High Elf Army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

High Elf Army

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:47 pm

I've been trying to figure out a high elf army that appeals to me and this is what I've come up with:

Lord:
Prince on Griffon, star lance, armour of caledor, talesman of saphery - 450

Hero:
Lvl 2 mage w/ dispel scrolls
Lvl 2 mage w/ dispel scrolls

Core:
10 archers
10 archers

Special:
Lion Chariot
Lion Chariot
5 Dragon Princes w/ full command
11 white lions w/ full command
11 white lions w/ full command

Rare:
Repeater bolt thrower
Repeater bolt thrower
Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle

Models: 56
Power Dice: 6
Dispel Dice:4 (+4 scrolls)
Ranged shots: 20 bows, 2 bolt throwers
Units: 12

I've never used high elves and I rarely face them. Is this going to work? I'm going for a symmetric look with the chariots, prince and dragon princes in the center, with the ranged units to their flanks and the white lions on the very outside. The center combat units head for the enemy's center while the missile units pour fire into the rest of the enemy army. The eagles silence the opposing guns (or keep them busy) and the white lions hold the flanks of the army and protect the missile units. I have a decent amount of magic but not really enough to rely on it to do anything significant. The prince will hit like a ton of bricks and should be able to hold his own against most enemy characters with the item that negates enemy magic weapons.

It is a bit of a combination of all my other armies which is kind of what appeals to me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: High Elf Army

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm new to the High Elves but they are now my absolute favorite army. The Griffon looks fun, although they say inefficient for it's points. My list had 2 blocks of 18 White Lions for theme reasons and they are quite impressive. I ran them 6 wide and the stubborn ability is gold. ASF, strength 6 for elves? Very Happy

Here's what I don't like, don't understand and it makes the baby Jesus cry: 4 Dispel scrolls. I go to the HE sites and almost every list has scroll caddies out the yin-yang. Why is it that for a magic army, we're the only ones that insist on the obligatory 4 scrolls? I thought, since HE has a bonus to dispel, that there would be less of a reason for the scrolls. Since 8th edition brings only one scroll to the party, I've tried to exclude them. I've had about 6 games so far and have won them all, except a viscious slaughter at the hands of Dark Elves (it wasn't magic that lost me the game) and I brought a scroll to only one game -- and forgot it. Embarassed My two lvl 2's try for the drain magic unless of course I'm playing Dwarfs. Great Eagles are almost broken for their point cost and I love the Lion Chariots.

I can't wait for the new HE figs in the fall as the only models I don't like in the army are the White Lions. God, they're horrid.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Good point on the dispel scrolls, I should be thinking offense not defense! I'll switch those to better items. Maybe the seerstaff of saphery (choose spells) for one and the starwood staff (+1 to casting attempts) or even just a couple power stones and the silver wand. Heck, I could really shake it up and give one of them the reaver bow for a bit of nastyness.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I cried when I saw your core........

Don't ever overlook the basic spearmen. In all the games I've played with High Elves, it was the basic citizen levy that won the games for me. ASF in 3 ranks is gold. 6*3 is a tough unit to face and fairly cheap.

The White lion units of 11 plus mage I'm assuming, will crumble very easily against a ranked unit. Your getting 6 str 6 attacks with a static count of 2. This will not work against high stactic units. Again, 6*3 costs more but you'll defo get more bang for your buck.
Stubborn is great but its pretty east to fail a single ld 8 roll.

Lion chariots are awesome, like all chariots though pray for high impact hits.

Ditto what Don said on the dispel scrolls. I've pretty much stopped playing with scrolls or caddies and havn't missed them yet. Unless you go completely magic heavy don't expect much from magic, even 2 level 2's. Most armies can shrug off a couple of magic phases without too much effort.

Prince on Griffon is cool
Dragon princes seem to be the obligatory choice but don't expect to break many enemy units with high static res. They are really a great secondary strike unit.
Can't go wrong with bolt throwers or eagles

I don't think the army you drew up has the staying power to fight it out. Unless you break everyone in the first round of combat you'll be in for some serious hurt.

One thing people always forget is that while ASF is good is dosn't win games. You whiff and your left with a T3 elf with little to no armour.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 am

If I drop both mages I can toss in a unit of spearelves and expand the two units of white lions so I might try that. I think I'll use the list as is for the first few games though, just to get a feeling for the changes that will most benefit my playing style.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 am

yeah I'd try it out and see what feels right. If you want to go with the 2 mages try the gem of hoeth on your prince for that extra magic power or banner of sorcery for more power dice.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Ok, I'm really trying to figure out what kind of high elf army I want, here's my latest attempt:

Characters:
Korhil in a lion chariot - 270
Level 2 mage (Beasts) - 180 (magic items TBD)
Leve 2 mage (Life) - 175 (magic items TBD)

Core:
10 archers with standard and musician - 125

Special:
Lion chariot - 140
Lion chariot - 140
Lion chariot - 140
30 white lions w/ full command and magic banner - 530

Rare:
Bolt thrower - 100
Bolt thrower - 100
Eagle - 50
Eagle - 50

Total: 2500 points
Total models: 90
Total units: 14
Total ranged shots: 50 + 2 bolt throwers

I like the theme of the army, and its built so I can pretty easily switch it up for a Hoeth-themed list by changing the lion chariots to units of 5 silver helms with shields, champ and musician @ 139 points and the white lions for swordmasters. Korhil would become Eltharion on foot who would then join the unit of swordmasters.

What do you think?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:16 pm

I like it alot but you might have trouble with deployment for the archers to find targets.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:22 pm

I figure with them deploying 5x2 they should be able to fit quite easily in my deployment zone and with true line of sight I should be able to find targets for most of the units. With 5 units it doesn't really matter if one or two can't see anything, the rest can still make a dent in whatever presents itself.

Is 4 lion chariots too many or if I go with the Hoeth list are units of 5 silver helms viable?

Edit: I just realized that I don't have a BSB in this list. Is that something I should fix? I could trade the 2 Level 2's for one level 3 and maybe drop a chariot to gain the points for a noble with the bsb.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 pm

So with a little more thought I came up with this list:

Eltharion on foot - Lore of beasts
Level 4 archmage - Lore of Life, Forthaith's Robe, Jewel of the Dusk, Opal Amulet
Noble with battle standard, Dragon armour, Shield, White Sword, Talisman of Loec

10 archers w/ musician
10 archers w/ musician
10 archers w/ musician
25 spearmen w/ full command, banner of eternal flame

15 swordmasters w/ full command, razor standard
15 swordmasters w/ full command, banner of sorcery
5 Silverhelms w/ musician

2500 points

I'm going to need some horses to replace the crappy old silverhelm horses but that shouldn't be too tough, I'll probably use the horses from the new chariots so if anyone has any they aren't using I'll take them! What do you think?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Modified the list again:

Eltharion on foot - Lore of Beasts
Level 4 Archmage w/ Starwood Staff - Lore of Life
Noble w/ Battle Standard - Dragon Armour, Shield, White Sword
18 Archers w/ Standard, Musician - Banner of Eternal Flame
42 Spearmen w/ Full Command
14 Swordmasters w/ Full Command - Razor Standard
14 Swordmasters w/ Full Command - Banner of Sorcery
10 Silverhelms w/ Musician, Standard
5 Dragon Princes w/ Musician
5 Dragon Princes w/ Musician

2498 points
Models: 111 Units: 7 Banners: 6 including BSB
Levels of Magic: 6, +5 to cast/dispel with archmage, +D3 power dice per turn
Bow Shots: 18 flaming shots

I think this is the list I'm going to go with, now I just need to decide on a color scheme. Does Hoeth have a set color scheme?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 am

Assembled 5 of the new plastic dragon princes last night and man are they detailed models! I think I am going to have a hard time painting them with all the little spikey bits and overlapping details. Not sure how I'm going to fit a brush into some of those spots. I think I pretty much have all the models that I need now to build this army other than 4 chariot horses (Carson?) and a bunch of blank tall shields (need 25 or so more).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Ah geez, forgot about that....bring em next time I'm in.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 am

I've got most of the models for this army assembled and I've had a game with it and lost but I still like the list. I am going to start painting it now but I am unsure how I should proceed. There are a few new high-elf armies in town and I don't want to copy anyone's color scheme inadvertantly. Could anyone who has a high elf army or is planning on building one post their color scheme here? I was thinking of going with white as the primary color with red accents and primarily gold metals with grey stone and green grass bases. I have some alternatives thought up too so if this is too similar to someone else I can always change it.

(edit: I'm still looking for the chariot horses Carson, I'm not in any hurry though)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey Nathan your scheme sounds pretty cool. I myself am doing dark blue cloth, grey accent, silver armour gold accent on my elf core units. Then Phoenix guard are dark red, with bronze and some silver armour. And my white lions I have an almost glowing gold overtop of white for the armour, looks almost angelic, which is kinda neat. And for my bases I'm doing like a white sand look, like the beaches of ulthuan type of thing so the bases won't clash at all.

I think as long as bases look different the armies will never look the same, so with that unique green basing you do your army will probably just look like your army, however you paint it.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm doing mine in a deep red primary with white as an accent. I'm trying to think of a way to make the bases in a tall grass theme, almost like wheat. Can't really decide on the bases though.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:37 pm

The new ones I'm working on are dark yellow robes with blue sashes etc.

Don, order some silflor grass tuft's !

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 pm

The new ones I'm working on are dark yellow robes with blue sashes etc.

Sounds intriguing.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to go with the white and red then. It might be kinda similar to your's Don but hopefully the bases will make the difference. Plus I'm sure your's will be much nicer than mine so there will be no mix-ups there. I'll try knock out a few test models in the next couple of weeks.

Carson those yellow and blue elves sound interesting and Nathan A. I can't wait to see your white lions and phoenix guard, they sound pretty cool.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top