Post  Lord_Stash on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Who wants to feel the pain Friday?

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: looking for some new opponents for Friday the 16th

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 am

I can play you anytime after 5.

Anyone want a game after I deal with Stash?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 am

Hey everyone.

Tough request here I have to make in the spirit of Saskatoon fair play..........Stash is running a completely Themed Troll army with huge inherent weakness's. Lets all keep this in mind and not tailor our armies with min max flaming abilities.

Remember the object is for both players to have fun and an equal chance to win......nuff said!

Unless he is not completely trolled out...........then beat the hell out of him Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 am

Carson wrote:Hey everyone.

Tough request here I have to make in the spirit of Saskatoon fair play..........Stash is running a completely Themed Troll army with huge inherent weakness's. Lets all keep this in mind and not tailor our armies with min max flaming abilities.

Boo to list tailors Evil or Very Mad

Eric I could play you after your game with stash. say 7-730 ish??

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Actually, I won't be able to make it Friday at all now.

Last day of finals, and lots of grad parties and shit planned. Sorry. I'll take you both on sometime next week if possible!

Also, I have some stuff in my army that will wreck trolls. But I bring it every game. Wink

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm

No big deal. Next week then!

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am

I think I can make it for a game (or two) tonight, I won't be able to make it much earlier than 8 though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey just because Stash took a themed army doesn't compel me to not take flaming runes. Suck it up! I played three games that day and used the same list in all three wether or not I changed it to play trolls or not shouldn't matter. Stash has a list that is not completly trolls and has other effective units to support. The fact that he is taking a themed army is more like him saying 'I have enough skill to play and be competitive with a list not everyone else can.'

I have tried to run similar gauntlets myself when I was playing ogres. I had a list with Skragg and eight gorgers that didn't fair very well or my list that included 4 blocks of gnoblars. I have tried many diffferent army lists that don't work the key is to finding those supporting units to your centralized theme that will minimize their weaknesses.

I don't think that it is fair to tell people to not take something that the other player has to overcome, me being somewhat new to the game and I know certain things are weak but isnt that part of the game? This will lead into all sorts of problems like 'I don't think anyone should be allowed to take Lore of Metal against my Dwarfs because its no fun when I cant make armor saves'. TOUGH I deal with it so should everyone else.

Rereading this I come off sounding like a deuche but so be it. My point is Stash, your list is new to you I only scored a minor victory and don't see that any of my flaming runes turned the sway of the battle and this seems directed at me so have it right back. Anytime you want a rematch lets do it!

Fluff wise any general leading his army out against a known army book and doesn't come prepared for the possibilities that army book can generate is not a very good general.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Actually I wasn't directing the post to anyone in particular but to the whole community.

The one redeeming factor that Trolls have is regeneration. If you completely negate that ability someone with a completely trolled out army will probably have more fun banging his head into a wall than playing a game with them. Since the object of our league is for everyone to have fun I thought I should remind all of us of the ideals of fairplay and sportsmanship.

I think your missing the boat on Generalship skills. Picking units or items out of book too beat a single army does in no way make you a good general....it just means you know how to read.

So don't worry Andre, I wasn't directing anything to you, in fact I have no idea what took place in Stash's games so far or even if he was trolled out.

And like I said before, if he's deviating from his troll theme then kick his head in with whatever you can muster in your army, otherwise give the guy a fighting chance.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 pm

I dunno Carson, I'm in Andre's camp on this one.

Not so specific to this instance, as I don't care about a troll army at all and know nothing of the circumstances.

Here in town we sort of run the ole agreement of players normally taking a well rounded tourny style of army. That being one that is not specifically tailored to his opponent's army. BUT.... usually with this sort of arrangement that we have in town it's not as easy to tailor a list specific to an army if that army in question is more well rounded.

So if a dude turns around and makes a decidedly one dimensional list the game WILL turn into more of a rock-paper-scissors style of play. So if someone says "This friday I am taking rock. Good 'ole trusty, brain smashing rock! Can't wait to unleash the power of rock" I don't know that we can blame an opponent for taking paper, and not scissors to the battle.

Everyone knows I am not a fan of 40K. Mostly it's because I find the entire game lends it to a rock-paper-scissors style of army build. And then discussions like this occur. Not picking on anyone in the league here, as I don't think anyone especially Stash is upset about their games as of late.

I'd like Stash to play his troll list. And I really want to see that trollking model! Stash isn't, and shouldn't, cry if someone takes an empire magic army and says "Ooh, I'll take the lore of fire with my mages for this game" or anything like that. It happens.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:43 pm

After I talked to Dom I found out I wasn`t the only one with fire powers.

I will also add that Stash`s list was unplayed and unknown to most of us so he should expect to see what kills trolls coming at him. However if I were to vastly dominate his list in numerous games I would tool my list the other way to see what else I can beat him with as that is the other fun part of the hobby.

Compare it to most strategy games the fun is in the figuring and the damnation is in the dice.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:38 am

yeah the whole thing is, I was just making a case to the whole group to remember what makes the hobby fun. I definitly wasn't aiming the request at anyone. I'm maybe too much of a warhammer idealist and want to see warhammer and our league at its best.

Speaking for myself, if I know someone is bringing a "rock" army I'll purposely choose a "scissors" force to make the game as tough and interesting as possible.

Point taken though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:54 am

I think that I agree in part with both sides of the discussion here. A couple of leagues ago I took my themed bretonnian list and played the same list, unchanged throughout the league and playoffs. Granted I didn't have the obvious weaknesses that an all-troll army has (fire) but I found that as the league went on I started losing more often. I don't think people were tailoring their lists to defeat me but by taking the same army every time I was making it really easy for them to plan for the game and come up with ways to counter my army and play on my weaknesses. It didn't bother me because I knew what I was getting into and I was having fun with the challege. Hopefully Stash is up to the challenge he's going to face in taking a themed army this league, I think he will do better to change his list up a bit from time to time just to keep his opponents on their toes though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Wow, naturally the thread takes off after the last time I logged in.

Well my army isnt 100% trolls, just the foundation (meat) of the army is. The rest revolves around the theme of troll country.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top