game in a game

View previous topic View next topic Go down

game in a game

Post  Mhael on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 am

During Dom and my game last night we tossed around the idea of playing a warband game two turns ahead of a regular game and at the same time, where after the warband game your regular list would recieve support from whatever survives the winning side of the warband game. Sounds like a cool idea but has it ever been tried and if so what pitfalls are there.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: game in a game

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

It does sound like a cool idea. It would be even better if there was a terrain feature that the warbands game was in, sort of like the recon units of the two armies happened to meet in the crypts below the battlefield and then once the warbands game is done the survivors can show up at one of the crypt entrances. This idea could expand to forests (just put a forest at the edge of the main battlefield to suggest a much larger forest extends beyond the table) or big buildings or really any type of terrain.

I'd be willing to try this out sometime. I'd need a refresher on the warbands rules but I think it would be fun.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm

During my time playing 40k I tossed around a similar idea....

The idea was that you have a smaller side battle that could effect a larger battle going on simultaneously. The idea I had in 40k was one side was attacking anothers stronghold for the main assault. The secondary battle was based around a long range artillery piece that the defender initially has control of...and can X fire "pie plates" at the main table at the start of every turn.

I never got a chance to try out the idea but I thought it would be a blast.

Xolan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Kieran and I have done this a few times. Out of the genarals compendim there is a senario where you assasinate a small band in the night. kill the hero and his army suffers a hero slot durring the game if he survives he gets a hero for free points. Just like the assassin gets away you get a free assassin but if killed no assassins in the game.
I also have the mighty empires set and would realy like to set up a campaign. It gives you various addvantages and strtagems to put a twist on games. It's as short or long as you want but requires everyone involved to play a game each period to keep in turn sequence.
Sound like anything you guys could get into?

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:11 pm

My eyes, my eyes I do believe I saw 40k in an earlier post. Damnit get the witch hunters, some fire, and faggotts.

William, Bob, and myself tried this out at my place...its a hoot. The winner of the warbands got an extra 250 in the game after.

We've tried mighty empires campaigns a couple of times. It takes 100% commitment from everyone. As soon as 1 person misses an event the campaign breaks down.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:05 pm

I think Andre is talking about running the warbands game at the same time (just 2 turns ahead) as the regular game so that the result of the warbands game is unknown as the regular game starts. I think that adds a bit more strategy because you have to be ready for the survivors of the warbands game to enter the table on turn 4 whether they are yours or your opponent's.

I'd be willing to do a campaign sometime, I think with the right people it could work out well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Lotsa great suggestions guys I have a set of rules for warband and the mighty campaign sounds cool. Is there a way to make it less points and hold a massive one day campaign with everyone getting five or six games?

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 am

There was a set of skirmish rules that did EXACTLY this a few years and one edition back. They can still be found on the web somewhere. There were literally hundreds of wierd little scenarios that had suggestions for this, like scouts vs pickets, or taking out a watchtower, or trying to stop a river crossing, or assassinating the general the night before the battle.

There was also a General's Compendium that had a large number of suggestions like that.

I really enjoyed playing a small skirmish game first and using it to determine who moves first, or a points bonus, or whatever.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top