Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 am

So the army challenge is right around the corner. I decided to use this opportunity to actually follow through on an army idea that I had.

The Warhammer world has daemons right? Well I figured that where there are Daemons there's got to be Angels to balance them out. Upon researching I found a couple references way back in GW's history to Demons of Light or Order who mostly stay out of the affairs of the Warhammer World but occasionally step in when Chaos oversteps their bounds. I figured that with our league having so many daemon armies that might just require an intervention! My army is based on the bretonian army list because of their easy access to good flying units/characters as well as the theme of a crusading army. The idea is this: A crusading force of knights and warrior monks backed up by the daemons of order (angels). The characters will be Angels (count as a character mounted on a royal pegasus), the core choices will be knights of the realm (Knights Templar, Knights Hospitalier and Teutonic Knights), and the special units will be Seraphim (count as pegasus knights) and Battle pilgrims/warrior monks carrying the holy reliquae (grail reliquae). This army is going to be all about speed and close combat (no magic, no shooting!). It will probably not be a very competitive list, but I'm mostly making it as a conversion and painting project. Stay tuned for August 1st and the start of the army challenge!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nathan's Army Challenge Blog

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:47 am

All right, can't wait!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Cool idea, but I wouldn't worry about the competitive part.......thier brets!

Can't wait to see your idea take shape.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Ok, so I'm starting off this month with a bit of housecleaning. I'm trying to finish painting as many of my wood elves as I can so that I can focus on this new army (also to give me a bit of time before I have to buy new models). I may still get to my Brets before the month is over, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to take a wild card and enter my wood elves this month. (plus I want to get the extra points for having a fully painted army in the league). I'll post pictures as soon as I get them painted.

edit: It turns out I got my models for the month all painted up. I'll post pictures tomorrow. It turns out Bretonnian knights take a long time to paint. I only did 3 this month, next month is 8... affraid

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Here are the pictures of the first 3 knights for the new army. The red guy in the middle is my battle standard bearer while the other two are knight of the realm standard bearers. I'm going to have 3 units of knights, each with the heraldry of a knightly order from the crusades. The yellow-crossed one is a teutonic knight while the red-crossed one is a knight templar. The other unit will be black with a white cross representing the knights hospitalier. Enjoy.

They aren't based yet but I am waiting to base the whole army at once. I just need to decide how I'm going to do it first.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:04 am

Love the mud! Those boys have been on the trail for weeks!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Good Work Nathan, What kind of baseing are you thinking of?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm thinking some sort of broken cobblestones with weeds etc growing up around them for the knights. The flyers' bases will be a bit more elaborate with the ruins of an old chapel or shrine. I want each unit's bases to flow together so I'll do them once I have a whole unit completed. My actual work will probably fall far short of my vision but thats the plan!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:25 pm

This month I'm painting 8 knights! I only have 4 on hand right now, so I'll have to buy a box, but I have no money so I'll start basecoating the ones I have now. Hopefully I'll get some early birthday money or something so I can get the rest in time to paint. I'll also come up with a way to base the knights this month so nobody will have any excuse not to vote for me!

edit: I've bought another box of knights, and have started on the ones I had before. I based them too! I'll post pictures when I'm a bit closer to done so everyone can see. On an unrelated note, does anyone have 3 bret knights that I could buy? I only need 3 more and I don't really want to buy another box of 8.

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : progress update)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:27 am

So it turns out knights take a long time to paint. I only have 4 done and I need to get to 8. I think I'm going to admit defeat this month and switch to getting my megabattle force in order. I'll take a wildcardand submit my High King model for your scrutiny (It has been a long-term project but I just finished it this month so I think it should be allowed). I'll also post pictures of the knights that I do have done once I get around to taking them!

Next month I'll submit the full 8 bret knights that I promised for this month, then after that 7 more for November! On that note, does anyone have 3 bretonnian knight models that I can buy/trade for?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 am

As I anticipated I do not have my knights painted (nor will I in the next 2 days!) so I'm taking a wild card this month. I had planned on posting pictures of the Dwarf King I finished off this month but I am having troubles with SaskTel and won't have internet (or TV) at home until Wednesday. If you guys can wait until then to start up the poll for September I might be able to get a picture posted but otherwise I'll just take the 4 and you can all see my handiwork for yourselves at the MEGABATTLE!

Edit: for those of you who are wondering how I managed to keep posting even though I claim I have no internet, I am at work. Most of my posting is done at work due to my poor work ethic and short attention span... Hey look a bird!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Here are my knights for October. I also have the 3 knights that I painted up last month in the pictures because I have now based them. Next month I'll finish up the knights with 7 more and then move on to either a character or some battle pilgrims. Enjoy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Great work, nice bases. Keep it up!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Looking good Nathan! did you use greestuff for the cobblestones or card?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 pm

I used greenstuff, it is way less labour-intensive that way!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 am

Ok, I managed some progress for this month but I'm still a long way off. I was getting a bit tired of painting white so I decided to do something a little different with the last unit of knights... black! I have now found that it is quite hard to paint a realistic looking black without it looking grey or just basecoated. After some experimenting I attempted it on a knight. I'm pleased with the result:

One down, 5 to go! I also got some conversion work done in the form of my lord. I still need to find a suitable spear for him but I'm liking how he is turning out:

There is still some work to be done there but it is coming.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:53 am

Cool beans, I look forward to seeing your lord. How many knights total in your army?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:10 am

2 units of 6, 1 unit of 5 (thats where the BSB goes). Then I'll have 3 units of 3 pegasus knights (modelled as angels) and a big unit of grail pilgrims (6x5) with the grail reliquae. There will be 2 angel-type characters (1 lord and 1 hero on royal pegasi). I guess I'll have to model something for when they get their mounts cut out from under them although hopefully my opponents will forget about that possibility!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14 am

I like what you're doing here, Nathan. I have a bunch of Chaos Knights looking for an ass-kicking...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am

They may have to look somewhere else, but I'll give it a shot. At the very least their arms might get tired from hacking through so many brettonians!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:43 pm

Well, here are the last of the knights. I didn't spend as much time on them as I would have liked and I might go back and do some touchups later if I have time, but for the sake of the competition they are done.

Next month is the start of the Battle Pilgrims...

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 pm

I am finding it really hard to get back onto the painting train! I have all the components for my army ready to go, but I can't decide what to paint next! The obvious choice is the unit of grail pilgrims but I am intimidated by the sheer number of models. Everything else needs a lot of greenstuff/conversion work that I have been putting off because my skills with greenstuff seem to be lacking. I have big ideas but I am having trouble pulling them off. I may have to use my final wild card this month!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:10 pm

You can do it!

When I find I am in a rut I usually just start assembling, basing and doing crap like drybrushing chainmail. It doesn't have to be inspired work for those type of things!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

I've got my submission for the month started, but just barely. Mostly I've flailed around with greenstuff (still haven't gotten the hang of that stuff) and basecoated a grail reliquae and 18 pilgrims. I also started to paint their bases but with only 3 days to go it doesn't look like I'm going to make it. I might have to cheat and say that the confessor model that I included in the unit just to add variety is actually a level 2 wizard!

Stay tuned, this is going to be close...

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 am

So I have my February guys done but my camera has been giving me some grief, I'll try to take pictures again tonight. I also notice that Scott and Carson have yet to post pictures so I'm not too concerned yet. We should put a deadline on this though, say Friday at midnight, then the voting can start.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top