New Dark Elf book

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Dark Elf book

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:31 pm

So I got my Dark Elf book today and I am impressed. I still won't be building a DE army but looks like a big improvement without anything too overpowering. Cold one knights are going to hit like a sumbitch and EVERY army will include a hydra but it looks like a good mix of being fun, competitive, and getting a few new models to boot.

I still like my giant over the war hydra.... But a giant costs more as well.

I can't wait to school the shit out of Carson's Dark Elves when I get some dwarf's built up. They've really beefed up the CC abilities of the army but the high model cost of the elite troops (Still tough 3) will make them easy to shoot up and ignore. Speaking from a dwarf perspective that is. The good news is that from an immediate first glance it looks like they've done a great job of not overpowering this army and still giving DE players everything they were after.

Anyone else pick up a copy?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dark elves

Post  Ironwoulf on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 pm

I will be getting the DE book as I have the core of an army. I like the look of them and they have babes in the army.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jesus Christ!!!!!!

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 am

So what the hell! I was flipping through the book and the Dark Elves get a 35 point item that gives you a ward save based on the strength of the attack. A S5 hit would mean the DE player rolls a 1-5 to save and a 6 fails. a 6 always fails.

WTF!!!!! You can combine this with armor as well since it's a talisman (I think). I can't wait to hear every dark elf player try to actually issue challenges now instead of ducking them. I think this will cause much pain in the DE players throats as they try to form the word. "Ch... Ch.... Chullung.... Chelling.... Challenge?".

What a bullshit item. The good news is.... ah shit, there is no good news. Who is NOT going to take this item? Even against a S4 dude you get your 67% chance of a ward save!

How do the dwarfs not rip off this tech for their own runelords?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Dark Elf book

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:30 am

I was hoping you wouldn't catch that. Its great, don't know the last time one of my dark elf characters actually took a challenge and survived the first combat round. Take that Greater deamons and s7 dwarf lords.
Booyah!!!!

On another note, I wunder how many armies are you going to see with a Cauldron of Blood....its much improved with some cool effects but it seems way to vulnerable to any type of concerted shooting.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 am

Carson wrote:I was hoping you wouldn't catch that. Its great, don't know the last time one of my dark elf characters actually took a challenge and survived the first combat round. Take that Greater deamons and s7 dwarf lords.
Booyah!!!!

But why not just make it a piece of armor so you can't double up? I don't know how I feel about having a DE lord more durable in HtH then my Great Unclean one or Dwarf Lord.

Now I'll just have to sick my nurglings on him! Ey Pappi!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 pm

That reverse ward item is talked about A LOT! It's certainly a win-win 35 points!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

new DE

Post  Ironwoulf on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:11 pm

The ward save from the pendant of K won't make the lord a game winner by himself(like the GUO). Sure he will survive the attacks but will he be able to hit back with much effect. He is an elf and not a Chaos lord. Out number him and run him down

I lik ehte book, I don't think they broke the army although Black guard might be a bit cheap for stubborn and 2 attacks. I don't care much for the special champions, I think they will die quick before paying back the points.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:43 pm

robert gonda wrote:The ward save from the pendant of K won't make the lord a game winner by himself(like the GUO). Sure he will survive the attacks but will he be able to hit back with much effect. He is an elf and not a Chaos lord. Out number him and run him down

I lik ehte book, I don't think they broke the army although Black guard might be a bit cheap for stubborn and 2 attacks. I don't care much for the special champions, I think they will die quick before paying back the points.

You're right that the elf won't dominate the battlefield like a GUO or other big ass monster type, but really this guy CAN put out the hurt. Armed with a magic weapon he can really rock the stuff. Even just a halberd or GW and you've still got someone who can really stall a charge from an opponent like a Bret or a Chaos Knight charge by denying the combat resolution from the main dude, and then likely inflicted your own brand of elf hurt in return.

I'm not raging against the heavens over this or anything, but I really think it should've been a piece of magic armor instead of a talisman.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dark elf unit inclusion

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 pm

I am looking for feedback. Core of the army will be spearmen, crossbowmen, 1 unit dark riders, black guard. options are bolt throwers, hydra, witch elves, chariots. Are cold one knights worth taking? Are there other units I should consider for hard a punch?

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Cold one knights are fantastic. Hatred applies to the mount, so re-rolling to hits and S4 is great for the mount let alone the rider. Add a character and you've got a real punchy unit.

My only advice for a strong unit of Cav is the same advice I give to any player taking cav in their army, make sure they're not the only thing moving fast and threatening your opponent. Include chariots, dark riders, harpies, whatever. If there's only one "clear and present danger" to a gunline or magic army then expect the cold ones to be boot's 'n belts in no time, then the next threat and so on. If you've got dark riders in place to threaten some flanks or war machines plus a chariot poised to strike a single file unit of crossbowmen then you've forced your opponent to either divide his fire to minimize the threats or deal with your cold ones and possibly lose the game while your other units take the feet out from under him.

Carson did a bang up job of winning back in the day with multiple small units of dark riders and cold ones. You've just gotta make sure your opponent doesn't have the option of dealing with your super units one at a time and still win the game.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 pm

If your going with spearmen and blackguard then you are definitely more of a defensive type army. Good choices for this would be chariots and hydra.....a good counterattacking force. Witch elves and Coldone knights are more offensive. Witch elves are awesome but avoide taking them in large units.

Spreamen and black guard are a rock solid centre...very tough to break through. Crossbowmen now are something to really take seriously now....multiple armour piercing shots. even str3 can hurt when its -1 save and about 50 or so shots.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:51 pm

I think a Cauldron of Blood or two (they are no longer 0-1 now) is a must-have for every Dark Elf army. It is so versatile with what it can do.

Fighting crap? +1A should take care of them.
Heavy Cav got you down? Killing blow sounds like fun.
Getting shot? A 5+ ward save always helps.

For a truly fun time, try a 7 wide unit of Witch Elves, with champion and Assassin, both with Rune of Khaine joined by a Hag BSB with rune of Khaine and Hydra standard. That's at least 35 attacks in the first round. Make them KB attacks, and even discounting those attacks that roll 6's for poison, you'll still be scoring 5 or 6 killing blows that turn.

Or try the same trick with Black Guard with the Standard of Hag Graef to make them ASF.

SOOO many killing blows...

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Here is my list for the new book. no Hydra though!! Normal Assassins are awesome now! And having them as Core is just great.

Dreadlord 270
-Cold One
-Heavy Armour
-Sea Dragon Cloak
-Shield
-Sword of Might
-Black Amulet

Death Hag 225
-Cauldron of Blood
-Battle Standard

Sorceress 175
-Level 2
-Tomb of Furion
-Dispel Scroll

Assassin 171
-Extra Hand Weapon
-Rune of Khaine
-Touch of Death
-Cloak of Twilight

12 Corsairs 120
-led by the Sorceress

13 Repeater Crossbowmen 150
-Full Command

5 Dark Riders 99
-Standard

5 Dark Riders 131
-Herald and Musician
-Repeater Crossbows

7 Harpies 77

13 Witch Elves 180
-Full Command
-Banner of Murder

5 Cold One Knights 202
-Dread Knight
-Standard
-Standard of Slaughter

2 Reapers

2000 Points
73 Models
4PD 3DD

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:58 pm

3 dispel dice without the Ring of Hotek? At 25 points, there is no reason some unit champion shouldn't be equipped with that ring in every Dark Elf army.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:31 pm

since im new to the game, over a decade since ive played, you will notice that i probly will not be using items that should be in "every" army. cause of the fact im not a rule bug, i dont rememorize the items and stats of everything in the game, somethings will come with time, but im not the best at making a perfect army, or stratagy.
i bought the:
-spearhead starter (10 corsairs, 5 cold one knights, 1 hydra, 1 assassin, 1 lokhir, dreadlordX2, supreme sorceressX2)

with the following boosters:
-warrior regiment.
-witchking dragon.
-black ark corsairs.
-black guard.
-cold one charriot.
-repeater bolt thrower.
im sure i can make a pretty decent army for 2000 points with this. as well as change up my units for different battles.

James

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Hey guys, please limit your army lists to the appropriate section.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top