Anvil of doom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anvil of doom

Post  Rockn J on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Just wondering on your guys take about this. I got off a stray chill wind on an anvil, because of lack of anything else to target. It actualy got through and randomised on to a guard who missed his saves. Lucky shot! anyone taking a casulty wouldn't get to shoot next turn. The anvil entry certainly says "stiking the anvil",and obviously its done in the shooting phase. Does the anvil get to ring? we just rolled off and things went my way but how do you guys see it?

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anvil of doom

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:47 pm

I think that it would still get to go since you hit a guard and not the runelord but I'm not sure. What's the exact wording of chill wind?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Magic missile, 12" range, D6 S4 hits, any unit taking casualties cannot shoot in its next turn.

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't think it's actually shooting. Teh anvil just happens to take an action in the shooting phase. Same as Tomb Kings aren't casting magic spells in the magic phase. My thoughts anyway.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm

the anvil is ok not worth the pointd unless you are playing for fun or in a 5k game. i would take missl troops over the anvil.

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Not really the point of the thread but I disagree Ben, the anvil is a great choice, especially if you take Thorek. It suddenly makes the dwarves much more manouverable and it dishes out a bunch of ranged attacks, plus the runelord adds quite a bit of magic defense. Guarded by a couple units of thunderers it is quite a force. I don't use it too much personally, (I love my lord a bit too much) but if I take the dwarfs in a future league it will definitely be a consideration when I'm building my army lists.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Timmy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 pm

well i think he knows my thoughts on this matter already but i agree its not shooting, thorek is clearly swinging a hammer not shooting.. my 2 cents

Timmy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I would say Rockn J is correct.

The Anvil is a Warmachine that uses it's effect in the shooting phase. The effects are even described as shooting. It can't "shoot" if it's in hand to hand and in everyway acts like a regular Warmachine.

Each blow struck on the anvil resonates just like a soundwave, or sonic boom. Just fancy descriptor for shooting attacks that target, don't forget.

We can create a paragraph to describe the action of how an instrument is used, but the net effect is that it's a Warmachine that has a shooting effect, in the shooting phase.

Don has cast his vote!!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:17 am

I don't think it's a warmachine. Some of it's powers do not even target enemy units.

It's an upgrade for a hero, so all bets are off unless the description says it's a warmachine. I still feel strongly that just because something happens in the shooting phase doesn't neccessarily mean it's a shooting attack proper. Just like my dope ass example of tomb kings.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 am

In the discription of the anvil it states, in game terms the anvil counts as a war machine,

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am

Exactly. It is a warmachine, and I could be mistaken, but without exception Warmachines shoot -- In the shooting phase. And I get what you're saying that it has an ability that doesn't target, but it has an ability that does target -- just like a magic missle.

And the TK example is pretty pooh-pooh! Razz

I still feel strongly that just because something happens in the shooting phase doesn't neccessarily mean it's a shooting attack proper.

I know exactly what you're saying, but I'm trying to add up not just that something happens in the shooting phase, but that it's a warmachine, effects like a magic missle, etc.

I checked the FAQ, and even did a google search and could find nothing on this topic...which seems odd.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 pm

It says it's a warmachine, which leads me to believe chill wind WOULD block it's use for a turn. I'm sure under the war machine descripton you'll find something about restrictions and stuff for shooting and spells which would lump the anvil into that lot I bet.

So fair enough! I didn't think it actually listed the warmachine thing in it's description.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

I have been bitten by the chill wind before and let me tell you it seems pretty ridiculous that an anvil with Thorek costing 505 could be rendered ineffective for an entire game by a magic army. Leave the poor dwarfes alone they already suffer too much to the influx of magics. For whom the bell tolls... let it ring. My game it was decided that it could not shoot and totally caused a massacre as thorek succumbed to flyers and rank and file backup...eventually, 600 points right there as he is too costly to not be the general. Also the damn thing cant move around the table so I would LOVE to see some sort of rule clean-up as to what the anvils restrictions are.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top