Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks guys! I just hope I can finish in time. Each knight takes a full evening of painting at least and I still have 3 more to go along with 15 bowmen and a mounted wizard. I'll keep posting pictures as I go.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 pm

The Grail Knights are all done along with the damsel. I'll post pictures tonight hopefully. Now I just have to paint up 15 peasant bowmen. That will be a tedious process but it shouldn't take too long and the achievement of having a fully painted army will motivate me to finish.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:44 pm

C'mon Nathan, you can do it. Take a deep breath as once the base colours are down the rest is downhill.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am

I know I said I'd try to post some pics last night but instead of painting I spent the evening at the hospital. My 22 week pregnant wife fell and we went in to make sure everything was ok with the baby. 3 1/2 hours later we found out that she and the baby are ok. Made for a late night and I didn't get any painting done. I think I'm still on track to finish though, it might be a long night of painting on Saturday though instead of Rock Band at Scott's.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 am

Well you certainly have your priorities straight! Glad to hear the wife and baby are o.k.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Geez Nathan, I told you before, stop beating the wife. Very Happy

glad to hear everything was O.K.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Holy smokes Nathan, glad everything is OK.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:19 pm

These are long overdue and most of you have already seen the finished army but I figured I should post the pictures that I promised. They are a bit over-exposed and photoshop can only do so much but I'm too lazy to re-take them so you'll have to use your imaginations for some of them:

All the knights:

Knights of the realm + Battle Standard Bearer

Knights of the realm

Knights Errant

Grail Knights

Pegasus Knight group 1

Pegasus Knight group 2

Pegasus Knight group 3

Grail Reliquae and Grail Pilgrims

Bowmen

The General

Hero - This one was painted by Scott as one of his last commission jobs, I figured I should get him to paint me a model before he got out of the "paint for other people" game. Thanks Scott!

Its been a long process (over a year) but I'm happy to say that the army is done. I'll probably end up basing my brother's bretonnian army to match so that some of the units can be interchanged. Other than that I don't have any plans to expand this one. If I never have to paint another Bretonnian knight I will be happy!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm

That's a great accomplishment and a great army. Way to go! What's next?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't have any more big plans just yet. I think I'm going to finish re-basing my dwarf army and then try to finish up some of the many unpainted models I have for my dwarfs and wood elves before I try starting something new. My brother has the startings of an Orc and Goblin army so I may help him paint a few of those models if I get bored with dwarfs and elves.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:17 am

Great looking army Nathan! All those banners looked great huddled behind my Daemons. Kazaam!

Truly excellent idea about the Pegasus Knights. Now keep going with another army.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:05 am

Yep, you did capture pretty much every banner I had. Be warned though, I've re-done my list and it is much more dangerous now. It would probably not score well with the composition rules that Carson had though, probably a 2 or 3/10 but it is more along the lines of the army that I wanted when I started this crazy project!

Now keep going with another army.

That won't be happening for quite some time! The only other armies that I might consider trying out are Empire or High Elves but I don't have the motivation or money to build a new army right now. I think now is a good time to brush off some of the many unpainted minis I have sitting in shoeboxes. My to-do list as it stands now is this:

- 10 thunderers
- 10 wardancers
- spellsinger
- 10 old bugmans ranger models
- 2 or 3 ironbreakers to finish off the unit
- 2 bolt throwers to bring the total up to 4
- 5-10 glade riders - I hate painting these models and they really aren't very good in games but I have them and I should really paint them.
- A couple random dwarf characters, I have enough dwarf characters already to make a 10,000 point army but I love the little guys

And of course I need to finish re-basing my dwarf army which will take forever as well. First off though I'm going to paint up a few avatars of war models that I picked up. Stay tuned for WIP shots in the coming weeks. I'm going to try making a diorama with a couple of them, something I have never tried before. Along those lines there might be a few things that I'm going to be looking for. I'll post my wants in the appropriate spot.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Ha, never say never. I'm picking up some High Elves! It will probably take me a long time before I get them into fighting shape but so much for my resolution to paint the models I have before starting something new. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress as I start this new army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 pm

If you want the dragon kit I have it new in the box.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm

I'll wait a bit on that one, I think I'm just going to put together a small force to start with and then build on it a bit here and there. I actually think that I'm going to go with a griffon for my lord, you never see them and I think it would be a nice change. Plus I've always wanted to paint one.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

I also have a Griffon, NIB.

I think I have a problem.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Well, the first step is admitting it!

I'll be busy stripping the paint off of the models that I'm buying and getting them all re-assembled and painted, I probably won't be ready for more anytime soon, you'll be my first stop though!

I'm trying to think up a unique color scheme for this army. I don't want it to look like the typical blue and white army. I was thinking mostly black with white trimming and gold armour but I'm not sure if that would look too dark-elfy. Maybe if I used white marble-type bases it would work ok. For the gems I'd probably use either red or black.

Once I get my hands on them I'll paint up a quick test model and you can all tear into it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 pm

NATHAN! This is a great time for you to try the vallejo paints out.

With a more historical slant the colors are more subdued than the game colors are. You should consider picking up some flames of war paint sets. I think it'll help you produce a very unique elf army.

I also have 4 or 5 FoW paint sets kicking around. New, unopened.

I really do think I may have a problem.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Cool, I may have to give them a try. I've sorta held myself to a fairly limited pallet for all my armies and stick to color combos that I know work for me but I think it might be holding me back a bit since I'm not ever trying anything new.

On a similar but mostly unrelated note, what do you guys use for stripping paint? I've never done it but I think I'm going to have to try with some of the used models that I'm picking up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Metal, I use paint remover, not paint thinner. For plastic, go to Canadian Tire and buy "simple green". Works very well. Oh ya', and your wife's toothbrush for scrubbing. Razz

Make sure the drain plug is in the sink when you rinse these figs! I have a few Chaos champs that lost their swords. Embarassed

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Does simple green not work on metal?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm

They say it does, although I have never tried. It's cheap and you can practically drink it (but don't Very Happy )

I'll try it right this instant and let you know tomorrow!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Ok, simple green. Then what do you do, submerge them overnight or for a few hours or does it work to just scrub them with it? Do you dilute it or just use it straight from the bottle?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Straight from the bottle, and submerge them. I leave them over night (at least), but I had Bloodletters in a jug for a few weeks! I then put a plastic strainer in the sink, pour the figs into the strainer while the green washes away and get scrubbing. The scrubbing is an overstatement as you're just going through the motions and it's more time than effort. I received 50 Bloodletters in the mail and they were THICK with industrial shiny red paint (always get pictures in a trade Mad ) and some were covered in a red primer. I let them sit there for a few days and most of everything came right off. Some of the figs came apart at the glue joints, others did not. It seems to remove the metallic paints easier, but it's enviro friendly so green peace isn't at your door.

Did you pick up Ben's HE's?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Yep, Ben's. I don't have them yet, but hopefully soon. I also have a cousin that picked up a batallion box a while back but he hasn't even opened it so I'll probably take that off his hands as well, plus I have a few odds and ends laying around gathering dust. Between all that I should have enough to make a fairly big army for not too much money.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top