Yeoman Warden
1 Trebuchet

Last edited by Pud on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pud's Bretonnian Army

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:40 am

It's cool to see you use the Hippogryph! I have very little experience with the Brett's so Nathan should be along any moment...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 am

The grail vow is great on your two independant characters, it ensures you never fail a charge due to fear and you'll never panic either. It is actually less useful on your hippogriff character since he already causes terror so he doesn't need the vow for fear protection. If you want to use the points elsewhere you can always drop his vow.

As for the core, I like your choices. You should add 2 knights errant so you have a full lance formation of 9. The bowmen don't need armour and the standard is only useful if you are using a rule where only units with banners can capture an objective or table quarter. Right there you have 22 points (a knight). The men at arms are useful but don't expect good things from them. I would definitely give your damsel a horse and put her into a unit of knights. Not only will she be more protected, she will also give the unit magic resistance 1. Other than that I think its a solid, balanced list.

Edit: As for tactics, I'd say pair a unit of knights of the realm with the grail knights and the other unit with the knights errant and use them to charge together into enemy units. The knights errant are immune to fear and terror on the charge and the grail knights are immune to psychology so even if your knights of the realm fail to charge due to fear, you will still be getting in with at least one unit so you don't need to worry as much about being charged yourself.

The pegasus knights are great for making flank charges and protecting your own flanks. Remember that they have 360 degree line of sight so put them where they have options to charge in any direction. They are your ultimate disruption tool so use them.

The men at arms should be used as a deterrant against the enemy's weaker units or to protect the trebuchet and the bowmen should just be used as a distraction. I've never used a trebuchet but as with all war machines it should be used to try to soften up the enemy before your knights sweep them off the table, if you manage to panic a unit or two all the better.

The two flying characters can be used however you see fit, but remember that they are a big point investment so make sure you use them. Always have them in a position where they are threatening a charge or causing a terror test (hippogriff). Don't be afraid to lose the pegasus rider, he is just a hero, but don't throw him away either. The hippogriff-riding lord has the US to bust ranks so use him to charge the flanks of infantry units that you are charging in the front with the knights.

Last edited by nathanr on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some more tips)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm

quite a good list. Just remember to wait for the proper charge, ie. never a single lance.

You could probably drop the damsel unless your loading her with a scroll or two. The brets are one of the only armies that can REALLY benefit from a scroll or two in the first couple of turns.

Use your men at arms and archers to out deploy your opponent and grab table quarters. Men at arms can even be used as a follow through unit to provide some static res to bogged down lances.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Damsel on foot due to line of sight as she ends up in the second row with the knights, on foot to join either the crew of the trebuchet or men-at-arms and since she turned into a bear and attacked a Hydra she does all right in that unit.

Lord with no Grail vow can still charge all as long as he is ridding his mount? if so will change that back to a knight vow.

and other then that will look at numbers and see if i can switch to 9 and 9 for the knights errant.

cheers guys thanks

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Yep, if the mount causes terror then so does the model riding it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:56 am

so made some changes and now a total of 31 knights and made a second list for later that will add 5 mounted yeoman, enjoying what i am learning and playing.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top