Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

Really cool work on the knight bases I dig the cobbled stone look.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks! You'll see them close up this friday as part of my brother's Brettonian army!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 am

This is the Holy Reliquae (if you have seen the movie Kingdom of Heaven its like that big gold cross the army of Jerusalem lugs around but not made out of gold) and the battle monks. I still have 6 more of these to go and the guy I did last month goes in here too.

The lighting is pretty harsh in these pictures and washes out a lot of the detail but that may be a good thing since it washes out some of the blemishes too.

Next month I'm going to be painting up my first unit of pegasus knights which I've modelled as angels. I'm pretty happy with my conversion work on these models and hopefully I can do them justice with a good paint job. I'll post WIP pictures a bit later in the month.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Looks like you've got a great start there, Cross in the unit is a cool idea. My only thoughts are maybe a smaller scale cross.

Great work on the bases!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Here are the first 3 "Pegasus Knights" for my army. Let me know what you think!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:41 pm

that is fantastic...awesome work!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I was a bit worried that this conversion would not work at all and I'd be stuck with a bunch of witch elves and pegasus wings AND the whole concept of the army would be out the window. As it stands I am now really excited to get this army finished and onto the table!

Unfortunately after painting a dragon and another model for painting competitions this month I had no steam left to paint these guys up. I got their bases painted but that is about it. I guess I'll take the 3 for partially painted for this month and hopefully do more next time. I'd rather take my time than rush through and mess them up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am

Here is the first of 9 "pegasus knights". I think I like the paint scheme but any suggestions would be welcome.

This guy can be used as a standard bearer due to the ruined tapestry on the wall. The musician will have a wrecked trumpet on its base. That way I don't have to use them as command if I don't want to but it is still WYSWYG as long as I notify my opponent beforehand.

From start to finish (including assembly) this one took me 15-20 hours. It is going to take me forever to paint them all at this rate! On the upside I think I've got this picture-taking thing down finally!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 pm

awesome work nathan, love the base and tapestry. How did the wing attachment workout?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 am

It's slick as a fresh cow pattie. Very nice conversion. Putting my most critical paint critical judging hat of critcal-ness I would say that the last stages of highlighting on the wings could've benifited from a little more attention. They look drybrushed on, and if you took the time (A looooooooong time to do it by hand, 2hrs maybe) to do them in a couple steps they would look stupifyingly good. I am not hackin' on it, it's great. The conversion is smooth and the base is fantastic. Especially like the thought you put into doing the banner and musician stuff. Love it, wish I had thought of it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 14, 2009 7:08 am

I agree with you on the wings Scott. One side of one of the wings I spent 2-3 hours on and then I just said "this is rediculous" and drybrushed the other one and showed them both to my wife and asked which one she thought looked better. She said she couldn't tell but if she had to pick she picked the one that was drybrushed and that sealed the deal. like I said, I have 9 of these to paint so I had to draw the line somewhere.

Carson the wings are not too bad to assemble, I spent an evening with a dremel to do 3 models though. It is a bit nerve-wracking since I don't have any extras!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 am

This looks great Nathan! Definatly thinking outside the box.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:54 am

Well, I've got my entire army assembled as of last night, I still have to add banners and musical instruments to some of the pegasus knight angels' bases but I'll get to that once I start painting them. On that note, does anyone have any spare banner or musician bits? I'm looking for torn banners such as you would find in many of the "evil" armies, blank ones would be best. I can make my own out of greenstuff but ready-made ones are easier.

I'll post pictures soon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:31 pm

I have about 4700 banners. How many do you need?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Two. I'd like one to be on a pole that I can attach to the base somehow, the other will hang on a wall like the one that I've already done.

I'd also like two musical instruments, probably trumpets but drums or other musical instruments would work as well. They have to be able to detach from the rest of the model fairly easily though as I want them to be discarded on the base.

I'm not in that big of a rush for any of them as long as nobody has any reservations about playing me without the standards and instruments to show that the unit has them. I am hoping to be completely finished the army by the end of August though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll see what I can do. pm me your address.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Here's my General all painted up. This will be my entry for the Character challenge as well.

Thoughts & tips? I can still go back and touch it up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Nathan, you make me sick. Super high-five for the effort on the bases alone. Very creative and think the stained glass window is the perfect touch.

What's the recipe for the skin?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks Don, the skin is a Dwarf Bronze base then watered-down shining gold then watered-down burnished gold and then a final edge highlight of mithril silver. The shadows are also darkened with Devlan Mud in many layers.

The gold on the spear is a bit different. I used a base of mithril silver and then put a red wash over it a few times, then Devlan mud, then really watered down gold so it just barely shows up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:42 am

I got some painting done last night and finished off the rest of the pegasus knight angels. All I have left to paint in this army is 6 grail pilgrims (then whatever I decide to add to bump up to 2200 points.)

On that note, how many people would cry "CHEESE!!!1!" if I threw in a unit of 5 grail knights with a damsel scroll caddy? I did some figuring last night and I can fit them in if I drop some magic stuff and the banners and musicians on the pegasus knight units.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:15 pm

I think I'll drop a unit of Pegasus knights for a unit of 15 skirmishing bowmen, then drop some magic points to add the grail knights and damsel. I'm in the process of painting up a test model for the grail knights, I'll post it when it is finished. I'm going with a black and yellow color scheme on them, should I paint them all the same like the rest of my knightly units or should I mix it up a bit and paint each one differently?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:33 pm

I'd say for Grail knights paint each one differently.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Here are the first two grail knights. I painted them differently but with the same colors. The bases are greenstuffed but not yet sanded or painted. I'll do that before I finish the rest. The pictures are taken with my brand new light rig!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Nice work, your camera is awesome! That's gonna be a nice army Nathan.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 pm

love the checker pattern on the last knight. Figure prints on the greenstuff is a nice touch Very Happy

It will be a kickass lookin unit. Great pictures, the light tent and camera seem top notch.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top