Re: Scott Radoms Army Challenge Dwarf Blog

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Yeppers. Order out!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Lord

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Well I got this guy done. I'll point him out as a regular thane for the army challenge but I'm done my 200 for Nov. Sweet!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MaxMini Dwarf hero

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:17 pm

I got my two copies of this fig from MaxMini....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=29898

I love the fig, but I can't imagine it'll be available for long. The resemblance to GW artwork (which I love) is too similar.

If you've ever checked out some of the artwork that was mostly done for the card game their is a different direction that they went with the dwarfs. The artwork has the dwarf looking even more armored then the ironbreaker models, with very elaborate armor. I wish GW had put that concept into some new ironbreaker models or made more character models following the direction in that artwork. As it is now the selection for character models for me is really just the one classic Lord leaning on an axe (the one I painted above) and the BsB classic fig. I really don't care for to many of the other ones. They just don't look DANGEROUS at all. The chief offender being the dude with the eyepatch and a pistol. That's my brief rant.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scott vs The MaxMini Dwarf Hero

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Okay so I saw a post on the CMoN boards for a new fig from a small company out of Poland Called MaxMini. The fig looked awesome, and I had to have it. I felt obliged to act fast because as many have pointed out the fig bears an INCREDIBLE likeness to some GW artwork. I am not getting into any copyright debates or even accusing the company of knowingly sculpting it so similarily... I just felt that I wanted the mini badly enough that I may as well stay one step ahead of GW legal, just in case.

I ordered two of these mini's and after shipping they came to my door in about one weeks time for the price of 33 bucks and change CDN. So far so good. I easily felt they were worth the price. BONUS.... I may have misread the add in my haste to buy this model I don't know that I read that it came with an option for two weapons or one weapon and shield. Cool. I opted for the shield option. This model is resin, and the detail is sharp. It cleaned up well with a little filing, and just needed a shot of super glue on the shield to fill a SLIGHT deficiency in the mold. Not enough resin in one of the two shields.

The model is in two pieces and the shield hand doesn't fit that well. It looks like they had to make a small sacrifice in the fit of the shield hand to better accomadate the two hand weapon. No biggy as someone of my sculpting skills can easily overcome the obstacle (Translation: Nobody see's the wrist join when the shield fits over top). I just used a little two part 5 min epoxy -'cause pinnin' is for sucka's!- and away we go.

So this is what it looks like after the basics. I made a small mound of green stuff, coated it in white glue and my base mix of 1:1 coarse/fine sand. Primer is Armory Black Primer and the base is painted Vallejo SS Cam Black-Brown, then drybrushed Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey followed by Khemri Brown. Then it's heavily washed with good 'ole Devlan mud. So far I think the my work is on par with getting a 9/10 on CMoN or higher! Now on to step 2: Screwing it up!

So after that I basecoated the model with three thin coats of the old Matt Sterbentz 1:1 Black/Boltgun Metal creation CHAOS METAL! I followed his advice and mixed a jar of it up, and haven't looked back. Check out his metalic link article http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/744 if you haven't already!

So far, so good. I think Now I am on par for that 7/10 I have been hoping for! So now I am off to try and beat my son into sleep mode. Then I am off to pray to the God of "More Contrast" and hit this baby with both barrels in the morning before work. You take care internet, I'll see you in the morning....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 am

Okay so I tried working the metals up. First with a boltgun metal, pretty much everywhere except the deepest recesses. Followed by Chainmail/boltgun 1:1 in a slightly more selective application. Then staright chainmail getting even more selective and mithril silver even more selective yet. All steps were done in about 3 layers of thin paint. So... I figure this looks OK, but I am going to stab it with a couple thin layers of the GW Badab Black wash, then work just the extreme highlights with chainmail and mithril silver. How's it coming? Just because I am pleased doesn't mean you need to be. Let me know!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:40 am

It is really tough to tell when the whole model is silver. It looks good, but without some other colors in there it doesn't look great yet. I think if I were to see it up close in person I'd be able to see the different layers and the more subtle highlights but in the pictures it is hard to tell what shadows and highlights are painted and which ones are just caused by the actual lighting. I think the lightest highlight needs to be even lighter than mithril silver, can you add some white to a metallic? I think it will be more obvious as you add in the other colors, I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy finished!

I really like the sculpt of this model too, everything except his axe. It needs to be bigger and less wimpy-looking!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Alright, so I washed down the mini, twice with black and once with thinned blue. Ta-daaaa

So far it looks okay. Now to contrast it up. The area I picked to highlight I gave about 2 thin coats of chainmail and about the same of mithril silver. Then I black washed down the shaded areas to try for that contrast thingy....

So that's where I am at. I might leave it for a day or so to pool and ideas/advice then tackle the alternate colors of brass/gold for the sections of the armor to be done that way. Or I might steamroller through and hop efor the best. Thanks to everyone so far.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:44 am

In your last picture I can definately see the contrast now. I still think that it needs a tiny touch of a really bright silver somewhere, almost white but that is just me. I also think the chainmail needs a few more shadows/highlights. Right now it looks like it is all about the same shade. I'd try a bit thicker wash in the recesses around the plate armour where it would be in shadow and a tiny bit of highlighting in the raised area in the center. I think that all my suggestions are aimed at making it look like the light is hitting it from a certain direction, if that isn't what you want then ignore all of it!

It is already far better than I can do, but that doesn't keep me from expecting more from you!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 am

I love painting with metals and have used them quite a bit. I use a recipe now for silver and gold/brass I think it perfect, but that's my co,or blinded opinion.

That being said, I also know that it's really, really hard for the metals to show up properly on photos. Even the Khorne stuff Ive done for the 40K side looks super bright gold in the pictures, but it's actually quite dull in person.

Darn photos!

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 am

It's looks a little better in person. My pics are ass horrible, but I will give it a little more, just fro you Nathan (Check your PM's retard!).

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Okay so I tried to work the highlights on the steel areas a little more. I think they're a step forwad. I also did the goldish trim. After looking at the pics I thought they were still pretty flat so i went over a few places with some gold/mithril silver to try and enhance ye olde contrast. Don't think it worked that well.

So this rough pic is the fig sans the last highlight area of gold/silver mix I did. Next one'll be better, but I am going to move forward on this fig.
I finished of the shield. It's the same blue as the rest of the army.

Now I gotta get the cloak, beard, and small details started.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:51 pm

I really like your Dwarfs, these are spectacular, wish mine looked as good.
Cheers

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Clearly you are a man of impeccable taste and virtue.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:23 pm

This is going to be one of those armies that look awesome on a gaming table. Pretty cool.

I can't seem to bring myself to do it as around here you get cut with broken glass for having figs that aren't GW, but I really like that you go off the rail and include figs simply because they look great. Scott, I like that you are very serious about taking the game "not too seriously"...if that makes any sense.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Ones taste becomes pronoun with age. Tis what I try telling my wife and kids, although they do not always believe me. I still try though. I picked up the new Avatar beastman recently to add to my beasty army. Hope I can come close to the same standard of painting that you fellows have. And I do believe that your beastmen army was the one that left me with awe at the Octocon tourney Squalie. I did see some of your pics before on the herdstone they are awesome as well.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:06 am

Up until about 6 months ago I was a hard core GW guy. Still am, I just feel the need to break the reg dwarf mold every now and again. I've ordered some figs from other suppliers and they're pretty sweet, but nobody beats RnF models or the overall standard GW does on their entire range. Also these are pics of the finished dwarf.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 am

great job, good fig....other than the axe. Looks too small for a mighty dwarf. Gold work looks sharp, I find it really tough to get a desent gold effect so good work.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:59 am

Yes indeed, very nice job. I also hate painting gold, I can never seem to get the right lighting effect.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:51 am

I finished off a Runesmith for the army. Still need to put the snow on, but other than that I think it's good enough.

Any crit's? It's not sealed yet so I can do whatever...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:12 pm

I like the metal on this guy. I think it has a suitable look for old dwarfen armour. It looks weathered but still has a shine to it. Well done! Other than that the front of this mini is pretty much just beard which you did well. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the back to see some of the other details but overall it looks good. The only thing I would suggest would be to paint the wrist guards he is wearing the same blue as your army to tie him in with the army or a brighter color to keep him from looking too bland.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:47 pm

nathanr wrote:I like the metal on this guy. I think it has a suitable look for old dwarfen armour. It looks weathered but still has a shine to it. Well done! Other than that the front of this mini is pretty much just beard which you did well. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the back to see some of the other details but overall it looks good. The only thing I would suggest would be to paint the wrist guards he is wearing the same blue as your army to tie him in with the army or a brighter color to keep him from looking too bland.

I like your suggestions Nathan. The wrist band is a deep green that I had been trying to use on most of my characters to try to keep them identifiable, but I don't know that it worked too well. I think I'll do the helmet in the same blue, and see how that looks. If it still looks a little blah then I'll re-do the wristband as well.

The back of the model looks like shit mostly. There's a shield I put like zero effort into on his back and the rest I just took shortcuts with. But don't tell anybody....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Thats ok, I painted the same guy in about an hour because I realized that I needed another runesmith for my mega-battle army! Obviously it doesn't look as good as your's but I think it looks ok.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 pm

nathanr wrote:Thats ok, I painted the same guy in about an hour because I realized that I needed another runesmith for my mega-battle army! Obviously it doesn't look as good as your's but I think it looks ok.

Yeah, goes without saying it doesn't look as good as my model. YEEEEASSSS! GOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top