haven't been exposed to it properly.

Are there any of the forum regulars who might be convinced to volunteer a bit of time one afternoon (maybe Sunday the 4th at the Den?) to introduce some of us new players to playing WFB? I realize it's probably not much fun in the beginning to teach us how to play, but down the road when we're more experienced we may be able to give you a run for your money Wink

~N

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 pm

epengr wrote:To be honest, guys, I wouldn't waste your time learning how to play this week, when the rules will be all changing next week. There are some substanial changes, going from 40k to WFB will be almost a big a change as 7th to 8th WFB... almost).

Once the new rules are in peoples hands, there'll be lots of us looking for some nice slow learning games to figure it all out.

-David

I just finished making up a 2000 point 8th Ed army list for Chaos Dwarfs (using the old 6th ED Ravening Hordes info). I've also got a copy of the 8th ED rules and have my 'real' copy pre-ordered... so if anyone is keen to try a pre-8th edition release game using 8th Ed rules I'd be up for it.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Nicodemus wrote:
epengr wrote:To be honest, guys, I wouldn't waste your time learning how to play this week, when the rules will be all changing next week. There are some substanial changes, going from 40k to WFB will be almost a big a change as 7th to 8th WFB... almost).

-David

I just finished making up a 2000 point 8th Ed army list for Chaos Dwarfs (using the old 6th ED Ravening Hordes info). I've also got a copy of the 8th ED rules and have my 'real' copy pre-ordered... so if anyone is keen to try a pre-8th edition release game using 8th Ed rules I'd be up for it.

~N

l'll still stop in at the Den as I have to be in the city. if I get a chance I'll whip up a 2000pt army. Being successful at WHF is more than knowing the rules, ther is some skill involved and stratagy that rule book can't impart

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Stellar!! Thanks Ironwolf! What time works best for you? If I was there from around 1pm onward, would that fit with your timing? I could do earlier too if necessary.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:19 am

Nicodemus wrote:Stellar!! Thanks Ironwolf! What time works best for you? If I was there from around 1pm onward, would that fit with your timing? I could do earlier too if necessary.

~N

1PM would work great. cell is 281-5463

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ice on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:39 am

Hey guys, I'm brand new to fantasy! But have been playing 40k for 10 years now, and mord. for a little while as well. I'm familiar with the LoTR game as well! I've somewhat decided on Dark Elves as my first army!

ice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top