Scott Radoms Army Challenge Dwarf Blog

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott Radoms Army Challenge Dwarf Blog

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:09 pm

As always, good work. I especially appreciate the wood grain effect on the drum stick "club". Funny one of the first things that caught my eye was the drum. Are you going to include a standard in the unit?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Carson wrote:As always, good work. I especially appreciate the wood grain effect on the drum stick "club". Funny one of the first things that caught my eye was the drum. Are you going to include a standard in the unit?

I may paint one for the unit at some point but I do not like putting standards in missile units. I think it's a poor decision to give 100 easy points to your opponent. A min unit of Dwarf Quarrelers with a musician and shield is worth 125 points. They can probably fight off most enemy fast cav and such but if they don't they will cough up 125 vs the 225 with a standard. I've yet to see where a single rank of dwarfs with a standard has been a good defensive option. I do like the musician for 5 points to boost to LD 10 for a rally and to break ties vs. solo characters or flying units. It also doesn't give my opponent the extra points.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:53 pm

If you see a charge coming you can always rank up. It depends on what kind of unit you want it to be: A light infantry unit that just happens to have crossbows or a pure missile unit. That is the beauty of dwarf Quarrellers: You can give them great weapons and/or shields and they become better infantry than most armies have, plus they have S4 30" missile weapons! Of course the move-or-fire nature of crossbows makes them significantly less potent. If you put a ranked-up unit of 15 (with command) or so on a hill to the flank of your main force it will take something more than fast cav/fliers to break through. Plus using them as infantry allows you to stand and shoot when you get charged, something most combat infantry can't do!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:25 pm

I'd sooner spend the turn shooting the enemy than reforming. A good opponent may just take the good luck and go somewhere else as that missile unit has just lost it's effectiveness by reducing it's shooting frontage by whatever. I would rather make my opponent charge the crossbowmen netting me not only the turn of shooting I didn't lose but I may either elect to try and stand and shoot or "withdraw in good order" from the charge. Dwarfs don't flee. I just don't think the option of arming your missile troops with a banner is a good one with the way I like to use them. I'm also not a fan of paying the bigger points for a missile unit and treating them as HtH troops with a bonus of happening to have the crossbow. Just too expensive!

But I may give it a whirl sometime soon and change my mind...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A little bit more work done....

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm

I have been acting on a few suggestions frolm some coolminiornot people and have been applying washes over my blue sleeves. Rather than the typical way I would apply a wash (Load up the brush and jam it on the model) I was putting some of the GW blue wash on thinned a little and using it like paint. 2-3 coats to get where you see below. Is it worth the extra effort? I don't know if it's conducive to the time restraints of this contest, but I do like the look a little better. The model on the left has had his sleeves done with the wash vs. the one on the right that hasn't...

And here the shield on the right has been shaded with the washes a little more.

Any thoughts?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 pm

I think I like the shirt without the wash, but the sheild sure looks good. Definately the sheilds.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:27 pm

I prefer the washes in both cases. Looks great.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 pm

Okay here's some pics of my September Dwarfs. a full unit of 10 quarellers for 125 points (shields/musician) and 6 ironbreakers w/musician for 84 points. Here they are, always feel free to comment good or bad....

There you are!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:53 am

Man, those pictures DID not look that crappy before I uploaded them. I am gonna pick up a tri-pod and a light tent next week.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 am

Hey I'm really impressed with these. Good work! The layers on the cloaks and shields are nicely done. Probably some of your best work.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks Carson,

Here's a sneak of my longbeards I am working on for next months entry. They are taking a loooooooong time to paint.

I'm pretty proud of him, but the pics are crap. Sorry for pic overload, but I was trying something out with the black t-shirt for a background. Don't think it worked though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:32 am

The dwarfs are looking really good! The pictures do leave something to be desired, but they are good enough to see and appreciate all the work that went into the painting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Holy smack. I'd rather smash Dwarf models with a rusty hammer than vote for them, but that is some fine painting. Excellent detail for rank and file. I'm going to really have to bring it for October. It's on like Donkey Kong!!!!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Longbeards

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 pm

So I am chugging along on the longbeards. Taking a long, long time! Here's some RnF with the unit standard. I decided to depict the standard as an actual book instead of what was probably meant to be a sculpture depicting an open book. Ah well. It'll be tough to get October done!

Last edited by ScottRadom on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Looking really good! I especially like the book. How many did you say you needed to paint this month?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 pm

They look even better in person. The book idea is a good one......the book of grudges. Mostly filled with the evil beatings you've taken from my dark elves in the past!!!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Scott, what method do you use to paint gold?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:22 am

squalie wrote:Scott, what method do you use to paint gold?

I use Vallejo game and model colors. I start with tinny bitz (GC) and then a bronze color, followed by old gold, their shiniest gold.

Thanks for the comments guys!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BSB Done

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm

My Battle Standard is done. This is an absolute must in any defensively themed army! Lot's of pics, comments always welcome, especially bad ones!

October is nearly done, I need about twenty points or so...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Excellent work. Not really a fan of the fig....too much hair around the staff....but you did it well. How come green for the helmet though?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:23 pm

I want to try and break up the monotony of the grey/blue/metal in the army at least a little bit. Thought I'd put a few small color switches in on the characters and champions and stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More Core!

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Well I'm making progress on the core blocks of the army. Got a good start on the warriors and knocked off a few more longbeards. Think I'll flame cannon my way to 200 this month so i can work on some O&G stuff I've been looking forward to for a while...

Fire Away. Upon inspection I see that the script on the banner is OFF FREAKIN' CENTER! Agh.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 am

Don't worry about the banner... dwarfs are used to chiseling things in stone not writing on flimsy flowing banners like fancy-pants elves! If it were a stone tablet it would be perfectly centered and square to the world! The only criticism I have is that the banner looks like it is shiney. It might just be the picture but you might want to hit it with a bit more matte sealer or something. Unless that is highlighting, in which case well done, you fooled me!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:44 am

It's defo Matte in real life. One coat Armory Matte Sealer then a couple blasts with testors dullcote. There is some highlighting done on there, but it's not much and looks kinda crappy so it must be the picture quality.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Scott youv'e got to pick up the new dwarf hero from maxmini for this army......its up over on CMON.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:06 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top