Blue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blue

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 am

So I was painting up a model for an online contest where the theme is "blue" and it occured to me that I've never painted blue on a model before! How is that even possible? I've managed to paint 3 armies over 10 years of being in the hobby and I've completely avoided painting one of the primary colors!

Does anyone have any tips for how to go about painting blue?

I'm painting a bretonnian lord on a hippogriff and I'm going to try to paint the feathers and body of the hippogriff black with a blue shine like this:

and then I want to paint the heraldry more of a silky royal blue and the metal I'm going to try for a blue steel look:

Any tips? I'll try to post some WIP pictures soon so you can all tell me what I'm doing wrong!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Blue steel... pffft... I prefer Magnum myself!

Blue is AWESOME to paint! For the Black/Blue crow look I would reccomend basing with about 1:1 Black and a darker blue. Maybe Necron abyss from the foundation range. Then You can wash or better yet glaze with sdome old fashioned black ink if you've got some. The will give you a near black base, but not quite all the way black. For wahtever reason myself (And others!) seem to think a straight black highlighted can look a little unnatural. Especially if you're not going the grey/white look but adding colour instead. That's my thoghts anyway.

Then I'd work in some bue of your choice into the black. I like regal blue, ultramarine blue, enchanted blue, any blue is nice and easy. For the extreme-o highlights I'd get to a straight blue then prehaps in spots go with blue mixed with a little bleached bone or P3 menoth whie highlight. Blue is one of my fav colours to work with as you can do anything you want to it. Highlight with any colour and it'll look OK. Shade with about anything, still fine! Love the blue!

Experiment and have fun. Can't go wrong!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Ok I was going to answer but Scott did so now I'm redundant Evil or Very Mad

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm

I like your suggestions Scott, I tried starting out with shadow grey and then used the black and blue washes to darken it up but that was taking way too long and I found myself trying to hurry it along by using too much wash at a time so I lost accuracy and ended up darkening it everywhere instead of just where I wanted it. I think I'll try your method instead and see what happens. I doubt I'll make the deadline for the contest but I think I'll stick with the blue theme anyway. Its an interesting challenge.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Well, I finished and here is the result:

Thanks for the tips on the blue Scott! The feathers didn't turn out quite as I had hoped but I'm satisfied. My favorite part on the model is the hippogriff's tail though, that turned out just the way I wanted it to. Now, on to some dryads!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Nathan, I'll sum up what I said over on WAMP-

-The hardest thing in applying directed highlights (Zenithal, whatever you want to call them) is knowing where to put them properly. Put even a few in the wrong spots and the whole model will look off. You've got a real eye for this stuff! Looks very good!

-I'd still like to see you work on the actual technique. This is easier to learn than the above. Thin paints, very little on the brush, and light strokes. Takes practice!

Very nice work. Your best by far! Looking forward to seeing the next mini you put yourself into!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks Scott! The highlight placement isn't actually that tricky, I usually paint near the window or with one really bright light source. After priming and base-coating I hold up the model and look at where the light hits and thats where the highlights go. As I'm painting if I see that the light is consistantly hitting somewhere that would be good for a highlight I put one there. It took a while to get the hang of it but by now it comes pretty easy. I think with this one it was easier since I was working with such a limited pallete. It helped me to see better where the highlights and shadows needed to go when everything was a similar color. I also did quite a bit of research online before starting this one, I looked at pictures of blue cloth, blue metal and black/blue birds. That helped get the highlights in my mind I guess.

As for the technique, I just can't bring myself to work with so little paint. I can see what I'm doing wrong but when I do water down my paint and try to use just a little it dries on my brush faster than I can paint and I end up drybrushing. I think if I could see what I'm doing wrong it would really help. We should set up a paint day sometime since I'm sure others would want some hands-on tips as well.

On an unrelated note I've taken to using a much bigger brush than I used to, this one was done exclusively with a #2 size windsor & newton series 7 brush (the best brush I've ever owned and totally worth the $15 I paid for it). It seems strange to me that I'm painting finer detail using a big brush now than I ever did using a tiny little brush a few years ago.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:42 pm

It's the point of the brush that matters, not so much the size. I use raphael #1, which is about the equivalent to a #2 WNs7 for sure.

Paint drying fast shouldn't be an issue. I'd love to get together for a paint day and show some peeps. Carson and I were taling about getting together for a day sooner than later, maybe we could do a paint day!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:39 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top